Author Topic: Pond Master pre filter question  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond Master pre filter question
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:37:52 AM »
I have a Pond Master pump in my lily pond. I have both the screw in foam filter and also the barrel type protector that screws on the intake. This is a new pump so these parts are new also. The problem is that the barrel attachement will collapse from its normal shape at least once a week. The foam attachement I just have to wash it off but the barrel I have to soak it in warm water then hope its goes back to its original shape. What else can I use to protect both my pump and the little fish so they they don't get sucked up? o(

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Master pre filter question
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:55:52 AM »
Remember that I am a redneck ponder.  I raise lilies and have goldfish for skitter control.  It was 14* this morning and I a fine sheet of ice on less than 1/2 of the surface.

I bought two mini laundry baskets at the dollar store.  I tied them together with zip ties for a hinge.  I cut a hole in the top to run by hose through and then connected it to the pump.  I wrapped the submergable pump in one of those blue fiber water cooler pads from WM.  I put the whole thing into the baskets with the tubing out the top and the cord out the side.  I then tied the front hinge area together with wire twisties.  I take it apart and clean it about once a month during the summer.  I run it year around.  My skippy type filter is inside the tank also.  In the summer I raise the filter about a foot for more water drop.  I raise the pump on a milk crate in the winter.

The little tank has a pump inside a filter box with bioballs only in the winter and a 30 gallon air strip for an aquarium about 6" below the surface.  There was hardly any ice on it this morning either.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »
I was also thinking about using the lily pond baskets and doing the same thing. It has been 80 here all day.

Thanks!

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 04:53:50 PM »
Yes the lily baskets would work fine....I've also been known to wrap the guard that goes over the intake with bags from either oranges or onions in a tight spot--when using them in my grow out tanks...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Yup, redneck is the way I go too.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
Nelson's tells us to throw that foam thing away, and use just the plastic barrel with the slits.  The foam collects too much gunk and clogs up quickly, putting quite a strain on your pump, which continues to try to suck water through the clogged foam.

Removing the gunk is the job of your filter.  Gunk needs to get through the barrel cover, and to your filter, where the media will collect it, until you do your weekly cleaning by hosing it off.

The barrel filter I have is sufficient to keep fish from getting sucked into the filter.  Occasionaly a tadpole will get through, but only the very small hatchlings.

Be sure to check your pump at least once a week, as some leaves might get through the slits in the barrel and get caught in the intake, restricting flow and straining the prump. 

With my 950 gph pump, I'm able to fit my pinkie finger in the hole and pull out any debris.  On the 700, the hole is too small, so I have to use a screwdriver to remove the screws holding the housing in place.  5 minutes, max.

Offline WAC

• Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    • View Profile
    • Water Arts Consulting
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 09:41:56 PM »
Firstly it's correct that ideally the debris makes it's way to the filter (after-the-pump) versus the pre-filter (in-the-pond).  But in reality, that's also dependent on a the design & style of the pump.

What I mean by this is that pumps are not all created equal in the sense beyond moving water from point A to point B.  What's more important to realize is the method in which they do it.  One of the most distinguishing characteristics in terms of a pumps application is the actual design of the impeller itself:
- Solids-handling
- Open-vortex
- Semi-closed vortex
- Closed vortex
- Etc.
The pic below highlights 3 pumps w/virtually identical flow rate of 1000gph ... but notice the difference in impeller designs.  It is this design that dictates the application as well as the peripheral advantage of energy efficiency (electrical usage).

Offline WAC

• Members
  • With us since: 27/04/2009
    • View Profile
    • Water Arts Consulting
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Now to address your situation, one thing to consider would be the addition of the Matala EZ Bio pre-filter.  The Matala media is designed to be an open 3-dimensional matrix.  This allows "big-stuff" to be pre-filtered but medium & small debris to pass thru.

The nice thing w/these is that they are not as fine as the foam (sponge) media & not as flimsy as the plastic barrel-style media.

There's 2 sizes to suit your application & both can be directly threaded onto you Pondmaster pump or connected via tubing (w/the included stepped-hosetail fitting).

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 04:06:47 PM »
Wow, WAC, are you a pump salesman or something, or an engineer maybe?  You sure know the facts and the lingo!

I was going to mention (but WAC pretty much pointed it out) that there are pumps that are designed to take in and grind up small bits of debris - the Pondmaster sales rep told me that theirs can even grind up small rocks. 

Also, in another discussion, I had suggested to Zoe that she might try Clarity Max, a powdered barley derivitive that helps make matter suspended in your water clump together and fall to the bottom, where it's easier for the pump to grab it and push it on to the filter. 

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »
I"m getting ready to take a cheap kitchen garbage can and drill holes all around it and then set my pump and protector inside of it. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"