Author Topic: A twist in a scam!! I have an ad on Craigs List. Looks very fishy to me. Got a  (Read 1942 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
I am not going for it!

Here is the email:
Hello Seller,
Thanks for the mail, I'm seriously interested in buying this for my son and am okay with your selling price, (1st) i will love to know the condition of this item.(2nd). i will love to see the pic of it. I'm a UN workers and currently offshore i really want this as a surprise gift for my son so i won't let him know anything about this until it get delivered to him. You can mail me back with your PayPal email address so i can make the payment to you right now and if you don't have an account with paypal you can set up an account today as it's secured and reliable visit their website on www.paypal.com. I will be responsible for the payment fees/charges on this transaction. Do not worry about shipping or picking up as my pick up agent will come and pick it up from you once have made the payment to you.Kindly get back to me asap.
Regards.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:56:15 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Never go to someone else's link when it involves giving account information.  But I'm sure you already know that.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
You bet LuAnn.
I will email and suggest his agent bring cash only.
There will be no response. I would like to know how they work their con.

It is a 1600.00 3 wheel Recumbent bike.  If my knee ever gets better I can get another.
I am getting a "Lubricant" next week.  Seriously.  It is a series of 3 injections.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 07:37:08 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pay pal is okay with things like ebay, webstore, etc., but Craigslist?  Just a little too fancy for someone "offshore" with a "pickup agent".  I wouldn't even let the guy know your address, when I sell on CL, I tell them I'll meet them at the shopping center, if they have an issue with that, then they just showed me their hand.  $1600 is too much to deal with flakes or questionable people... the cash could even be counterfeit, and then they know where you live.  Some people use this as a way to scope out your house and belongings.  I guess I've read too many stories, CL is getting to be a joke anymore because of all the scammers, spammers, crooks and hookers. lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Craig's does ssue many warnings.  You are right of course.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
No wonder your knees hurt Jerry!  Quit riding that darn thing up or down stairs!   ;D

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
I'm with Michael on this one Jerry.  If they come to your home, they are casing you out and you could end up losing a lot more than cash.  I am really uneasy about Craigs List.    :P
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Mike my injuries occured at the gym.  i act like I am 40 and now after a fee serious injuries I realize im not.
Just the other day a cute girl  was looking at me...... @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Another thing I was thinking, why not try to see if a local bike shop can sell it on consignment for you?  From what I've seen, most people on CL are seeking a bargain  - of the give-it-away-for-next-to-nothing kind, you know?
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
I do know!
I just sold an ancient UMCO Possum belly tackle box. The ad was ancient!
The guy in MN is so grateful. It is a classic box
no longer made.
here it is...http://www.antiquehelper.com/item/307305
it is aluminum. He got it for his old grandpa.
I hate to sell it, but time to stop saving things.  I don't want to become like those horders you see on TV !
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
The scam is that PayPal requires online viewable proof of delivery if a buyer claims non receipt of goods.

Local pick up means no proof of delivery.

PayPal would then refund the buyer all of the money. Even if you had a signed statement from their "pick up agent"
All PayPal cares about is online viewable signature (over $250) confirmation.

NEVER allow a buyer to pay with PayPal for a local pick up.

these scams also pay with stolen funds sometimes too.

It isn't Craig's List that is to blame, it is thieves and scammers....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Good explanation LeeAnne!

I did let the guy know he could pay CASH.  he sent the identical letter again!
It is a 1600.00 item, so it is a target!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: A twist in a scam! Another one!
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 07:57:14 AM »
another one!!!!!!
Hi thanks am glad to read from you , i will appreciate more pictures. i am a marine engineer and my permanent residence is in Pacific Junction, Iowa, i am at sea right now. I am buying this for my twin sister as a surprise promise Gift so am willing to offer you the amount you required. I can only pay through PayPal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online (i don't have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay,all i will need is your PayPal email address to make the payments, and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com  it cant take you less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your PayPal email so l can pay and also get back to me with your best price on this. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after payments has been sorted.

l will be waiting for your reply asap.
Regards.
Amanda
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
Re: A twist in a scam!! I have an ad on Craigs List. Looks very fishy to me.
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 12:42:10 PM »
It isn't Craig's List that is to blame, it is thieves and scammers....

I understand the gist of what you're saying, and I'm not trying to start an argument, but I feel that CL definitely shares the blame.  They thrive on providing anonymity to anyone and everyone, regardless of whether they are breaking the law or not.  These scammers and thieves use CL because they know that they can remain anonymous and CL will do nothing to help the victim unless a warrant is provided by authorities - even if you can prove that you're being scammed!

How many years did CL allow prostitutes to advertise on their site before the law intervened shut it down?  You can say that CL didn't provide the hookers, but they provided the venue for them to advertise for business and CL merely looked the other way.  This is like saying it's not the motel's fault that prostitutes use their rooms, but if the motels didn't rent the rooms by the hour they wouldn't appeal to so many prostitutes, or their johns.

CL is negligent, and that doesn't excuse them in my book.  Believe me, I can tell you from first hand experience that they will do nothing to assist a victim, even when they are given proof that a crime has been committed - and the California Penal Code substiantiating the claim. 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
No argument from me Michael.  They are culpable!!!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
SoCal is a huge market.  I would only sell locally.  I would arrange payment to be made in the parking lot of your local LAPD station.  This would also make the honest buyer feel better because it is not unusual for a buyer to become the victim of a robbery when it is a cash only deal.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
I had a lot of aquarium rocks to get rid of, and a guy responded and wanted them.  He kept asking for my address and I kept telling him I would meet at the local shopping center.  He decided not to buy them.  Gee, wonder why?

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
He obviously wasn't after aquarium rocks....ya think?   ;)  Thanks for posting that Michael...you made a great comparison with the motel rooms.  And I also agree with Mikey:  the pick up and payment in the parking lot of the local police or sheriff's dept.   :P
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"