Author Topic: Poor Writing Skills  (Read 596 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Poor Writing Skills
« on: August 01, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »
I just read a headline pertaining to the tragic death of the New Hampshire girl who has been missing.  The headline stated:
"Celina Cass Found Dead: Case is 'Suspicious', Say Clueless Investigators"   ;D

It implies that the investigators are clueless but upon reading the article it was clear that they meant the investigators lacked clues.....  Editors usually determine the headline for an article and this editor needs to go back to school.......assuming he/she didn't intentionally mean to insult the investigators...
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Poor Writing Skills
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:10:50 AM »
I was listening to a tv news report that just proved that the writers sometimes don't think.  The story was that thieves had broken into a bank through a skylight, and the report came from the police.  The writer wasn't thinking, and the punctuation may have been missing.  I'm sure it should have been this:
"Thieves, {pause} said police, {pause} had broken into the building through a skylight".

How it sounded, however, was like this:
"Thieves said police had broken into the building through a skylight".

I heard it and was wondering why the thieves told them that the police had broken into the building!  lol
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"