Author Topic: Climbers  (Read 2209 times)

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
Climbers
« on: December 18, 2006, 03:41:03 PM »
Hope they find the remaining 2 but I like some others think they fell. I've never done any climbing, any here has?

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Climbers
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 04:21:26 PM »
It's so very sad.  This is not the time for death and loss.  I feel so badly for those families.

GAJen

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 05:51:07 PM »
Me too. Sure wish they hadn't gone up there in all that snow but they were experienced climbers.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 10:05:08 AM »
I'm very sorry for them but....it was very foolish for them to go up at this time of year. Experienced or not. Now many more people are at risk trying to find them. Several years ago we lost rescuers on the mountain too.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

GAJen

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:07:23 PM »
yeah LeeAnne they picked a bad time of the year to go up that mountain.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:39:52 PM »
I think its ashame.  My heart goes out to their families.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 10:46:53 PM »
Well it is too late for at least one of them. And they are saying that time probably has run out for the other two. So sad.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 03:47:07 AM »
Yes, it is a shame.  A terrible time for both the climbers and their families, and all the rescuers. 

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 02:38:53 PM »
They found film in a camera with the one that they did find. Developed it and it has pictures that tell the officials searching that they did not have enough food or water or other supplies :( the official search has now been scaled way back.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Johns

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Garden Endeavors
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 04:05:51 PM »
Apparently these guys were not as "experienced" as originally thought.  They wore  clothing not sufficient for the task, their supplies were sparse, they took along no emergency supplies, such as emergency beacons, stove, or GPS equipment, and may not have had but one cell phone between them.   I know I will earn the ire of some of you big-hearted folks, but as the Guy on "Handle on the law" said last week, "Life is hard.  And it's a lot harder when you're stupid".

Climbing mountains is hazardous.  I know, in my youth I did enough of it to use up an excess of adrenaline. Spelunking, too.  In retrospect, boy was I stupid!  But I was also in my late teens and early twenties. These guys were middle age, and by the time I was their age, I had given up ascending sheer faced cliffs, preferring to involve myself in safer endeavors, such as watching pet fish swim around.

Loss of life is always tragic, even more so to relatives than on those lost.  But risky endeavors always carry risk.  They knew, or should have known the risks and have been prepared to deal with them. In this case they were not, and it cost them and worse their families, not to mention the $2,800 an hour it cost to fly one of those Chinook helicopters.

GAJen

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 04:31:14 PM »
Can't recall the name right now but CNN showed a device they could have rented that would have helped locate them. I'm sorry they are all most likely dead but this is not the time of the year to climb Mt. Hood.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:53:41 PM »
Some people, these guys included, specifically choose the winter time to scale snow covered mountains.  For them it's part of the thrill.  The mountain can look so peaceful during clear weather.  But they chose to climb it not knowing that the storm of the decade was about to hit.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 07:33:08 PM »
I know I will earn the ire of some of you big-hearted folks also. i am so sorry for their families and its sad to have someone die needlessly, especially in the prime of their lives, however these guys were just plain stupid, inexperienced and reckless.  just look what their stupidity has done: needless risk of lives and equipment and the cost will be outrageous.

here in connecticut, there is a little known law whereas the authorities can fine and charge careless hikers, climbers and other thrill seekers, who get into trouble the cost of the rescue, thats if they come out alive.

lou

Offline ladybug

• Members
  • i went sky diving this year, amazing!!
    • View Profile
    • ladybug's garden spot
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 01:29:10 AM »
i will come out on your side john, cause i do agree with you.  i am sorry that their need for thrills and excitement has ended their life, but they knew the risk and lost.  i feel worse for their families.  to lose someone for this reason is horrible.  i sure don't think i could come out and say they died doing what they loved.   anger would come first.  i do feel really bad for them.
ladybug
life is too short to be unhappy

zone 7b

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »
here in connecticut, there is a little known law whereas the authorities can fine and charge careless hikers, climbers and other thrill seekers, who get into trouble the cost of the rescue, thats if they come out alive.

We have that here too.

Its truly a sad situation but I have a whole bunch of questions as to why they didn't have certain things with them. It didn't sound like they went up the mountain very prepared. I'm actually surprised they continued looking for them in rescue mode for as long as they did. A person just cannot survive very long in those kind of elements without some basic supplies and equipment.

Sometimes people just get caught in bad situations no matter how careful they are or how well prepared and that is going to happen. What irks me are the  folks who don't use their heads at all.

Here where I live we get the bicyclists. I've been on several rescues where they have gotten lost. We just roll our eyes and grit our teeth on these calls. Most of the time these folks bring absolutely nothing with them. No trail maps, no GPS, nothing. If they did, they wouldn't be lost. I cannot tell you how many times we've gone on a lost cyclist call and they ended up being within site of the main road but they were totally disorientated. One guy this summer told us "I have no idea which direction is east or west." HELLO!! The sun sets in the west! See that baby setting over there above the mountains???!!! ::)

Another good one was a couple of cyclists were called in lost by another cyclist that passed them on the trail. O.k., don't you think it would have been a good idea to follow that guy out instead of calling us to come and get you?? ::) ::) Why didn't the other rider give them directions back to the main trailhead??? We get to these people and the gal says "we had no clue where we were so we had the other guy that passed us call for help and we just stayed put." Leaves us scratching our heads at times. >:(-
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 12:30:30 PM »
Shanna.....duh!!! Makes you wonder how these people can function in everyday life, doesn't it??

I did hear that they're considering a law now that bans climbing Mt. Hood during bad weather seasons. Too bad people aren't capable of making these choices on their own, instead our law makers have to pass new laws to protect them and others......those who have to end up risking their lives to rescue them.

Geesh!!! I remember the days when you suffered the consequences for your own stupidity and no one else was to blame or responsible.

Ok. Just to let everyone know I am not heartless. I do feel sorry for the families who are going in to what should be such a happy time of year with such great loss and sadness.
Cath
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 07:03:26 PM by livetogarden »
zone 5b

GAJen

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 02:11:13 PM »
They should put those laws in motion Cath .... would keep the crazy's off it.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 09:42:57 PM »
They are talking about all sorts of rules/laws etc. It is too bad. I read today that a five dollar rental of a GPS could have saved them.....

Four fisherman were killed last week when crab season opened and they were doing their jobs to feed their families and the storm blew up and capsized their boat and they didn't get half the press as the climbers did. Why are three who risked their lives for thrills more important than four who died on the job? Anyone who has watched Most Dangerous Catch knows crab fishing is no picnic. It isn't that rough here, as it is in Alaska but close.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"