Author Topic: Now I understand what you mean when you say you have....  (Read 1040 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Now I understand what you mean when you say you have....
« on: July 09, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »
Algae BLOOM!!!!!!  UGH!  Putrid green water, definitely no fun.

This is how it happens - Koi are in hiding possibly from egret visit, luckily no good eats for it.  Invite relatives visiting area for first time.  Leave them in the backyard by pond with big jar of koi pellets.....fish not eating?  Throw more pellets in to entice them!  >:( :o

Voila!  Green water!

Two days later I brought a bottle full of the green pond water to a local koi and pond expert.  When he saw the water he automatically said, "no need to test your water, it's too nutritious.  Cut the feeding, filter more."  He said it would clear up eventually but if I wanted faster he gave me stuff to clump the green stuff.  Took a few days but the water is clear-ish now.  Feel better now.

BUT!!!  Today for the first time I know the possible sex of my 6+ year old koi.  They've never "chased" until yesterday!  Shock to me!  Of these 4 older koi only one of them is female!  :o  Thankful she is the largest at about 15"  :P  Lots of splashing and turning over my floating pots of plants.  Water looking yucky now.  :-\

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Now I understand what you mean when you say you have....
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »
Annette, when I set the lily part of my pond up, I put the lilies in first, then I added the goldfish in later. OOPS! They got amorous after two years. They mucked up the water, it turned green, and now I have somevery colorful baby goldfish.   :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:04 PM »

There have been a couple of recent posts about fish spawning this late in the year.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:52:12 AM »
Oi, no joy on the green and now mucky water.   {nono}  Hopefully with all the splashing and messing up the pond, you will have some baby koi to show for it.   {:-P;;  I'm still battling with the string algae.  This is the worst year ever & with days and days of 100s temp, I don't even bother to pull them out of the pond.   >:(- :'(

Hope your mucky water clears up soon.  Then wait for the babies.   @O@

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
I even have green water this year.  But I didn't have enough pond cover--gave my lily to my DD.  She didn't have room for it and gave it back to me just this week, where it is now blooming!  I got my bio-filter plants late, and now have a water canna and a lizard's tail that I put in that will hopefully compete with the algae for nutrients.  The water actually looked a lot better this afternoon:  I didn't stay out there long though, with the heat index at 105*.  My WH are multiplying and that helps too, so eventually the fish will have some shade.  Hubby put a shade cover (looked like a wooden bridge) --actually an old board from the barn across the pond to provide some shade. The board was busted in the middle and the cats used it to walk across the pond and stare at the fish.  It looked so bad and was stuck in the middle of my soapwort  ::) that it started to die off.   I picked it up and put it in the garage.  I know he meant well but.....   :P  I am seriously ready for some cooler temps. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »
The thrashing of my poor female koi may have resulted in eggs but I think that after a couple of weeks of hardly any feeding they may have sucked the whole pond clean of any further life.  I'm dealing with them pulling my bog plants into the water where they suck on them until only stringy fiber is left.  This of course gets tangled in the pump!  >:(- I think I've taken the pump out of the pond at least three times to remove these long fibrous threads that stop the motor!

Water still murky but getting less so every few days.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"