Author Topic: easy cheesey filter is awesome!  (Read 819 times)

Offline Hannah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
easy cheesey filter is awesome!
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:58:07 PM »
 OMG... after putting my copy of the filter invention in my pond yesterday, I couldnt believe how much gunk got caught up in it! kudos to the inventer and you coulda made a million off that! I cleaned my pond out today- figured the fish would like some clean cooler water since its been so hot (100 degrees today) got a couple questions for any of you- I have 2 lillies in the pond I bought this spring- am I doing them harm by changing water temp and clarity and messing with hight for a time? last question for the night is, am I doing my pond harm by fussing over it too much? I just want a pond that has clear-ish water and dont mind the green tint to it- its concrete if thats a factor (Im sure it is) any help with my questions would be greatly appreciated  =)  ty in advance!

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: easy cheesey filter is awesome!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »
The more you empty it out, the harder it will to get it to become established.  Doesn't hurt to do partials, but to totally clean it out isn't a good thing.  It needs to cycle, it will go through a green stage then clear up.  Just keep cleaning out the filter and have patience.   o(

How big is your pond and how many fish do you have?

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline HTH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Howard The Humble
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:12:10 PM »
The longer I keep ponds the more I realize nature knows what she is doing.  We need to assist rather then fight her efforts.

Tap water contains some nutrients which contribute to the algae growth. Plants with exposed root suck up the nutrients and they will deprive the algae.

howardTheHumble

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 06:15:30 AM »
If you want clear water, don't empty the pond.  Let the water cycle through.  It will go through the green pea soup phase but eventually the good bacteria will colonize and your pond water will balance out.  If you keep emptying the pond, then the cycle starts over again.  Like Kim said, partial water changes are OK and recommended.  Keep the filter clean and put plants in to provide shade.  Your waterlilies should be fine if you put it deeper in the pond.  Some of mine are 24" under water, some are @ 18".  If you have fish, they will provide nutrients to the algae so your pond will be green.  Use healthy plants to compete with algae for nutrients to keep the algae down.  If no fish, please make sure to use the skitter donut thingie to keep the skitters down.   ;)

Patient is the virtue of ponding.  You can't ask it to hurry up.  It has its own time table.   :)

Kuan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"