Author Topic: New pond water  (Read 3048 times)

Offline fishegg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
New pond water
« on: July 28, 2010, 05:15:06 AM »
Just found this site this month, tons of info and great exchange of information.

Have a question, I'm just finishing up a pond install at my house, an upper 6x9 with a stream down to a 10x4. I bought an Atlantic kit with Filterfalls and Skimmer. As construction progressed I filled the upper pond to settle the liner and hold it in place, this week I filled the lower pond and fired it up. Since the the upper pond was filled for about 2 weeks with hot weather it has some green film growing which has also started in the lower one. Understanding that I'm establishing an ecosystem here but also wanting to do it right, should I just move forward, treat the water and turn it on or drain it down, clean them out and start fresh? My gut is tell me it's going to grow stuff anyway, and the mosquito larvae will probably be around as well, so leave it. There is a little bit of stone debris in the bottom of one pond, but nothing sizable.

Thanks for your input, cool site.  O0
Erik

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: New pond water
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 07:07:58 AM »
I'm not an expert on anything and especially new ponds.  But I'd leave it alone and let it cycle.  Some small goldfish will eat mosquito larve if you are concerned with that.  Once you get good bacteria going in there with plants and fish it should take care of itself.  I don't even know if you are planning on fish or what kind or where you are located--since that all makes a difference--but since your name is fishegg, well I thought you might be planning on it.   ;)

Others will weigh in I'm sure. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline fishegg

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »
I'm in Northeast Massachusetts and have a bunch of Hyacinth and water lettuce on standby, free on Craigslist. I am planning on fish, probably just a dozen 4" goldfish or so, really want to focus on balance the first year and not over invest in things I might lose
Erik

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »
 If it's set up let'r rip. As long as your water supply does not contain chloramines you should be able to add your fish in a couple of days once the chlorine dissipates. If your water supply does contain chloramines you will need to treat the water before adding fish.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:20:03 PM »
I also agree with frogman...put in the hyacinths and lettuce...they will help to clarify and filter your water.  The fish should be fine also--unless you have city water and need to add a de-chlorinator.  I wouldn't drain and start over, your pond just needs to get started.  Fish don't mind green water--but we ponders do.   ;)   {:-P;;
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline fishegg

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:45:56 PM »
I do have town water but it has been sitting for a week, I added the Vanish and other start-up chemicals and let it run for an hour and tossed the plants in, I'm not getting fish until Sunday so that will be a solid 4 days of cycling before they splash. So exciting to see it working, now I just have some fiinal wall work and landscaping to do. .  . o(
Erik

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 04:53:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum...........we always enjoy seeing pictures.  ;)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »
Yes!  What Karen said!   :welcome:
LuAnn

Offline fishegg

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:17:20 PM »
coming soon
Erik

Offline bulldog

• Members
  • With us since: 08/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
just a little bit of advice make sure you have at least 2/3 shade this will help with algae growth as algae uses sunlight to reproduce. The less sun light the better the water will look and a good bacteria is a good start I have found that atlantic's bacteria works just fine I buy mine at Webb water supply online. Best of luck and happy pondering and welcome.

Bulldog

Offline trish

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 06:32:39 AM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new pond. 

The majority of new ponds (and in the spring for established ones) go through an algae bloom, but it usually doesn't last long once the plants start growing and competing for nutrients.  It'll pass on it's own or you can look into getting a UV.

Also, for ponds to get truly cycled you need an ammonia source, which most of us use fish waste.  Added commercial bacteria alone will not cycle the pond unless the pond has an ammonia in it to feed off of, else the bacteria will die.  I didn't understand this totally until I set up an aquarium, then it finally kicked in for me because it's much more critical to be aware of in a small body of water.

The link below is a simplified explanation of the nitrogen cycle that a pond goes through.  Jerry - if it is against forum policy to paste links to another pond site, please remove and I'll try to verbalize it on my own.   :)

http://pondpets.com/nitrogencycle.htm

One thing I did want to bring up, then I'll get off my soapbox  {:-P;; is this from the information Tap water kills the bacteria you have worked so hard to establish.   I used to never add dechlor when I topped off the pond, but never again will I not.  Chlorinated water kills beneficial bacteria and I'd rather not take the chance of upsetting my pond cycle.

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
I visited a local nursery again today. I looked into the beautiful above ground pond they had created late last fall and it was crystal clear. I noticed that all the fish they had in it were gone. This pond was built closer to the front of the establishment so they could get more lookers and possible buyers for they are now building ponds for a fee. The old pond was eight years old and nearer the back of the property. It was established and always crystal clear.

My wife and I had visited early this spring while it was still cold out. I told her I thought this pond would be terribly green soon if they did not add plants and some shade. The filter was /is tiny. It has a very nice large waterfall.
A gentleman thats works there asked if he could help me. I asked what they had done with their large Koi. He pointed at a 100 stock tank and said they were in there while they cleaned the pond. (thats another story) He told me of the chemicals they had used and was going to wait a few days before putting the fish back in. He then told me that this was the 3rd time since last fall they had removed everything and pressure washed all the sides and rocks. Added chemicals and he said this time they added some pool shock. With his ponds starting at $2,500 and as displayed here $13,000 signs all around it, I felt uncomfortable trying to educate this man. I simply told him about mine and my first few months battle. It has been clear every since.
Fishegg: I would recommend you not try to change your water to clear things up. Just understand that a pond has to cycle. Keep cleaning the filters and don't give up.

Offline fishegg

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 06:10:37 AM »
So it was July 28th when I first posted my question. I fired up my pond that weekend, treated with the start up chemicals and added bacteria twice since then, we also bought a couple hardy lilies. The green water continued to worsen but everything I read here pointed to normal pond start-up. I now have some water hyacinth, lettuce, two types of celery and a lily in each pond, also added 15 goldfish between the two. A half dozen frogs have also taken up residence. I will note that I didn't feed the fish for about a week, started that this past Sunday. Sunday I also added some liquid barley extract and tested my water. I haven't done the hardness test yet but my pH was 7.6-7.8 and ammonia, nitrates and nitrites were all zero. And... in the last 24 hours the water has cleared up, this could be the barley or balance, either way, I think I'm heading in the right direction. I added a NU-foam pad to my skimmer also. I haven't messed with cleaning either the filter falls or skimmer yet, other than to empty the skimmer net. I thought that balance and establishing a ecosystem took priority. Cleaning cycles on filter falls seems to vary quite a bit from what I read and hear, I'm not going to mess with it if it's working for now.

I've loaded a bunch of progression shots on Photobucket, I'm done for this year I think. It still needs some tweaking here and there, but I'm very happy, next year I need to tackle hiding the liner along the front wall, just didn't have it in me. I built that wall early on and wasn't looking forward to tearing it apart to hide the liner. Technically I started this around June 25th, I had 2 hard weeks of site prep and whining about how much work I didn't realize it was going to be and then 4 weeks of sporadic work and completion on August 9th.

So please enjoy the pics, I love the Dallas lily that we bought, the other is a Reflective Flame, no bloom shots yet for that one.

http://s827.photobucket.com/albums/zz191/eggdog123/Pond%20project%202010/?start=all
Erik

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 08:18:44 AM »
Nice.  I like the multi-level look.  I envy people who can plan.  I just dig and go.  lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »
Wow!  Beautiful setting for a very well thought out pond...it really looks like your homework and patience have paid off.  Hope you have been enjoying it!!   O0
LuAnn

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
WOW!  What an awesome job!  You sure planned it beautifully in the space you used. 

I think that once the bacteria builds up your water will stay crystal clear.  Should you wash the mats or filter materials remember to wash them in de-chlorinated water or use pond water to rinse some of the gunk off.  At least any bacteria on the material will still be alive when you put everything back.  I rarely clean out my bio filters during the year but I do shut off the pumps when I drain the gunk out of the bottom of the filter box for fertilizing my garden.   O0  Great stuff.

Your pond looks like it had a great start, it will look even better when the greenery all grows in.  Thanks for sharing.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"