Author Topic: Historic flooding here . . .  (Read 988 times)

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Historic flooding here . . .
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Historic flooding here in southcentral PA.  Remnants of tropical storm Lee stuck over us for days.  We received 12" of rain since Sunday.

Over 250 roads closed.  Susquehanna River normal level at Harrisburg PA is 3'.  Flood stage at 17'.  Currently at 24' and expected to crest late tomorrow night at 28'+.

That would put it at third worst ever.

Do an INTERNET search on "Susquehannna River" or "Harrisburg PA" or "ABC27" and you'll see too.

Excerpt from Internet:

Effects of the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee in Pennsylvania on Thursday:

- Up to 75,000 people under mandatory evacuation in parts of northeastern Pennsylvania, including Luzerne County.

- Four people killed; fifth person missing.

- Numerous rivers swollen and spilling over their banks including the Susquehanna, Delaware and Schuylkill, as well as creeks and streams.

- Gov. Tom Corbett declared a level one emergency, calling the flooding a clear public health hazard and issue.

- About 19,600 people were without power in southeastern and northeastern Pennsylvania.

- Hundreds of state roads in eastern Pennsylvania closed because of rainfall and flooding, along with portions of Interstate 80 in Columbia County and Interstate 81 in Lebanon County.

- PennDOT has urged motorists to avoid any unnecessary travel in eastern Pennsylvania.

- Hundreds of homes and businesses flooded.

- Amtrak says service between Harrisburg and Lancaster is suspended, and there is limited service between Lancaster, Philadelphia and New York.

- A pair of bison were euthanized at ZooAmerica, part of the Hershey entertainment resort complex, Wednesday night after they could not be rescued from the rising water.

Read more: http://www.cumberlink.com/article_279cdce8-da5f-11e0-95f7-001cc4c002e0.html#ixzz1XOsKo0wV
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:51:20 PM by Reedman »
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Historic flooding here . . .
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:18:40 PM »

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 05:57:33 PM »
Yes, please do....

We've had wildfires all around me.....One was just 9 miles away.....Every time they get 1 under control, 3 more pop up.....

I've made sure I have enough crates for all my animals and important papers and pictures ready for a moments notice!

We need the rain so badly!
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 06:31:20 PM »
1000 miles apart - night and day weather.

We need 3" of rain for the rest of the year to make it the wettest year on record . . .
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline water_sprite

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/03/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:27:38 PM »
Pretty amazing, isn't it?
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"