Author Topic: Hello, newbie here  (Read 2391 times)

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/03/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Hello, newbie here
« on: March 21, 2011, 09:53:09 PM »
Hey guys. My name is Lisa. I'm 31, in West Texas, near the Midland/Odessa area. I'm getting my first pond soon. They start digging tomorrow. Can't wait. So far, it's marked at 15 x 9, and 2.5 at its deepest. That may change slightly tomorrow.  ;) My dearest husband isn't quite on board yet. He didn't like the area I picked first, so I moved it to a corner of the yard. My first marked pond area was maybe 9 x 6. He somewhat complained about that size/location. So I moved it. And made it bigger. I told him every time he complains, the size will magically grow. Really though, he's not completely against it, just hesitant. I want a massive pond, but I'm trying to behave myself. It's not easy.

Anyways, I'm just making it for goldfish and some mosquito fish. My boss's dad is trying to give me his 15+ year old Koi, but I'm not sure I want Koi. I am dying to add all the plants, and the 2 don't mix well. Plus, it would need to be bigger/deeper for Koi. I have a 5 yr old who is as much of a water baby as I am, and if she manages to fall in, I want her to be able to stand on the bottom.

I'm hoping to become pretty active here. I'm sure I'll have a million questions!
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,
But then we'd both be wrong....

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Hello, newbie here
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:31:07 PM »
Welcome!  You will get many responses.  I'd think twice about the mosquito fish.  Not all agree with me. They WILL EAT fish eggs.  So if you want babies best not to have the guys.
Your other fish will take care of Mosquito's Just fine O0
Looking forward to a few photos!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 06:38:27 AM »
Hi Lisa.  Welcome to a wonderful adiction. 

I have stocktanks and goldies, but enjoy the plants the most.  I've never had a desire for Koi.

My son has lived at Fort Stockton and Monihanns, but he is back in the panhandle now.

Offline Bearb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 29/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 06:55:28 AM »
Your hubby will begrudgingly come around one he sees all the little fishies peacefully swimming. I agree with keeping it to goldfish. I don't think you will need mosquito fish and I never really got into koi. I don't have much room so seeing multiple smaller fish schooling with more space and around plants is better than a few big fish swimming back and forth in an empty tank. If you get a mix of orange, sarassa and shubunkin, you will have plenty of visual interest. I look at my pond as a miniature koi pond. Not to mention, goldies are easier to take care of IMHO. . .
Bryan

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 06:57:35 AM »
Hi Lisa and welcome!  I have only goldfish, and also never had a desire for koi.  I enjoy the whole thing; plants, water, fish, frogs, insects... ::)   I like the entire ecosystem and it has taught me a lot.  Remember, we love pictures!!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
Welcome Lisa!  Lucky you starting out with a large pond!  We love photos especially since you are preparing a new pond.  So keep on clicking!

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:30:29 AM »
I promise to post pics as soon as there is something other than flat dirt to look at. :)
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 04:32:12 PM »
Welcome Lisa---your in for quite the ride....ponds are soo much fun and addictive...I would like to suggest a bottom drain in the deepest area--even with goldies a bottom drain sure makes your pond chores alot easier.....the squeeter fish breed really fast--I'd probably go with goldies only and there are alot of different goldie breeds out there that are pond hardy....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
:welcome: Lisa. There are many different plants to be found here. Just ask. There is also a chat room that there is someone in most nights. We'd be glad for you to come visit us.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
Lisa...please come back to chat...Scott nor I bite

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
Sorry I missed you in chat...I wanted to say HI fellow Texan

Maybe I'll catch you the next time  :)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 06:48:11 AM »
Welcome aboard Lisa.  I 2nd or 3rd the no mosquito fish idea.  I made the mistake of putting 6 in my 1500 gallon pond 3+ years ago to cycle the water and I have gazillion babies!!!  I net them out yearly and they come back in drones..    >:( {nono}

Hope you can post some pictures for us.  We loveeeee  pictures.   ;D

Kuan

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:53 AM »
Welcome. Don't think you need the mosquito fish either. I have goldfish and Koi for variety. My pond is 2.5 at it's deepest and the Koi seem to do just fine.

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 09:14:06 PM »
Hey guys, sorry about last night. My internet kinda died on me. I was having withdrawals/fits all night. I have pics.
So, when I ordered the backhoe, I told them I needed the smallest one they had. (Think: Bobcat) This shows up.

I tell the guy, "Excuse me, but I just needed the small one"
Silence.

"Ma'am, this IS the small one."
Holy crap.

So, dear sweet Lorenzo proceeds to BACK it into my yard. Between a fence pole and a wishing well. Between a swing set, veranda and a baby tree. Oops, watch out for the power lines and the clothes line. He was unbelievable. He dug that hole with the precision of a brain surgeon. Every scoop, he had to bend and twist perfectly, so he didn't hit the power lines.

Anyways, here is the semi-finished result. I have some digging to do, my kids got in and dumped half the dirt back in. I'm going to go back and add a shelf around the whole thing for bog plants, ect.

It's not much to look at so far, but it will get there.

~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 04:46:09 AM »
 @O@  Nice hole!

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 06:30:07 AM »
LOL. My husband brought home one of those baby Kabota diggers to do ours. It was so cute. You must be excited to see the beginning of your pond. What kind of soil do you have. Don't disturb it too much where you want the shelves as it holds better if undisturbed. You might want to sprinkle it a tiny bit too as damp soil shapes better than dry. But on the other hand, it shouldn't be very damp.  What are you going to use under the liner? One thing I kind of don't like about one of my ponds. I curved the area too much where the bottom curves up to the shelf. I can't sit a plant stand on the curve and OOOH BOY if I step on that curve, it is so slippery once the algae and gunk covers the bottom. 

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »
Will you have a bottom drain? And do you plan on the bottom being the same depth all over? If no bottom drian, then having it level is best in my opinion, or at least not bowl shaped. Mine is 24" at one end and 30" at the other so even though it is not the same depth, it still is flat--not bottom drain either. What kind of filtration are you planning. Have you noticed the "sub forums here"? Look them over and you'll find lots of pictures and tips. One has tutorials.

You DH may not be "that" interested in  your pond but hopefully he'll help out just to be nice. My Dh isn't really interested but during the 8-9 years since it was dug, he has learned what it takes to run it and last summer I had a bad leg and he took care of it a lot.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 07:05:11 AM »
Is your soil sandy?  When my son lived in Monahans they had very sandy soil.

You might need a collar or some extra support if you have sand.

And PLEASE post more pics and your work progresses.  We love pics.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 07:12:11 AM »
Wow, awesome hole!  And just think you didn't have to dig that sucker by shovel!!  lol  BTW, he HAD to back that thing in there:  it's the end that digs!   ::)   ;)   Now you get to do the fun stuff:  shaping, figuring out where you want this and that.  Remember, you're allowed to change your mind---now, anyway, before the water goes in!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 09:58:32 AM »
Off to a great start.  Shelves for plants is a good idea, bottom drain, no mosquito fish (they multiply way too fast BUT they do keep goldfish eggs eaten), & I agree that goldfish are more managable than koi.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
That's a big hole you got there!!  Can't wait for pics of all the progress. 

Offline LostInWestTexas

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
Sue, our "dirt" is nothing but clay, and hard as a rock. I spent yesterday afternoon/evening and this afternoon working on leveling the side. My back is pretty mad at me, lol. I made a shelf on one end, for marginals, and I may make a bog area around the front edge. The shelf is about a foot deep, and maybe 2.5 feet wide. I'm going to support the shelf with a couple cinder blocks. Then I'm lining the pond with someone's old carpet. My dad's friend did this about 6 years ago, and it's worked great. It will cover any rocks I've missed, and keep the cinder blocks from cutting thru my liner.  Then I will put the liner on top. I'm going to make a 1 1/2 foot wide lip around the edge of the pond, to prevent yard water runoff from going in the pond, and make the edges a bit more stable. I'll cover that with liner and rocks, to hold it down/hide it. The bottom will be flat, other than the shelf area.

I'm going to be ordering the bio filter, pump, ect next week. I'm still kinda undecided. I'm horribly impulsive. I've wanted a real pond for years. My little 100 gallon preformed pond wasn't cutting it. So when my husband took the fence down, I jumped at the chance. I have the hole, and a thousand ideas, but haven't really planned. I'm winging it, lol.

I think my pond will be between 2500 - 3000 gallons when all is said and done. I will go research the sub-forums tonight, and see what you guys think is the best for pumps and filters, ect. Any advice, along with what has already been given, is very much appreciated. Thank you guys, I love hearing your opinions! And the squito fish are going to be sent packing to my horse tanks out in the pasture. Hasta la vista, babies.
~ Lisa
I'd agree with you,

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"