Author Topic: Lily Pads  (Read 1817 times)

Offline migsly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 01/02/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
Lily Pads
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:27:28 AM »
How deep does the water have to be for lily pads to bloom? My pond is about a foot deep and the pads never bloom. When I had them in deeper water, one bloomed.
Margo

Genesis 1:21
So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lily Pads
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:46:25 AM »
 Hi Migsly.

Most waterlilies will bloom better in deeper water. My theory is that when the water gets very shallow the plant feels threatened by drought and it will turn from blooming to make seeds to making little hard tuber like rhizomes under the main plants. These hard little nubs can survive drought better than a fat soft rhizome with leaves.  The fat rhizome dries up and dies but the hard little nubs survive until the water returns. Not only does the waterlily "think" "hey my water is drying up so why use energy making seeds that will just dry out and die and I need to make survival tubers"  but the survival tubers make dormancy hormones that turn off flowering and since the flowering crowns can't grow fast enough to out-run the hormones because of the stress from drought, the hormones catch up with the crowns and they quit blooming like fall is approaching.

Varieties with Mexicana in their heritage are less prone to this in general but certain varieties are better than others.  Clyde Ikins is one of the best waterlilies there is and by my guess and limited experience with shallow water  I believe that it would be one of the best that you can have in your situation.  Many old varieties with predominantly European-Odorata heritage are much more susceptible to this I believe. Any hardy waterlily that produces a lot of dormant tuber-rhizomes will stop blooming unless they are fertilized well enough and have a big enough pot or jump the pot. The combination of small pot, low fertility, shallow water and being an older variety that makes to many dormant tuber-rhizomes, and isn't a great bloomer to begin with, is the perfect recipe for having no blooms.

Since your water is shallow I assume that you pond is also not very big.This means that you want a compact plant. Shallow water promotes compactness. Instead of planting in a very small pot to keep your waterlilies small use a bigger wide shallow pot and put them in shallow water, 6-10 in. above the soil, and do leaf pruning to keep it in bounds. Don't fertilize too much, just enough to keep the leaves green and growing. Avoid old varieties that don't bloom well like Gonnerre and any varieties that don't bloom well late in the season because they are heavy tuberoid producers and a lot of trouble and disappointment. Most whites are poor late bloomers because they are close to the white species and don't have a lot of breeding behind them.

Another big problem is that you live in Florida. Very few hardies bloom well in the hot south by mid summer. Especially if if you have the situation that I describe above. Variety is EVERYTHING for you. By all means get yourself a Mankala Ubol waterlily.  Also I hear that Colorado blooms well in the south. Just make sure that you fertilize it and give it a good size pot like I describe. They are both orange pinks and Clyde is orange yellow and they all have Mexicana in them. Laydekery Fulgens is a good blooming red that does good in the hot south I hear. All of these plants are medium to medium small.I have a new hot red-pink hardy X tropical that Rich Sacher has been testing in New Orleans and he says that is a fantastic hardy waterlily of its color for the south. It has dark marbled leaves and never stops blooming and never burns. Also it opens before 6 o'clock in the morning. It should come to market in the next year or so.

I hope this helps.

Mike.

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »
Thanks Mike. That's very informative.  :)

Since your water is shallow I assume that you pond is also not very big.

That's right. My pond is '3 X 3' around. It's little more than a puddle. No wonder my lily pads were afraid of a drought. I did wonder what those tubers.

Instead of planting in a very small pot to keep your waterlilies small use a bigger wide shallow pot and put them in shallow water, 6-10 in. above the soil, and do leaf pruning to keep it in bounds.

I have sand at the bottom of my pond and the waterlilies are planted directly into the sand. I found that the pots made the pond smell so I quit using them.

I will do as you suggested and see what happens.

Margo

So God created the great sea creatures and every living creature that moves, with which the waters swarm, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 09:52:38 AM »

Go ahead and plant them directly in the bottom, that's just fine.
you should be able to thin them and remove old rhizomes right in your pond bottom especially since it's so shallow.

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 10:13:53 AM »
ok. Thanks.
Margo

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
Do not forget to fertilize, waterlilies are heavy feeders and sand does not contain enough nutrients to force blooming.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline migsly

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Love My Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Thanks Sean.
Margo

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"