Author Topic: Found a floater today . . .  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Found a floater today . . .
« on: February 26, 2011, 11:31:21 AM »
This afternoon I found one of my 10" all-black midnight shubunkins floating dead.  The ice just all melted yesterday during heavy rains.

I saw him on the bottom a few weeks ago on his side - thought he was dead.  I  tried to net him but he swam away and hid.

He was at least five years old, but that's the way it goes.

This spring I am planning a trip to the midnight shubunkin breeder to buy at least four more.  Haven't been there in 3-4 years - time to restock - been saving my pennies since midnights are pretty expensive.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Found a floater today . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »
That's a bummer Reedman.  I've had that happen a couple times in the very early spring-later winter with fish 'listing' on their sides after the pond thaws.  Mine came out of it though and I don't know why or why they did it to start with.  I have lost fish though and I hate not knowing why... :-\ 

Sounds like fun going to the breeder and picking new ones!   @O@
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 05:08:18 PM »
Sorry to see that  :'(  I know how special your midnights are to you and how it sparked interest to everyone here.  Did your midnight shubs ever reproduce?

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
Miguynmkoi,

I have about 12-15 midnight shubunkins.  I usually get fry each spring because I float plastic asparagus ferns when they start spawning.  I then net out the plastic plants and put them in a 100 gallon stock tank and raise them all summer. 

I rarely get midnights though.  Several reasons: there are also sarassa comets and regular shubunkins in the pond; midnight shubunkins do not breed true - most are half orange or more.  Even the breeder only gets 20,000-40,000 a year after culling the non-midnights from their breeder ponds.

There was a pet store just down the street that had someone my area selling midnight shubunkins to them.  The pet store did not know they were midnights and were selliing them at shubunkin prices (about 1/3 of the price of a midnight).  I bought some from them two years ago. But, unfortunately they closed later that year.  If I only could find out who the local breeder was, I wouldn't have to drive an hour to MD to the original breeder farm.

Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 11:00:29 AM »
Interesting!  Too bad they don't breed true.  I did the same like you at a local pet shop when I came across a few black/blue and gray/white shubs.  Bought them all, about 8, for baby shub prices ($1 something).  Love the ones that are spotted black on a blue gray body.  Most have very long fins. Not sure if most fit in the sky blue category.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:08:13 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 02:36:25 PM »
Miguynmkoi,

There are midnight blue shubunkins and there are sky blue shubunkins - both originated by same breeder.  They schooled me on everything one of the times I drove there.

They said the sky blue shubunkins never really sold.  Not sure if they even breed them any more.

I like to hand-select mine so I drive the hour trip and check each one.  A lot of the ones they sell as midnight blue shubunkins have too much orange for my interest. I used to buy ones that were mostly/all black.  But know I buy the ones with the cream colored heads and blue and black and grey bodies.
Reedman

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
Ahhh sorry to hear that Dave. DANG I wished I lived closer. I want some Midnights BADLY! Wonder what they would look like bred with a Wakin? Hmmm

Back when I had my Midnights, I lost 2 of them in the spring, the only fish I lost. I don't know if it's they can't handle the fluctuation of the water temps or what?  Hope you find a mess of them this year.

Offline tootsie

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Meet Christian, my newest Grandson :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 05:08:59 PM »
Hi Reedman, sorry about your fishes :(  And YES you will have so much fun picking out your new ones :)  o(
One thing, where do you get your Asparagus Ferns?  I  have lots of real ferns growing everywhere  :o  Last year when the ice and snow melted I was walking down to the edge of the pond and saw so many little? Yep, it looked as tho there was  a an orange carpet :o  I ducked behind a few huge pine trees and was able to tip toe a little closer.  WOW, there were so many of the Shubunkins @O@ Some of then were actually down in the grass o(  Then when they saw me, swoosh, like they all had small motors on their tail!! I am going to offer them to some people,  if there are any left then try the pet shop, I hate to go there tho;(  The darn great  blue herons took many of my Koi last year too. Darn heron, decided to get into the deep end of the pond and started swimming and dunking his head down EATING MY  KOI >:(-

Tootsie

Offline Reedman

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »
tootsie

I bought those plastic asparagus ferns at a local petstore.  Sometime they are stocked in the reptile section.   Pretty expensive since they are so large, but their small needles are excellent spawning medium.

Every spring my fish get busy in them - I just float them.
Reedman

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
Funny it happend to me too @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 04:04:46 PM »
Jerry,
I like that, just too funny and cute, LOL

Offline tootsie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »
Hi Reedman,
I am going to hurry to the pet store and look for the ferns:)  I can tie them up with fishing line then add an anchor to the bottom. The pond is so big, with all the melted snow and run off, the pond level now is at the top edges. There is still a lot of ice.  I sure hope all the fishes are alright. I can't wait to see their little faces when they see me walk by o(:-)
Thank You Reedman for all your information :)
Tootsie

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »
I had to Google them - they sure are pretty!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"