Author Topic: Are you a slave to your pond?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Are you a slave to your pond?
« on: January 21, 2007, 12:23:34 PM »
... And I mean that in a good way O0 My pond brings me many hours of enjoyment I can't wait to get home and try a new idea sometimes.
My wife thought I was crazy for putting money into a hole in the ground. She loves it now but when we first moved here the "pond" was nothing more than a green murky hole in the ground that the owner said was dead and needed to be drained. Had I not discovered fish in it I would have done so. It started out looking like this:

Then it progressed to this:

Then this:

And now it looks like this:

I need to get a waterfall in there with a couple of falls and 1 or 2 smaller pools. Any Ideas? I need to visualize!
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Daisy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Are you a slave to your pond?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 03:55:53 PM »
And what a transformation it is.  :o  That is really gorgeous. You should be very proud of the work you've done. It really looks fantastic. WOW  O0

Offline MikeW

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 06:36:21 PM »
I am having trouble seeing your pond. Is it behind that lake?

To compliment that set up, the falls are going to have to be gorgeous! No pressure  :)

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 07:02:11 PM »
I believe that if I use a large enough area and slope it gently and add in some landscaping it would look nice and be a value added. ( I love the way Indiana Karens looks so I PM'ed her for plant Ideas) The waterfall is supposed to be the focal point of the pond but not detract from it, that is why I was asking for ideas. All input is appreciated!

I was thinking  about something like this:

But due to the cost of rock here in Florida I had to cut back from my previous plans maybe something more like this.....

Ideas Anyone?
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 08:36:50 AM »
That rock is a tad big, but i am sure if you throw a party for us we can manhandle it.
Just say when, @O@ @O@
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:31:24 PM »
Hi Andy, I made the leap. :o I hope once I get to feeling more comfortable here everyone wont get to up set with all my yappin @O@ ;) Your park and pond are looking better than ever this year. I'm so glad you recoverd from the desaster. ;D
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 09:39:29 PM »
To answer your question.... Nope...

Initially I spent a lot of time with pond maintenance but I enjoyed doing it.  As time has progressed the maintenance was no longer fun and I then started getting rid of high maintenance plants and I was no longer concerned about having crystal clean water or some debris on the bottom.  I still enjoy my pond without being a slave to it.  In fact, we are presently in another state for about a week and when I left I didn't leave any pond instructions for our son.....  I also enjoy the habitat I've created for the birds and other critters that visit.
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 04:58:02 AM »
Wow!  That looks big enough to fish in.  J/k!   ;)  You have a beautiful pond!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 08:58:13 AM »
Hi Andy,
Just now sent you a PM, sorry it took so long.  As time goes on, I have become less a slave.  I don't worry anymore about every little leaf that hits the bottom and only have a few lilies.  They were too much maintenance for me, repotting and fertilizing.  Mine have jumped the pots and are on their own now.  I still don't like weeds in my landscaping though and have a regularly scheduled meeting with my round-up squirt bottle :o  (also love Preen).  As my shrubs and bushes get bigger, I have let some of my perennials go too, this helps with maintenance, only trim once a year.  Of course all this free time gives me a chance to do more landscaping in other areas of the yard!  Oops, so now maybe I'm a slave to the yard instead of the pond!!!!
Karen

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2007, 05:30:03 PM »
Even though you pond is mature and doing well on its own doesn't mean it doesnt want your care and nurturing ?)(? too bad we can't identify some of those plants  I really would Like to get some of those pondside 8-)~ Joyce can you help us out? I first saw them in this post http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=100.0 ideas?

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:23 PM »
IndianaKaren hi, I just checked out the thread Andy just left. What a georgious pond. And so sorry to hear the sad ending to the deer. I have only had one big buck so far one very hot day spend the day by my pond. He drank from the edge and laid in the cooler shade tell well after dark. A lady I know actually had a cow in her pond and it did no damage to her liner. YIKES! a cow.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"