Author Topic: Repotting lilies in the summer?  (Read 793 times)

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Repotting lilies in the summer?
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:13:45 PM »
What do you do when the tropical water lilies are growing out of their already large pots?  It has been a real hot late spring and summer.  The water lilies have been happy but when I went to feed them this weekend, it was hard to push a pond tabs in some of them. Any suggestions?

Cindy

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Re: Repotting lilies in the summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
If it really is difficult to get a fertilizer tab in the pot, then it is problably root bound or very close to it. You can re-pot that one in a larger pot, adding fertilizer at the same time, and likely not see much of a set-back due to what's called "shock" from the re-potting. Just keep the root mass intact and add the extra soil under and around the mass, keeping the crown at the same level (not covered with new soil.)

You could also divide the waterlily if there is more than one crown growing, which what I'd probably do. But that usually does take a little time for the plant (now, plants) to get back to growing and blooming. If you still have a couple of months left in your growing season, this is the way I'd go.

What I read, but have yet to do, is when using the Nutricote prills, sold as Red Diamond in the garden shops, is to pull the plant, root mass intact, from the pot, add the prills, and put it back in. Then you can keep it going until early spring and do the usual re-pot and/or division.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Repotting lilies in the summer?
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:42:15 PM »
Mike

Yes some of them are already root bound.  They are already in a very large lily pot. What is the largest pot you use for tropical lilies? 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"