Author Topic: For those of you where it's really HOT....  (Read 1618 times)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
For those of you where it's really HOT....
« on: July 24, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
Particularly, those will shallow and smaller ponds, are you monitoring your water temps? I'm curious as to what your average temp is during this heat. It's been in the mid to upper 90's here, but with daily breaks for clouds, and some rain, but for 2 days now there hasn't been either, and my pond was 90° today, and it's usually about 80-85°. This is starting to concern me, because there is a pleco in there....

I might have to move an umbrella over to the front of it, to block the afternoon sun from hitting it if this keeps up.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: For those of you where it's really HOT....
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 07:00:37 PM »
Lynne, your Pleco should be enjoying 80-85* temps. Just don't let it go above 90-95*. Where are you checking the temps anyhow, top or bottom of pond? The bottom will be cooler.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:53:28 AM »
Lynne, your Pleco should be enjoying 80-85* temps. Just don't let it go above 90-95*. Where are you checking the temps anyhow, top or bottom of pond? The bottom will be cooler.

Hi pondman, I am checking top and bottom. But there's only a 1° difference.  It's been better the last few days, but it's still on the high side for the pleco, but he's doing ok. Thanks for the reply.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:29:06 AM by Lynne22 »

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 12:01:45 PM »
I dont check temps. I have 2 filters going in the big koi ponds of which one  filters and spouts, one filters and goes to a vegetable filter and it pours out into the pond.. So far with 100*F days all the fish are fine. And I am talking some koi 20 inches or bigger.

Offline Loritx

• Members
  • With us since: 07/04/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »
I am just north of Dallas. Temps have hit 100 for over a month now.
My pond is inground, but only a bit over 2ft deep, gets about 4 hours of direct sun mid day. Shaded by trees in the morning and the house in the afternoon/evening.
Also gets a 10 minute fresh water from the sprinklers early morning. Was 80 at about 10am and 85 at 6pm. Its a swimming pool thermometer, so dont know how acurate.
Also has two waterfall drops, so the fish seem to have enough oxygen.

o( so far all seem healthy!  o(
Lori TX

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »
I am North of Lori here in KS.  Today is day # 35 or 36 of temp over 100F.  I have an inground pond and the deepest part is 3' in depth.  I have a 3-step waterfall and I found that my fish love to hover around the drop area.  75% of my pond is shaded by waterlilies and water hyacinth.  A metal bridge about 2' wide across the slim part of the pond also provides some shade.  It gets plenty of sun until around 2pm then the tree shades it till sunset.  I only check the temp if I think something is wrong but I did check it 3 days ago when we broke the temp record 2 days in a row.  The temp was around 82F.

Kuan

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 07:50:32 PM »
Glad that I could be some help, Lynne. I know that where I lived (the Ocala area) in Florida, it was a 50/50 chance that a pleco would survive Winter in the pond. If you live south of that area, yours should survive all year in the pond.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:14:31 AM »
Been I'm middle 90s all week and will this week too.
All seems fine. Fish and turtles seem happy.  I do not take the pond temps, ever.
I have in the past out of curiosity.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »
I don't check my thermometer either.  No matter the temps I do have a large patio umbrella over my Koi pond in the summer when it gets sun from 10am til 5pm.  Seems to keep things in check.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:35 AM »
Thanks all, interesting information.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 11:00:55 AM »
If the fish are at the top gasping mid afternoon or if it is too warm to bath in when I stick my arms in the pluck spent blooms...I'll do a small water change.

I do have a floating thermometer in the pumped/filtered tank and it usually shows about 85*.  If we have had consecutive 105* days, the shallower tanks are usually a bit warmer.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
Hi Sue, yeah, I have added some water today, but it really didn't get that hot today. I am just hoping that TS/H Emily doesn't come here. I am not in the mood to secure all of this stuff on the patio and cover the big pond, ugghhh...but I have a plan in place if I need to.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"