Author Topic: Disaster this week.  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Disaster this week.
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
I lost my 3 koi Tues. I've been so stressed out due to work and so very tired. When I came home from work Monday night I noticed that the tank was really low on water so I stuck the hose in it and told my husband to help me remember it was on. Well, neither one of us remembered. I didn't remember it until I left for work Tues. morning. All 3 gone. One had jumped out of the tank, my big orange butterfly and the white one both floating. I was just sick. I'm still sick. :( :'( :'( :-\ No more fish for me.  :-\
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Disaster this week.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 05:43:25 AM »
Oh no Shanna.  That is just heartbreaking.  I'm so sorry for you and the loss of your pets.   :'(
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 09:30:51 AM »
So sorry for your loss.   :'(  Our wet pet is part of our family.  May be after a while the pain will ease and you might consider getting a few more fish.   :-\

Kuan

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 09:44:14 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss. I am so worried that I  will do the same thing. I set the timer inside but sometimes I turn it off and forget why it was on.  Usually because I get busy with other things.  Time does heal and maybe you will get some more fish later. 

Cindy

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »
Soo sorry....thankfully we can hear our outside hydrant running when we go into the bathroom so even though we have forgetten it a couple of times its not long till one of us goes into the bathroom and remember we have water running....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
I'm so sorry you had to experience losing your pets!  I only wish I had something to say that would make you feel better.  I can only say that for me remembering is not so easy anymore.  I carry my cell phone all the time to jot notes or set the timer etc.  Without it I know I would have let a few things go astray.

Hope your work becomes less stressing....

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:57:33 PM »
Thank you all. This is the second time I've done this. My husband keeps telling me I have to stay with the hose until the tank is full instead of walking off to do something else. I know he's right but I just keep doing it anyway. I always think I'll remember the hose is on but I don't. Its maddening. I just hate walking out there and not seeing the orange butterfly come up wanting food. :-\
Shanna

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 01:39:18 AM »
Shanna, I am so sorry!  What an absolute bummer.   

I am so lucky that our water is not chlorinated as we are on a rural water line.  However, my hubby kept leaving the hose running in the barnyard and woould pump our cistern dry.  Yikes!  I can not count the times he has done this.  I finally got a water timer and have loved it.  I can set it for 15 mins and top off my quarantine pool.  It cost less than $20 and it has been a sheer pleasure to use.  Mine is bright purple (highly visible so I can't lose it!) and is shapped sort of like a barrel.  I think it is by Orbitz.  Wondermous!!   

Offline Waterbug

• Members
  • With us since: 13/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:10:13 PM »
Sorry for your loss. I've done the same thing so many times...I don't think I've remembered once to turn it off. "Honey, are you watering the backyard? Oh *&#".

I may have a solution now...I heard a talk from a professional Koi grower the other day who said he just leaves a hose running into the waterfalls, or any place the water mixes well before getting to fish. He left the water running 24 hours a day on a slow trickle. I think that would work for me, just accept the fact that I'm going to forget, so just leave it trickle. Might take a couple of days to top off but no harm.

In water features I've used a horse tough float filler supplied with water from an automatic sprinkler valve as a fail safe. Set the valve to just open for minute or two a day was enough for the water feature.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41:25 AM »
I thought I had answered this before.  So sorry, Shanna.

Offline Desertponder

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »
Thank you. If I get more fish someday I will have to get a timer or something to keep this from happening again. I don't even want to go out there to the ponds, I miss the fish and still feel so bad about it. Dog rescue is keeping me sooooo busy that I don't have time to take care of the tanks anymore. I'm probably going to cut back to one next year.
Shanna

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"