Author Topic: Stray  (Read 3322 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Stray
« on: May 18, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »
We live in the country and get strays dumped on us from time to time.  Last Sunday there was a big swapmeet down the road from us.  A lot of animals are bought and sold there and it seems like that is when the strays show up.
Monday afternoon this sweetiepie showed up at our house.  She had a piece of wire cable tangled up in her matted fur and was having a hard time walking.  We found cuckleburrs between the pads of her feet and her nails had grown into the pads also.  Of course she is covered in ticks and flea infested. 

I have called neighbors, humane shelters and vets.  I even loaded her up in the truck and drove around asking if anyone "knew" her.  Took her to the vet to be scanned for a chip.......no such luck.  Hubby would keep every stray, but I am the strong one that usually makes the final decision.  This one is tugging at my heartstrings, and after reading BlindToo's post, I'm thinking about giving in.  We are down to one little old dog that is deaf and partially blind and two cats.  We always liked big dogs, our last was a St. Bernard/Golden Retriever mix.  Every dog we have ever had was a stray that chose us.

She is a Great Pyrenees.  I have been working so hard in my flower beds, spreading mulch...............I can just imagine on the first hot day, where she will be laying.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Stray
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
What a beautiful dog.  It's so sad that people don't know what they have and let these animals go.  Many people don't make half the effort you have, and if you do decide to keep her I know she will be happy. 
This dog came to you for a reason, whatever you decide it matters that you care enough to help an animal that has been neglected.  thank you
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 12:36:50 PM »
Well, you are right about where she will be laying come hot weather Karen.... :)   It infuriates me at people's lack of care and concern for animals (heck, even each other) and am hoping you give in (like I would).   ;)  She has picked you and her life changed the minute she walked into yours.   o(:-)  I am such a sucker, but I don't have one animal that I have picked--they have ALL picked US!! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
What a beautiful sweetie & I hope you keep her.  It is a shame how people will neglect & abandon pets.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »
Maybe the original owner had to choose between feeding a beloved pet and his/her children.  She is a beauty.  Make her her own wet spot and maybe she'll surprise you and stay out of the flower beds.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 07:42:53 PM »
Our sons and their wives came over to see her tonight.  One has a male Great Pyrenees.  There don't seem to be many of this breed in this area and it is so odd that she came here, when we already have one as a "grand-dog".  :)  Almost as if she knew where to come.  It seems she was meant to be here.

If we find the owner, that would be great, otherwise..............I think she has found a home.  o(:-)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 09:37:18 PM »
She's a beautiful dog.  I just don't understand why anyone would abuse a pet.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
looks like a keeper ............for you . i'm to lazy to have pets although my wife [2vetts] keeps hinting about a cat . NOT GONNA HAPPEN !! enjoy your new dog .

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »
Karen, you probably already know this, but lots of people buy those little kiddie pools and fill them with water for their dogs.  Big dogs like "yours"  ;) would LOVE it!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 10:42:52 AM »
She is a keeper!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
Karen, she is such a great looking dog.  I love her white coat.  She has the calm look on her too.  She looks to be about the same size, may be a tad bigger than my shelties.  Thank you for opening your heart (and home) to her. I don't understand why people abandone their animals.  It is just sad to see unwanted strays.   :'( 

You and your husband are very kind hearted and loving.   O0 o(:-)

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 02:56:56 PM »
You have a beautiful addition to your family, Karen!   o(:-)

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 04:09:25 AM »
Well, Karen, sounds to me like she knew exactly where she needed to go! She has been neglected or lost for a long time if the nails were grown into her pads. Sometimes people use those cable tie outs on dogs, and they loop them around thier neck and they end up growing into thier necks if htey are left out there like that all the time and it's never removed. So sad. She is a beautiful dog!
Kathy

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We gave her a good brushing today and found........ some things.............she's a he.   :o  :o  :o

I feel like such an idiot  :redface: :redface: :redface:

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »
 lol     lol    What 'things' were you referring to Karen?   ;)  So he hasn't been neutered? 
LuAnn

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
We gave her a good brushing today and found........ some things...........

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?   lol lol

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 12:56:52 PM »
Hee hee...the fella is still beautiful. I like white fluffy dogs...But they are always bigger than me when they climb up on me! The last time that happened I fell over flat on my butt while my friend stood their laughing ...It was his dog.
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 08:00:05 PM »
We now believe we have a neutered male.  In our defense.........there is a huge amount of fur down there.  ::)

A lady came today that was missing a 7 month old male.  This one is older than that.  

Already having problems with our flower beds.  It's fur is coarse and when it lays down in mulch, the mulch all sticks to the dog.  If it stays, we will need an underground fence.

Our kids have been calling him Bert.  Our son's dog is Ernie.  lol
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:49:56 AM by Indiana Karen »

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 03:30:21 AM »
That is funny about the Burt & Erney  ;D

You may have to give the fellow a major fur trim.  I'll see dogs with a "lion cut" hair do around here to help keep them cooler.  A bit weird to see but I bet the dog feels a lot better without so much fur.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 07:34:07 AM »
I thought the trim thing as soon as I saw him.  It would be better for all concerned! 
LuAnn

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 03:44:20 PM »
GP's are fairly popular around here. My boss used to have one, her name was Snow and she was HUGE! I always got a kick out of her because if he would bring her to work with him she would find the opportunity to sneak out of his office and come downstairs to say hi and then she would try to get back upstairs and into his office before he noticed. LOL!

GP's tend to roam if they have the opportunity. He could have easily traveled for miles. It might not hurt to make a flyer and post it up everywhere you can and see if you get any response. Most newspapers will run lost and founds for pets for free. Be careful, you'll get the fruit loops calling you too.

Thanks for helping him! O0
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We gave her a good brushing today and found........ some things.............she's a he.   Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

I feel like such an idiot  red face red face red face

I can't laugh too hard...did that when my best friend took in a small short hair mixed breed doggie.  It wasn't til a month or so after when the pup jumped up on me on my lap and begged a tummy rub that we found out he is a she!?!  I know...something was missing!  Sure wish I could've seen your discovery reaction!  :o ;D

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 05:45:24 AM »
Shanna, we decided not to post found ads or posters because of dealing with the "fruitloops".  We left our name and number with all the area shelters and vets, hopefully if someone is hunting for him, they will find us.

Hubby took him to the creek for a bath yesterday.  He doesn't like water, but he sure smells better.  A friend is coming with clippers to help us trim him up in the next day or so. 

He is the sweetest dog.  He lays in the grass most of the day in front of our house, looking regal. My Mom has been giving us a hard time about taking in a stray, she is 90 and very wise and opinionated.  She has never liked dogs.  She even fell for him yesterday.  It seems he was meant to be here.  He never strays from our yard and we have never heard him bark.  He doesn't bother the cats or chickens either!  I cleared a path for him to get to the pond for a drink, he won't drink from a water bowl, he prefers the tasty pond water. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 03:53:44 AM »
That's what I like about older dogs.  They are much calmer and you don't have to go through that puppy stage!   :)
LuAnn

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 05:47:24 AM »
Today is the day for clipping!  I hate to do it because he is so pretty now, but underneath its a matted mess.

Here is what I mean about him worming his way into my flower beds.  Now, how can I scold a face like this.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
Yeah, you got a point there, he definitely is cute and if you scold him--he may just hit the high road like he did before.  Wait, do you suppose his former owner had flower beds?!   :o

I swear animals and flower beds just don't mix.  Dogs digging for cool spots--cats digging for a place to poop....what do you do?   :)
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"