Author Topic: Shocked  (Read 1460 times)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Shocked
« on: April 17, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »
Went out this morning and my waterfall and aerator were not working. I noticed the button was out on the gfi. I pushed it to reset it and the fish started rolling and jumping out of the water. I unplugged everything quickly. I had fish laying upside down on the bottom or floating on the top.They are all upright and slightly swimming now. (some more than others) I am praying they survive. Any one with any experience as to this?

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Shocked
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
Oh my, what a nightmare that would be.  Hope everyone is OK.

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:41:55 AM »
Hope your fish recover from this.  Have seen shocked fish before and some recover and some don't.  Some are bent and twisted after the event permanantly.  YOU HAVE A BIGGER PROBLEM!!!!!
If you reset you GFI and it still shocked your fish you need to have a qualified person replace it.  You can replace your fish, but not yourself.  Please look after this first to protect yourself and others from a serious hazard.

Mikel

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »
Mike told you right!  You need a professional.  Forget the fish loss!  W can't afford to lose a member!
Seriously, hire a pro.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »
Thanks. The electrical problem is going to be looked into and fixed. Right now my aerator is the only thing running. I have run it to the garage. No pumps are on. The outlet in question is not being used. I have unhooked it from the panel. The pump was making noise yesterday and my wife and I went shopping for an external pump. We did not find one. I am guessing the housing cracked. That along with a bad GFI. It tripped but allowed me to hit the reset button. My fish might have gotten shocked last night too.

All the fish are swimming around now. They are keeping their distance from me. I guess they think I meant to do it. It was a nightmare to see them jumping and spinning. I am just happy I unplugged it rather than trying to pull the pump out of the water. Split second decisions can make for different results.

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 08:45:03 AM »
Glad your fish are doing better.  Good luck getting every thing fixed.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:19 AM »
Oh man, was that a scary read!  Poor fish and lucky you that didn't stick your hands down in that water!  Luckily you didn't have pets drinking from your pond.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »
As long as they have airation thats going to be the main thing...just don't feed them while everything is down and make sure the bio is kept wet...If it were me I'd put a pound of solar salt(can be picked up at  Lowes or home depot or most ranch and garden stores) per 100 gallons just to help with the stress of everything...Just glad you didn't have your hand in contact with the water this could have been a really bad situation....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 03:52:56 AM »
I am sorry you had this situation, but glad you posted it so we can all learn from it.
Kathy

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 06:08:03 AM »
That was scary!  :(  I am glad that your fish are swimming around and even more glad that you didn't reach in to pull the pump.  O0  Make sure to get a pro to look at the electrical outlet.  Air in the water is good.  May be no feeding until things calmed down and pump replaced.

This really reminds me to pay attention when I reach in the water to pull the thermometer out to read the temp or pull the filter materials from the skimmer basket.  I normally don't think twice before reaching in.

Kuan

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »
Think about running an air pump/stones on a separate circuit in case one quits.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"