Author Topic: Koi Not Eating  (Read 1361 times)

Offline DaleW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Koi Not Eating
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:35:02 PM »
Purchased 4 small koi about a month ago and they have been hiding under and around a large boulder in my new pond (about 10 x 14 and 4 feet deep) and will not to eat. So a couple of weeks later purchased 5 more (buy 2 get 3 free sale) which were slightly larger thinking these would be older and perhaps not so shy. They too are in hiding although I see one will venture on occasion out but none respond to my offering of small quantities of a fall/spring feed.

Pond has been installed for about 4 months and a algae coat is forming on the liner walls so I suspect they are feeding on that.

So should I now wait till spring before getting concerned given the season tho I suspect water temperature is above 55F though I need to confirm.

How long do koi need for to acclimate to new surroundings? And what can be done to encourage them to vacate their hiding area? I want to see them.

Dale

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Koi Not Eating
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 03:53:43 PM »
Dale where are you located? I am in Missouri and I am not feeding my fish anymore until next spring.

Offline DaleW

• Members
  • With us since: 20/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »
Hi Vickie

I am located in central Indiana, a bit west of Indianapolis. Guess I should stop feeding also. I would like to get these little guys to show themselves on occasion but maybe by next spring they will be acclimated and be less timid.

Dale

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »
Dale, you need to put a therometer in your pond. When temperature gets 50 degrees or
below, the food stays in the fish's stomach, doesn't digest, and causes bacteria, which
is very harmful.  I live in Memphis, look at my water temperature regular in case it
drops.  My fish are always hungry it seems, or so they indicate to me anyway, even if
they've just been fed.  LOL

Marie

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 06:41:15 PM »
Dale I think you better quit feeding them too until next spring. I think they are just scared. Marie is right at 50* stop feeding. Today I did put duckweed in pond for big koi. They can eat natural things in the pond . They can eat algae , but not food we feed.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
I'm still feeding mine and I'm north of you. But what happens to the food you put in? Do they sneak out later and eat it? Are you saying you are worried that they aren't eating or just that they won't come out when you are there?

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 05:45:13 AM »
It took about 2 years before the fish in my pond got brave enough to greet me when I came with food!! o( o(:-)

They still have bouts of shyness, usually when something spooks them they will go days of staying on the bottom! (heron visit, dog falling in >:(-...)

I also have what I call the Alpha fish o(, she is Koi and if she says 'dont eat' they dont!!! She is extreamly shy, but she must go first or no one goes! My pond is 2 Large Koi, several shubunkins and several gold fish and one fantail gold fish.
Lori TX

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 03:50:35 PM »
LOL@Alphafish

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »
You have to understand that fish are on the bottom of the food chain---small fish are really on the bottom so they will be skiddish...they will adjust to their surroundings and start coming up in time...I would get a thermometer and see what the temps are--it may just be that its too cold for them to want to eat also...I just bought a cheap $1 one and tied a string to it--I toss it in and let it sink to the bottom and then read it in a few minutes--then take it back in the house...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »
Does your pond have any plants or cover for the fish? If it doesn't you might add some to help them feel more secure. Otherwise in our ponds which generally have clear water, they can feel too exposed. They'd be in muddy ponds with lots of plants naturally which provides plenty of cover from predators.

I'd stop feeding them.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"