Author Topic: Ooooo (BRRRR)..... Aaaaaaahhh  (Read 3834 times)

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ooooo (BRRRR)..... Aaaaaaahhh
« on: January 11, 2007, 03:41:35 PM »
 8)
This morning and last summer.....
Take Care... Dave

HMMMM.... It posted the pictures in the opposite order that I did....  Ah well...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:48:20 PM by finnpond »

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Ooooo (BRRRR)..... Aaaaaaahhh
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 04:59:45 AM »
Nice photos! The tall treelike thing in the back - is that a yucca? Very cool, especially with the white frosting. I like your plantings around the pond.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 07:29:27 AM »
Hi SheilaJ... It is a Dracaena....  Not supposed to be as hardy as this one has been!!!  We've had it outside for 6 years and it's been subjected to freezing weather, snow, etc., etc.  I do have have Christmas lights on it right now, hoping it will help get it thru this latest bout of sub-freezing temps.  We have a couple others that are outdoors and they are doing well, along with some Hebe, which are also kinda tender......... 

I think maybe the moving water in the WF and pond help keep the air moving and raise the temperature slightly...  It's one of those deals where if you lose it, you replace it with something else...

Thanks....   Dave

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 07:59:51 AM by finnpond »

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 08:48:09 AM »
Nice pics Dave!  I'd love a tree like that draceana (or whatever you called it lol) but I doubt it could survive here.. so where are you that it does?

9.9 here this morning
Mary

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 09:12:11 AM »
frlolady...

Just over the mountains from you!!!!  Oly, Wa.  Although I'm originally from Oroville, up in the Okanogan....  That's with an 'o', for all you Canadians!!!
I'm in Yakima alot as my company contracts to Pacific Power..  I had crews actually working in Cowiche this year.... 

And you are right, the dracaena probably wouldn't make it at your place...  unless you kept it inside during the winter!!!

Take Care....  Dave

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 06:32:46 AM »
Either which way Dave, your pond is beautiful!  O0

Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 07:05:48 AM »
Do you know what variety of dracaena it is? We use many varieties a lot in my work as an interior landscaper but I find they get cold damaged quite easily  - 30 seconds outdoors in the winter while delivering can cause real damage. Perhaps yours gets acclimated more gradually, but still - I thought they couldn't handle freezing at all.

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 07:42:17 AM »
I think it may be a yucca Sheila.
They are often mislabeled by the growers.
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 10:30:26 PM »
Looks lovely!

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 11:17:01 PM »
We keep toying with moving to Oregon or Washington where we have family in both states.  I find your photos above to be encouraging to me since I love to garden and have never lived where there are four seasons.....  Thanks for sharing
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 04:49:35 PM »
Gorgeous pond and wonderful pics . . . . but I think I'll forego the snow pics in favor of slightly warmer weather . . . .

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 04:26:36 PM »
Ooooh pretty, both pics.  I really like the top one, but the snow covered one is beautiful too.  Would make a beautiful Christmas card.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 04:54:59 PM »
Howdy...   Been on the road for a few days, so I'm tardy getting back to you all.....

Thank you for the compliments...

Mikey...  Where in the Pacific NW?  We have been fortunate enough to live in Alaska, Hawaii, Florida, California and Utah...  And though I miss the warm places;  I really thank my lucky stars to be able to finish my working career up here....  If I need hot and dry I can go to Eastern Oregon or Eastern Washington in the summer, and the same places for cold and snow in the winter...  If I want temperate, damp and warm in the winter, and uh, ......damp and warm in the summer........I stay on the coast side of the Cascades.... LOL...   the last several summers have been absolutely beautiful on this side of the mountains ..... If we really need a shot of sunshine we go to Hawaii for awhile...

Joyce... I've been searching for the tag for that plant, but 6 years ago might be asking too much for my level of organization..  and in any case, the tag could be wrong as you suggest.... I get many comments regarding it from visitors,  everyone thinks it is a palm....  Do Yucca flower?  This plant has never shown any inclination to send any type of flower or seed up.....  Anyway,.. we just like the tropical look it imparts......

Teresa..  We are Zone 8 here, probably very similar to Atlanta in temperature.... and usually only have one or two snow events per year...

Thanks again...  Dave

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 05:18:37 PM »
Teresa..  We are Zone 8 here, probably very similar to Atlanta in temperature.... and usually only have one or two snow events per year...

Zone 8 is a bit warmer than we are . . . . we're zone 7b.  We don't get annual snow events tho - in fact only get hit with snow every couple years or so . . . . Still, this week it's definitely not warm enough for me even here in the deep south . . . . Think I should head to Costa Rica for a month or two . . . .

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 07:57:50 PM »
Well...  My wife's organizational abilities are most certainly better than mine...   The tag from the plant says it is a "Cordyline Indivisa"... Hardy to 30 degrees... My SIL's neighbor has one that is 20' tall...  So maybe the larger they get the more they can take... 

Take Care...   Dave

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »
I love both pictures but right now I would sure love to see some flowers around mine.. :)

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »
frlolady...

Just over the mountains from you!!!!  Oly, Wa.  Although I'm originally from Oroville, up in the Okanogan....  That's with an 'o', for all you Canadians!!!
I'm in Yakima alot as my company contracts to Pacific Power..  I had crews actually working in Cowiche this year.... 

And you are right, the dracaena probably wouldn't make it at your place...  unless you kept it inside during the winter!!!

Take Care....  Dave

Hi Dave, I'm a newbee here and been going threw these old threads and came one this one. Couldn't help but send you a note as I live in Tonasket. We have lived here for 11 years now full time but had property here for about 20 years. I love it here! And we even have a home Depot now in Omak! Big timers now!Before here we lived in Arlington, but I was raised over there except for a few years my parents decided we should live in Alaska. I grew up mostly out on the Olimpic Panisulla(sp) so I really know damp! 
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 04:57:56 PM »
 8)
Howdy OutsideGirl...   Yep, born and raised in Oroville, graduated 1966.  My son, Kai, graduated from Tonasket in 1991....  I'm back in the OK Valley alot..  My brother has a place on Lake Osoyoos, so we visit often...  Frozen over this year and I think its been awhile for that to happen.  I love the valley, but my wife got to choose where to settle down this time, after dragging her from Olympia 25 years ago.......

I'll be up in your neck of the woods this Spring, as we do work for the PUD and this years project is in the Ellisforde area...

Take Care...  Dave

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 08:24:29 PM »
Cordyline, huh? Very cool. Thanks for the ID. Too cold to grow outdoors here. I do have a nice hardy yucca, though, that threw off a flower stem about 9 feet high one year! Dracaenas bloom too, but they are small flowers, quite easy to overlook, although I am told they are very fragrant at night.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2007, 10:24:44 AM »
8)
Howdy OutsideGirl...   Yep, born and raised in Oroville, graduated 1966.  My son, Kai, graduated from Tonasket in 1991....  I'm back in the OK Valley alot..  My brother has a place on Lake Osoyoos, so we visit often...  Frozen over this year and I think its been awhile for that to happen.  I love the valley, but my wife got to choose where to settle down this time, after dragging her from Olympia 25 years ago.......

I'll be up in your neck of the woods this Spring, as we do work for the PUD and this years project is in the Ellisforde area...

Take Care...  Dave
I live across the river and 3 miles South of there on old hwy. 7. Feel free to look us up!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2007, 08:51:22 AM »
Mikey, next time you are here maybe we can go visit Dave together? He is about two hours away.
As far as moving to the PNW, I only have the experience of two but both myself and my father have struggled physically and mentally with the weather here after living in sunny climates. He retired to Palm Springs for seven years and now lives in Redmond on the dry side of the mountains but has seemed to really have aged. Is achy and depressed and I moved back here from Phoenix and have wanted to move ever since but Bob won't even think about it. I gained weight every year and huddle under blankets all winter. The frustration of seeing weeds grow and plants that need to be divided or pruned but having the ground so soggy it is like a bog and every bit of foliage soaked and the rain still coming down makes me miserable. Your experience may be different. ;)

Dave, love your pond, I recognized it in the pond magazine I just got, the one that plugs this forum.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline finnpond

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 06:44:14 PM »
 8)
LeeAnne.....  You're welcome here any time...  That goes for anyone else that is visiting or lives around here..  Here being Olympia, Washington....  Tried to make the Partay but had other things happening...  Man, what a gorgeous day here in the Pacific NW!!!!!  70*, sunny................. and rain tomorrow :(.......

Dave

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 04:25:40 AM »
8)
LeeAnne.....  You're welcome here any time...  That goes for anyone else that is visiting or lives around here..  Here being Olympia, Washington....  Tried to make the Partay but had other things happening...  Man, what a gorgeous day here in the Pacific NW!!!!!  70*, sunny................. and rain tomorrow :(.......

Dave

Ah gees, I thought I was on the warm side of the hill?  :'( We saw 70 a week or so ago! Altho we are still a bit warmer than the normal.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"