Author Topic: Are they diffrent?  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Chevy Girl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Are they diffrent?
« on: July 24, 2008, 10:57:40 AM »
OK, I just have to ask. Ihave a few "butterfly" Koi.
But I have one that I am the most in love with. o(:-)
The others all have the same fins,
My beauty is a metallic orange, with the most gorgeous fins, more like
Streamers from the edges, when I got him he was much smaller,
And the fins kind of looked spiked on the edges.
Is there a difference between Long Finned, and Butterfly Koi?
 :)

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Are they diffrent?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
I asked this same question over in koishack & I was told they are the same....just some people call them butterfly koi while other's call them longfins .

bonnie

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 07:09:15 AM »
Yep locally I call them butterfly...but, when I'm talking to a koi person I call them longfins....alot of koi people don't consider them Koi and think they are ugly....I love mine  o(:-)...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline KatFish

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 20/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »
I love the longfins, but don't have any because all I've seen tend to have shredded up fins  :o  Is that common or bad fish-keeping?

Offline Chevy Girl

• Members
  • With us since: 02/06/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 10:55:06 AM »
I love the longfins, but don't have any because all I've seen tend to have shredded up fins  :o  Is that common or bad fish-keeping?

That is kinda what I was asking,
My butterflys have diffrent finage. the "shredded" look , I have seen on some very healthy, well cared for Koi.
and some of my butterfly, have normal looking long flowing fins. That is why I wondered if they were different.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 12:47:20 PM »
I've noticed with mine...the little guys don't have the ragged look---as they get bigger mine All got the ragged look...but, I still think they are pretty....now if you end up with a koi that doesn't have really long fins it may not get the ragged look.....but, most people want the really long fins....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline doubleone

• Members
  • With us since: 26/09/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 06:39:50 PM »

That is kinda what I was asking,
My butterflys have diffrent finage. the "shredded" look , I have seen on some very healthy, well cared for Koi.
and some of my butterfly, have normal looking long flowing fins. That is why I wondered if they were different.
One of my prettiest butterflys got fin rot and her fins & tail shredded.  The fin rot has been cured but her fins are still shredded.  It's been about two months and I'm hoping she will eventually heal.  Does anyone know if the fins will return to normal?  The rest of my butterflys have pretty lacy fins. 

Offline fishin4cars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 25/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:01:38 PM »
I've been keeping butterfly koi for many years. there are some that don't consider them koi, IMO this is the big time show people, those of us that keep water gardens seem to like them very much, honestly I think they are far better than standard koi with plants and in most cases don't get quite as large as standard koi. Butterfly Koi and long fin koi are the same thing, however, hirenga koi are more true koi and are japanese breed long fins, Most are Hi Utsuri that have been appearing the last few years.   I too have noticed distinct fin differences, actually three types for sure, One is a smooth rounded fin, one long and flowing with tips that come to a distinct point and one that is long but not as long as the pointed fin and has the shredded edges. My large Chagoi is this way and at night it is one of the best looking but during the day it's so dark it's hard to see and you can't see the detail in the fins.  For the question about fins growing back, splits, and tears. and chunks will heal. But if fungus eats down all the way to the base it's a hit and miss, I have one that got a bad sore from a heron bite and it never grew back but it is almost not noticeable. I have a Hi Doitsu that had a turtle take a bite out of a fin before I remove the turtle out of the pond.  It took two year to heal but now you can't tell it was ever damaged.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"