Author Topic: Frost on the ISG.  (Read 2364 times)

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Frost on the ISG.
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
Some of my H X T lilies are the latest blooming lilies that I have ever seen.

One in particular, H X T 1,08, just keeps going and going with 8 in. flowers that open fully and stay open day and night for around 8 days !

It was opening this flower when it went down to the low 20s and the frost got it. I guess it signals the last flower of the season around here because it is one of the last plants blooming and I doubt that its next flower will excape freezing if it can even open.

This plant has a radial growth habit just like a tropical and does not make offshoots yet.
Similar to Siam Blue Hardy I guess.

I am going to put it in the greenhouse this winter for safety sake.  I'm sure it would survive the winter but I dont want to risk it if I can get it to divide next year because it is so outstanding in so many ways and it is my first H X T to flower so it has sentimental value. It represents 5 years at hard labor finaly coming to fruition.

Purple Satin is spending the winter outside and I took a cuting from it and it is in the greenhouse.

Royal Satin is making offshoots but I put the whole plant in the greenhouse for safety.

H X T 10,08 and H X T 5,08 are also divided, both are outside and in the greenhouse.

All of the rest are in gallon pots still and will go in the greenhouse for safety. Once they divide I will test them for hardiness next winter.  My bet is that they are ALL hardy.
If that turns out to be the case I will allways leave the F1s out the first winter.

H X T 1,08

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Frost on the ISG.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »
They are so beautiful.  I am looking forward to seeing lots more blooms next year.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »
We cannot wait to see what next year brings.  @O@

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:26:20 AM »

ME TOO !

Offline jax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 08/07/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:34 AM »
The photo's are gorgeous.  Sure wish it was the beginning of the season rather than the end.  I think the one with the frost on it is a pretty special looking photo.  Caught that just right. 
Jax

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »

It's that morning sun.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
TMike,

Your lilies continue to blow me away!

Thanks for sharing the photos.  Always looking forward to more!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 08:06:01 PM »
Stunning ... :o
bonnie

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
H X T 1,08 really is an amazing plant because those pics were taken a little more than a week ago and H X T 1,08 and a few other H X Ts were the only color in all of my ponds among hundreds of varieties both hardy and tropical.

ALL of the other lilies have looked typical for October with no color and flowers that won't open. But with the H X Ts that continue to bloom the flowers are WIDE open and the color just gets stronger and stronger as the water gets colder.

If I would have floated a small plastic cover over H X T 1,08s flower the other day that frozen flower would be wide open and held above the water for at least 10 days and I just had Ice on the cold end of the pond for the last 4 days. The leaves have stopped growing a month ago but the buds have kept growing and coming to the surface very slowly with full size full blown full color flowers that stay open 24 hours a day for up to 8 days so far. Longer and longer as the water cools into the 40s.

This plant is still just a teenager and was just coming into full expression when cold weather and short days put the brakes on rhizome growth. I have no idea how big it will get next summer but it's dimensions as of now are around an 8 in flower held about 8 in. above the water with 10 X 8 in leaves and around 5 ft spread. The leaves are dark red and marbled showing a lot of water. The flowers are produced and open in an ordered clockwise fashion. Just like the hands of a clock ! The rhizome is fat and very slow growing with no apparent tendency to grow horizontally or VERY little. It flowers continually with no letup with up to 3 flowers per crown and I think it has a higher flower area to leaf area ratio and makes more flowers per year, per crown than any non H X T lily I know of. I predict that it can go years without repotting. Its scent is predominantly tropical with a slight hardy sweetness. Bees do not visit it. AT ALL. None of my H X Ts attract bees, neither nectar or pollen ! Pretty weird huh ? I am so glad of this because the bees around here destroy all anthers by the end of the second day and it ruins the flowers. But my H X Ts always look perfect ! These H X T plants are truly the best of both worlds in one package, with some added extra good qualities thrown in. You might think, just another pretty pink. But you would be wrong. If I can manage to get this plant to multiply then we should all be very happy because anyone who likes pink lilies would love this plant. If for no other reason than it extends the season another month with full blown flowers. There hasn’t been a hardy pink flower here for around 2 months, so it extends the season for hardy pinks by 2 months ! Nothing non H X T holds a candle to it.

Wait a minute it does have one flaw and it is a major one for southerners and it is that it burns in temps above the mid 90s especially if the sky is clear blue. Not so much if it’s hazy, then it burns around 100. Other than that and the fact that it doesn’t reproduce it’s the perfect water garden lily. Don’t worry I have tons more.

Sorry for blowing my own horn so loudly, especially about a plant that you may never get to own but it’s not self love I’m expressing it’s my love of this plant ! And it’s not even blue or purple ! Just wait till I start crowing about those ! Sorry again but I just love lilies so MUCH !

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »
You have a right to blow your horn.

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 11:56:41 AM »
MAGNIFICENT!  This is VERY exciting.  I am very partial to pink lilies and I live in the north so no worries about burning up here.  : )  Maybe, just maybe, one day it (and many of your other lilies) will become available in Canada.  Congratulations on all your successes this year Mike.  I admire your hard work and dedication.

emm
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:01:31 PM by emm »

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »

I'm sure they will migrate up to canada before long. Hardy purples and blues for Canada is what I'm shooting for.
Those southerners already have their tropicals they don't need H X Ts as much as us northerners.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 09:07:51 AM »

This is the same plant with a new flower. It has been open day and night for 8 days so far now although the first day it didn't open very far and I didn't take it's picture so I can't show you but you can trust me.

It is opening a little farther each day.

We will see how many days it will stay open this time. I predict 10 or more.

This plant is a one of a kind record breaker for sure. I don't know if there is anything like it in the world but I doubt it. Maybe Siam Blue Hardy would do this if Pairat Songpanich could test it in my climate. Or another of his H X T plants.

The color is amazing with more blue and a hotter pink as the water aproaches the mid thirties at times I'm sure. There has been ice three nights.

Everything else that has put up a flower here since Texas Dawn quit blooming has looked like crap with no color and flowers that wont open.  That was around two months ago for all but the latests hardies and some trops.

Plants like this can extend the season by TWO MONTHS !

And it hasn't quit yet. it has another bud that wants to open but I think the cold weather and snow that"s comming after Thanksgiving will nip it in the bud.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »
Beautiful...how nice to be able to extent the season

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 04:57:32 AM »
Wow, that is just amazing Mike!  Sure looking as if it will adapt nicely to the cooler temperatures of the more northerly latitudes.

emm

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »
Everyone said it already....but I need to say it too...Magnifi o(:-)cent color and petal-shape!  Seems to have that retro simplistic aura.  Did that make any sense?

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
 It was still open the day after thanksgiving but the cold finally froze it and the one behind it as it was opening. I think that's 12 days and nights it was open and above water. Thanksgiving day flowers in the pond ! that's pretty good I think.  I guess I'll bring it into the greenhouse soon. I wanted it to go completly dormant in hopes of making it make offshoots and reproduce. Now I need to wade out in waste deep ice water and mud to retreve it.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
Amazing Mike. Would it follow that the length or slowness of flowering time was because of the cold weather. It must be exciting to watch the development of these plants and know you may be getting close to something really special in the world of water lilies.

Offline turtlemike

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »

That's very sad about your dad Esther. My dad died two springs ago and I think of him every day.

That is a very good question Esther and I'm glad you asked it because it points out a missing piece of the info you need to understand this plant. 

The flower in warm weather is just like a normal lily in that it is a day bloomer with a three day bloom. The reason it's staying open 24 hours a day for 12+ days is because of the cold water and I guess the short days possibly.

What makes it special is that it continues to flower well into November-December as long as the water is ice free and the flower doesn't freeze at night which means mid twenties.  All other lilies both hardy and tropical stop puting up new flowers long before this plant quits and any flowers that the tropicals do manage to open late in the season have very poor color and won't open fully. This is the latest all pink lily I have by two months or more. That is a 30 percent increase in blooming season duration with an 8 inch flower that opens fully and has top quality color to the very end. If I can get this one to reproduce we will all be very happy.

Now if one of my hardy X tropical night bloomer seedlings would have flowers that stay open all day and night during the warm summer days then I would really have something but so far they have all been day bloomers. It's amazing how dominant the hardy genes are in general compared to tropical genes. If I can make F2s those will be the real amazing plants.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"