Author Topic: Escaped cougar in our area.  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Escaped cougar in our area.
« on: January 09, 2007, 10:01:12 AM »
The Exotic Feline Rescue Center near Center Point, Indiana had a cougar escape from its cage last Friday.  This is approximately eight miles from our home but only one and one-half miles from our son's home!  The center houses 200 large cats.   It's a fascinating place to visit.  About a year ago I got to bottle feed a baby Tiger named Max.  He had been taken in a drug raid.  The cats come from everywhere, one had performed in Las Vegas.  Many sad stories of mistreatment.  This particular cat, Donner, was trapped six years ago in Montana after poachers had killed the mother.  It had been in a cage with a brother and apparently climbed the 14ft. fence.  Sure hope they catch the little gal, they have brought in professional trappers hoping she is still in the area.  Of all the cats they house, she is the least dangerous and weighs only 70 pounds.
Here is their website:  www.exoticfelinerescuecenter.org and a link to our local newspaper article: http://www.thebraziltimes.com/ along with some pics I took on a visit.
Karen

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Escaped cougar in our area.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »
The pictures are wonderful. The grown tiger is so great and the cub is so cute. What is the last one, a leopard? Look at that face and the eyes, scarey. I wouldn't want to tangle with those guys.

Better keep your pets in the house.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 10:37:44 AM »
Yes Esther, that last picture is a little scary.  We were in an area not accessible to the public.  I stepped up to the chain link fence to take the pic, so the fence wouldn't show in the picture.  The owner, Joe Taft, quickly stepped in front of me and said that the cat could lunge instantly at the fence.  That was the only time I was there that I was a little uncomfortable, didn't realize that cat was so easily provoked!  They have a bed and breakfast there also.  Windows on two sides of the room looking into pens.

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 04:16:23 AM »
How beautiful, I hope they find her! 

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 05:42:52 AM »
Very interesting. Thanks for the links and the pictures. What a blessing to have people that love big cats and provide a loving shelter for them. I hope they find the cougar.

Offline pondmary

• Members
  • With us since: 23/12/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 03:16:50 PM »
Beautiful Kitty! Hope they find you!

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »
Have they found it yet?

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 05:02:38 PM »
Beautiful cats!  I would be worried too, do you have any animals that stay outside?  Like a dog or a cat....Hope everyone has brought in their pets in the area.  Hope they catch it soon.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 05:21:02 PM »
No, they haven't found her.  They are hoping that she is still on the grounds staying close to her littermate.  They have professional trappers and we are expecting rain tonight so hopefully this might help.  They also have searched with a helicopter with heat sensing devices, but no luck.  Of course there are all kinds of "sightings" miles away in every direction ::).  They say she is very timid and probably hiding.  Its in a wooded area, so it will be hard to find her.  The local elementary school is having no outside recess and the kids are not to stand outside waiting on the bus. Here's a pic of a couple mountain lions that I took, I doubt that it is her because they said she usually hid.
We do have a small dog and three cats outside but haven't brought them in.  If I lived closer, I probably would.  Our son that lives nearby doesn't have outside pets. 
Karen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"