Author Topic: Catching up on the Newbies!  (Read 1393 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Catching up on the Newbies!
« on: October 11, 2011, 05:46:57 PM »
My Lily Pond Feesh have been very busy this Spring/Summer.  There are so many new babies of all sizes and color variations.  I can say which fish rule the ponds by they appearance of the baby fishies.

There are wakins, ryukins, lots of shubunkins, sarassa comets, and a ranchu in this pond.  The results of the "chase" have brought out many different forms and colors.

Here are a few I just caught...they look like shubs.  I really like the little guy with the red spot on its head and the black splotchy body.  It looks like another I have in the pond.

I'll try to link a video if I can.  Does anyone else out there like their new fishies?

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Catching up on the Newbies!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »
Here is a video from July of "the Chase."  Warning, scenes are rated PG-13 and the video is long and unedited!  {:-P;;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu0MB3T2YPE

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »
Very nice Annette!!  Beautiful, chubby fish in a plant rich environment...what more could a fish want?   ;)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 03:04:45 PM »
Very pretty selection.   O0

I have goldfish and a few not so nice koi.  It's a pretty sad group anymore since the heron has cleaned me out.  The other day, I did notice a few cute little goldfish about an inch long.  I've been thinking about catching two or three of them to put in a bowl to sit on my kitchen counter for the winter.  Not sure how to go about it.  Maybe hold a net on the bottom and drop food over the top? 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 07:20:46 PM »
Thank you ladies! 

Karen to catch the fish in the first photo I did exactly what you described.  Takes patience and a quick hand and a big net!  :o  I keep a net over my ponds permanently now because of egret and green heron sightings.  I almost see right through the net now like they're not there.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 05:50:48 AM »
I haven't gotten any babies for the past two years.  Guess they all end up being eaten.  When I did get babies, they weren't very attractive at all.  Your shubbies are great.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 07:50:06 AM »
Thanks Julles.  I think the shubs are the strongest and most virile of the bunch since most of the babies look like these guys.

Last year I think I got quite a few that may have been half wakin, because of the red and white color and body size and part ryukin because of the rounder tummies.  That's my guess and reasoning.

Yep I've been sitting by the pond far too long at a time watching pond tv.

Offline newpondgal

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
Aww...so cute!  This year being my first, I was surprised to get 3 babies!  They are soooo cute and I'm going to be a little worried about them this winter!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
Thanks, N.  I'm not sure how to care for fish in colder weather.  I suppose it also depends on the pond depth too. 

I found out this past winter that my fishies in this pond do need to be fed during the winter.  I'm going to have get more winter food...

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
Annete, love the video!!   O0  I like the fat chubby fish you have there.  The little guy looks so cute too!  I think most of my baby fishes have been eaten by the bigger fish in the pond.  I did see may be a couple baby fish from the sarassa/comet/shubunkins/wakins I have.  They look small, about 2 inches.  I hope they winter over fine in the pond because I don't plan on taking them inside.

This year, the only surprise I have is the frogs.  Found 2 big frogs and a baby frog today while cleaning up the pond.  I don't know what kind of frogs they are but they are as big as my hubby's hand/palm.

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »
Thanks Kuan!  Looks like you have a similar mix of fishies I have too.  Did you ever get a full wakin baby!

I don't have anything against frogs and I do have a few leopard frogs, but if I had a giant frog the size of your hubbie's hand I think I'd be grossed out!  :o

I'm dangerous now that I know how to upload videos!   {-)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"