Author Topic: Silk Tree Bloom  (Read 2699 times)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
Silk Tree Bloom
« on: August 17, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »
The Silk Tree has fianlly decided to bloom for us this year. I think it bloom last year too but we were not around to see it. I started these trees about 12 years ago from seed so it's been a long time waiting for blooms but well worth it.               

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Silk Tree Bloom
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »
here is mine. it likes a warmer climate..I think
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 04:17:25 PM »
Such delicate blooms.  Your patience finally paid off  O0

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 04:41:02 PM »
Jerry, They do like warm climates and are only marginally hardy here. I wish my tree looked as nice as yours. Mine struggles and almost dissappears in hard winters. I try to remember to mulch it with leaves in fall. That helps but sometimes I forget.
Mikey, I wasn't a very patient person but gardening has sure changed that. So much in gardening takes time perserverance and lots of patients as you well know.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 05:01:41 PM »
more
those are Birds of Paradise below.  Photo from a season or 2 ago.
Hey, If I had to do what you do, Id likely have quit, Go get em girl!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
Silk trees grow like weeds here in Alabama and are scattered everywhere. They are all around my parents yard.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 07:52:28 PM »
And here I stuggle to keep one alive! Some days I wish I lived in a warmer climate.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:06:39 PM »
That's a mimosa......right?
They are hardy here and bloomed about six weeks ago, but they are blooming again right now.  Our son lives in his Grandma's house and has planted a lot in the last couple years.  I suggested a mimosa because years ago she had one in the front yard.  He hunted for a long time and ended up driving 60 miles to get one.  Then they started blooming and we saw them everywhere in peoples yards, with little ones popping up all around.   I'm going to ask a friend for a little seedling.  Sure hope I don't have to wait twelve years for blooms.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 04:55:47 AM »
How beautiful!  I love the leaves....!  You can't believe the trees and shrubs and flowers I have planted from the pics and suggestions off of this site... @O@
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 06:40:49 AM »
I do hear them called Mimosa. Not 100% sure that is correct.  The leaves, by the way are light sensative.  Seedlings pop up everywhere.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
I loved this tree when I first started my garden way back when.  It grew around office buildings here so I planted one too.  After 10 years it grew too big and got too messy (flowers and leaves leave a mess), so I got rid of it.  :P Still admire the ones around the offices and enjoy their gardeners cleaning up after them. O0

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
Not a problem I will every have!!

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »
Yes, Karen, they are also known as Mimosa.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 06:25:44 PM »
Hey Maryvonne:

Very nice, you always have a green thumb getting things to bloom in Surrey.  Is it warmer on the island and how soon will you guys move?

Gary

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »
Thanks Gary. I love pushing the limits with my tropicals. The rewards of seeing something bloom even if it takes several years is always worth the wait. It will be slightly warmer on the Island when we get there. We still don't have a date. The city has finally done the development plan for the area but of course the economy isn't as strong so it's a wait and see for now. In the meantime we are moving on with our lives. Pete has gotten back into flying and I am getting back into fitness, riding my new bike etc. Pete has bought himself a plane (Cessna 182) from Minisota. It's being ferried in and should arrive tomorrow weather permitting. We are also enjoying short trips on our respite weekends. With the plane we will be able to go a bit farther out and spend  less time traveling.
How are things going for you? Is the house sold yet? Your new place in really looking nice.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 09:18:34 PM »
This is a Cessna 182  May you soar like the Eagles Maryvonne & Pete
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »
Hi Maryvonne:

Good for you...I think I need to be on that bike for the next year or so...LOL, I would probably keel over at this point.  Is Pete confused, I thought he was putting together a helicopter or is he just looking for a new toy?  Is there a landing strip on the island?  It would be fun to get one of those water planes I always see taking off in Vancouver Harbor.  I wonder if they are easier or more difficult to fly?

We are hopeful, but without luck at this point  4 months into selling our house.  the relators indicate it has nothing to do with price, there really are no buyers out there right now.  Hopefully the economy will pick up soon for both our sakes.

Good luck,

Gary

Offline maryvonne

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
Nice plane Jerry! Ours is much older 1959 and not quite as cute! It arrived about 1 hour ago after a crazy flight in today from Spokane. The ferry pilot encountered nasty winds around Seattle and had to land at several airports before finally being able to land it in Canada. He missed his flight back home from Bellingham so Pete is driving him down to Seattle to catch a late night flight home.
No Gary Pete isn't confused. The helicopter is coming along now. The body is painted and he's busy getting the wiring in order. It's quite a job. There is so much wire in there it looks like large lumps of spagetti!! He has reactivated his private fixed wing liscense in order to be able to learn how to fly the helicopter. He hopes to go to school in Pheonix in the spring or fall 2011. Then it will be sold. It really was just a fun project. The plane is much more practical. Pete had one when we got married and sold it so we could buy our first home.
There are lots of small airstrips on the Island and we hope to have fun re-exploring them. Pete has several pilot friends including one who flies the Martin Mars. The water planes are really cool. The Cessna 182 can be converted but it's just too expensive, but we would love to be able to have one.
Sorry to hear the house sale isn't going well. We have the same problem with the property on the island, no buyers in that area. There is still some hope for this one. The real estate market is holding it's own for now in this area but who knows for how much longer?

Good luck to you too. Hopefully things turn around for us all soon.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"