Author Topic: Does anyone know what kind of worm this is?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Does anyone know what kind of worm this is?
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:09:55 AM »
These have been eating the crap put of my pads for the last month. I always find them on the top, and sometimes floating in the water, apparently looking for a pad to leech onto. I do have mosquito dunks in the water, and I know about the safer catepillar stuff, but I wonder if it will work? I've never had worms before, but they are making salad out of my pads, especially the tropical pads. For scale purposed, this is in a brine shrimp net, and it's about 3/8" long. Color is reddish brown, pinkish in the water. Could it be a millipede, like a baby? We have them here.....note the antennae/feelers on the head....there are about 3-4 per day that I find. But they do a LOT of damage.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Re: Does anyone know what kind of worm this is?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
Lynne, not sure what it is but it looks scary.  I don't like that it treats your lily pads as salad.   {nono}  I'm not sure if the mosquito dunks will help or not but sure hate to see them damage your lily pads.  >:(-  Hope you find a solution soon.

Kuan

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 12:57:14 PM »
It almost looks like the worms I find in my bio filter.  I think it is a red worm (maggot) from a small fly, maybe.  But then again I nevre magnified the guys.  Sorry it's eating your pads, fishies should love em.   Somebody will know for sure....

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 03:44:40 PM »
Does it have tiny legs?

Is it a centipede?

http://insects.tamu.edu/extension/publications/epubs/e_217.cfm

Hi Sue, I'm not sure. I wished I would have magnified it before I.....disposed of it.  ;) Next one I get, I will put a glass to it....

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 03:50:18 PM »
Lynne, not sure what it is but it looks scary.  I don't like that it treats your lily pads as salad.   {nono}  I'm not sure if the mosquito dunks will help or not but sure hate to see them damage your lily pads.  >:(-  Hope you find a solution soon.

Kuan

Thanks Tweety, I am going to try some Safer...

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 08:19:33 AM »
It's not the little worms you find in filters that make the little midge that Annette mentioned.   Those are harmless and don't eat lilies....fish eat them.   It doesn't look like any caterpillar I am used to seeing around lilies, so I am wondering if it is a caterpillar on a nearby tree or shrub that are dropping into the water, and then eating the lilies.   My remedy for anything like that is to just pinch off any affected pads.   If the lily is growing well, it will never miss them.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 04:24:39 AM »
Hi Marilyn, I just got the Bonide Thuricide yesterday, had to order it online, but misted them just before dark last night, so we will see. There isn't really anything hanging over the pond, but there are plants all around it. After thinking on this for a while, I think it's the same worm that started eating my rose bushes a while ago.

My neighbor had gotten some Canna, and they are being eaten by a black fuzzy caterpillar as well. (at my size, they are smooth) Mine are much smaller than hers though, and seem to be mostly in the pond. We've just never, ever had any kind of caterpillar here before, so it's confusing us as to where they are just magically showing up from. But I have seen a couple just laying on the floor of the patio though, mostly dead. They have become pitch black in color too.

I am not sure the Thuricide will work though, if they are not IN the pond, but coming to it....we'll see. Winter is almost upon us here though, so it might not be an issue much longer.

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 05:54:14 PM »
Looks like a millipede to me.  Have them fall into the ponds here sometimes but are not really a pong critter that I know of.  See them a lot in damp dark areas here.

Mikel

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
That's what I was thinking too, a milipede.  They are slick and dark and if you touch it it rolls into a circle.  I don't see them about much, but mostly in the dark--under rocks and in leaf litter.  One year I had a few in the house.  They didn't do anything but crawl across the floor--the cats loved to bat them around.  They aren't very fast like a centipede is.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »
It's a type of millepede and BTK will have no affect on it.
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"