Author Topic: pond water  (Read 1433 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
pond water
« on: March 06, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
some MAY remember [from my post] that when our pond was first ice free last year it was rusty brown in color and visibility into water was zero . it did clear up nicely after running filter for a couple days . this year when it was partially ice free yesterday it was pretty much crystal clear and fish could be seen swimming about apparently very comfortable . i was really pleased to see it so much better this year . hope yours also looks as good when water is ice free . . .peace

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: pond water
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
For the most part my unfiltered tanks look pretty clear.  The filtered one is crystal clear so far.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 06:46:48 PM »
Mine was clearer, too, during the cold months.  I think it's because the fish are eating / pooping less, and there is less movement in the water to stir things up.

Oddly, my water is also quite clear after a rain. 

Vetts - you still have ICE where you are??

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 04:38:22 AM »
last of ice is gone this morning and i had to go out in rain just now to chase ducks away . most of ice was gone couple days ago and the sunlight is making the water go green , i assume from algae growth . i wondered if barley extract that helps in summer would help now . your thoughts on this are welcome and wanted . thanks ....peace

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:56:09 AM »
sorry , should have mentioned this about the ice question . the big pond [roughly 100x500 ] is completely iced over with no open water at all . only open water is little pond [10x 24 app.] and that is where ducks were .

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:42:51 AM »
the colder the weather the clearer the pond--it kills off alot of the algae but, once you start warming up the algae will rear its ugly head again...Also the dark colored tea water is usually tannins from leaves so the less leaves you have in the pond the less tea colored water you'll have....I'm not liking this new pond cycle one bit--We are finally warm enough to plug the UV back up so the new pond is getting less green every day...all my other ponds stay clear--they just get a bit of string algae thru the winter...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:15:56 AM »
well  all but one of my ponds still are ice covered, that one is opening slowly...then main koi pond had a heater this year, doubled my electric bill for a couple months but DH said it was worth working the overtime to pay for it and see me worry less and have no fish losses as of yet.  I have lots of dead loose algae at the bottom that I've dredged out a couple times  it looks pretty clear unless the big fish stir up the bottom.  Can't wait to get the vaccum out and clean it up, but really don't want to be draining out water onto the frozen ground yet.
Every year mine is a little different, I've had years of clearer water and some of pretty sad looking cloudy pea soup.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:39:48 AM »
ice disappeared from big pond yesterday and i put pump in little pond . been stirring it up , netting what i could and cleaning filter couple times last two days . doesn't look to bad now . . .peace

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
My pond is clear in the mornings, not so later in the day as it warms
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"