Author Topic: Skulls - What's the Meaning of Them?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Skulls - What's the Meaning of Them?
« on: December 20, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »
I have a friend who makes jewelry, and she had given me two bracelets.  One is made of ma jong tiles and other trinkets, and the other has various beads and trinkets, most of which have some history or meaning.

Both of these bracelets have a bead shaped like a skull.  This really bothers me, because I think it's rather morbid to wear a symbol of a dead human being on my person, and I think it's bad Karma, too.

But I know that many people view skulls differently.  The whole Day of the Dead thing, for instance. 

What do you guys think?

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Skulls - What's the Meaning of Them?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 08:46:17 PM »
I googled...because I knew what I thought, but didn't know the trend

http://ezinearticles.com/?Popularity-of-Skull-Jewelry&id=3434417

http://tattoos.lovetoknow.com/Skull_Tattoos

Mexican art of smiling, dancing skulls, used to celebrate Dia de los Muertos, helped skulls become more widely accepted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »
I think it's morbid too.   Where the hell is my gardner?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
I think you should wear what YOU like and if the skulls aren't you then remove them if you can.  Better yet, since she is your friend I suggest being candid with her and ask her why she puts skulls on the bracelets.  She likely will explain and if she is insightful at all will discern you don't care for them and perhaps will remove them in order to please you. 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:51:16 AM »
I make jewelry too and would not dream of putting a skull on a bracelet to give to someone.  I think it's bad karma too.  If you don't like it, it's probably attached by a jump ring.  Take a pair of needle nose pliers and open the jump ring and toss the skull and put another charm on there that you DO like.  No harm done.  I don't know why I don't care for them--just creepy I guess.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 09:27:55 AM »
If your friend knew you liked skulls and/or their meaning, then it is an appropriate gift. But if the gift reflects THEIR beliefs or faith, then it is not appropriate for them to give it to you. The idea of gift giving is to give something you need, or would like.

Recently, I thought it was nice of my stepdaughter to give me a silver cross with shiny stones in it, when I know she has no connection with the religious meaning of the cross and I do.

Now that you have it, you will probably question which you should do, give it back and request something more to your liking or--------put it in a draw and eventually give it to Goodwill or conveniently lose it. Good luck. Only you know the personality of the giver and whether she would take offense.

I have no real answer to the problem. But I don't understand why someone wants to wear something that clearly is connected with the decomposed remains of a dead person.

Reminds me that my daughter in law's mother gave our 9 year old granddaughter a beautiful pink and black outfit for her birthday and all over the top was,,,,,,yup, you got it,,,,,skulls. This woman goes to my church, which is a similar church where my son's family goes. This little girl doesn't live in the inner city surrounded by punk/goth types and neither does the grandmother. I saw the look that my son flashed to his wife. LOL, It was like, "WHAT WAS SHE THINKING?"  I'm sure that outfit never saw the light of day again.

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:07:26 AM »
I make jewelry as well, only beaded stuff. I would never give, (and I really don't like making) the skulls. Only if I have a request for one.

Like Kitty said it's probably just connected with a jump ring. Use needle nose pliers and just give it a slight twist and remove it.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:33:48 AM »
"Dem bones dem bone dem dry bones...."

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 12:35:08 PM »
Gonna walk around.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 03:04:13 PM »
For the most part its a symbol of mortality.
They also stand for being tough.

I don't like skulls on things either but it seems that they are showing up on just about anything these days. I actually saw a fleece dog bed recently that was black with white skulls all over it. Weird.

Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:33:13 PM »
The skull thing really doesn't bother me.  It's kind of halloween-ish.  That's fun.
I think those sock monkeys are creepy.   Go figure. 

Offline Julles

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
OK, guys, thanks for all the great replies.  Those were som fab links, Sue.

It's not possible to remove the skull - it's drilled and threaded onto the string of the bracelet, not on a jump ring.  I think I will ask Sylvia what her idea of the meaning is, because I know she has a reason for using the skulls. 

In the meantime, since I deep inside still don't really like the skull (Sylvia woud notice immediately if I removed the skull, or if I don't wear the bracelet often enough - she's just that way.  Once, she had made me and another friend cute denim skirts with hand lettering of poems, etc.  We all were going somewhere, and I had mine on, but the other gal didn't - Sylvia made the "strong" suggestion that she go back inside and change into that skirt, before we could go to our event.  ) 

Anyway, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt go with the theory in one of the links, that it signifies rebirth, live while you can (I do have a "Live Loud" charm that I might add to the bracelet, to reinforce that).   Also, I had two dear friends pass away in recent months, so I can use the skull as a reminder of them.

Thanks to everyone.

Offline Julles

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
OMG, it's getting worse.  Despite what I said yesterday, the skull is still bothering me.  Here's my friend's reply when I asked the meaning of it:

"the  skull symbolizes Golgotha to me- I guess I'm like those christian s that hold the notion  that Christs birth is only as miraculous as  his death burial and Resurrection
to me it's a package deal and that's why i have the skull on the bracelets-"

So now is it not only a symbol of death, it's a symbol of murder, torture, and execution.  Christian concept of rebirth or not, Golgatha (Calgary - Google it) is where countless people met agonizing and quite likely unjust deaths.

I was shopping in quaint-and-Christmasy Olde Towne Spring yesterday, and the skull was still haunting me.  I spent time in their bead store.  The two gals there started out by saying that skulls are very "hot" right now in jewelry.  But as soon as they picked up on my reticence to wear it, they told me in no uncertain terms to NOT wear it.

It's a big store, with lots of open trays and bins.  I poked around and dug in the bins, and  picked out some beads & charms that symbolize life, in particular the Tree of Life, and also some dragon flies and a frog on a lily pad, a leaf and a moon face.  I figured if I found a place on the bracelet near the skull, the good Karma would balance out the bad. 

I also am considering taking a piece of sheer black fabric and wrapping it around the skull (like a piece of candy), fastening with jump rings.  That way it will still be there, but shrouded. 

Can you tell that the skull is really bugging me?!

Geeze, all this over a personalized gift made with love.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »
Interesting response from your friend.  I would never have guessd that.

Here is a site we saw in Jerusalem above the parking lot of a bus depot that is purported by many to be Golgotha.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 03:19:51 PM »
I tend to shy away from conflicts. I would just say thank you and not wear it. Or have someone restring it with the good beads you found. I want no one to push their beliefs other than christian on me.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"