Author Topic: Some of our latest projects  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Some of our latest projects
« on: November 18, 2011, 08:58:54 PM »
Pete and I just finished a bathroom redo for a needy family from our church. It took us about 4 weeks with us both working about 5 hours a day. Here is the link to the Photobucket page. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v336/estherwaayenberg/Bathroom%20redo/

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Some of our latest projects
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
 @O@   you guys do good work   o(:-)

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:04:17 AM »
Wow, very nice Esther!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
Very, very nice Esther and Pete!  I wish we lived closer..... ::)   :)  I love the tile and the flooring! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:32:19 PM »
The tile was the cheapest Home Depot had and the little mosaic was from one store where it was on clearance with one missing so it was clearance priced + 10% off because it was defective. I bought it because I liked it, but couldn't have afforded it for the whole job anyway. We made a little open front cabinet out of the leftover knotty pine and I tiled the top. Messed up on the measuring though by about 1/4" and so now we are left trying to figure out how to attach the trim around the edge.

The floor from Home Depot was called Allure and is something new in the way of floating floors. We didn't have to purchase and put down cement board, just clip the boards together. Real easy to work with. It is supposedly not water permeable and guaranteed for 25 years. We'll see. That family has 4 kids, 10, 7, 5, and a 9 month old. They just found out they have another on the way. Whoops.

We saved the knotty pine that we tore out of the bathroom and made cupboard doors as the old kitchen was horrible and poor Mary hated the bright green doors. Of course they had been painted maybe 5 times and the only way to retrieve them would have been to strip them. But the hinges and pulls were rusty and painted over too so we dumped them all. Then we priced hinges for 9 doors and they were around $2-3 each and I didn't want to pay for them and these folks couldn't afford them. Our church paid for the materials for the bathroom but we didn't think it was fair to stretch the project and make them pay for the kitchen too. Then I remembered that when Pete redid our kitchen 25 years ago, I kept all the hinges and pulls. Sure enough, I had enough to do all nine doors. I just scrubbed them up and then put a coat of clear coat on them and they looked like new. The owners painted the walls and cupboards and I taught Mary how to put self stick tile over the freshly scrubbed shelves. Makes them look like new and easy to wipe out after that.

Try it. especially under the sinks and in the drawer bottoms. When you spill , it is so easy to clean and looks nice too.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
Did you notice the cement stairs going down on the left side? Well that house had been built in 1898 and those stairs were to their "storm cellar". The bathroom was an addition over top. Some of the floor joists were laid right in the dirt and propped in place with pieces of broken cement and bits of 2 x 4. Because they layed in dirt, they had gathered moisture for years and some were rotted through about half way. OF COURSE WE DIDN't know that when we started the project. It started that I thought Pete could fix the plumbing to get the water running in the sink and shower and maybe put in a new floor. But everywhere we turned we ran into more work and problems. My original quote to pastor when I asked if the church wanted to get in on it was $600. So don't have me quote for your business. You'll go broke in a hurry. It ended up being around $1500, just for the materials. Luckily, we had some stuff here and of course Pete has all the tools. I worked right along with him, even though I'm not a builder. But somehow, I found stuff to do. I took the 7 year old outside and we walked around the yard picking up stuff. We hauled 4 loads of trash, including the throwaway from the build, to the dump. They are so poor, that when they needed to throw out a broken chair, they'd put it in the basement because in the city here, they have to purchase tags to have the haulers pick up a bag. And if you don't have a hitch or a trailer, you can't haul to the dump even if you could afford it.
Did you see my filthy hands? That wasn't dirt. It was Great Stuff. On one of the pictures you can see light coming through the bottom base plate where it has rotted away. Outside there is a cement slab so when it rains, it slants towards the house and just lays there. SO first I plugged the cement block foundation with mortar, with my hands, and once they were a mess, I figured I might as well get plugging with GS and then followed with insulation. 
Oh and the pictures of me in my "work pants"-----Those jeans were left at one of our rentals about 5 years ago. When they wore through and the seat split out, I patched them. Now they are wearing out above the patch and I guess I'll just have to toss them.
It was such a joy to hear 7 year old Keagan say, "Wow, that tub is huge." I said, "You'll be able to lie down in it." He just looked at me with these big eyes. Then 10 year old Maddie said, "Wow, Pete is putting in a door. Will it have a knob?" You see, the old door didn't have a knob. They had put a screen door hook on it mounted way high so the little kids couldn't lock themselves in. The light didn't even have a switch. you had to turn the bulb with your hand. The only thing that worked in there was the toilet and it was not up to code as it was crammed in a space way to small.
Yes, it was a lot of work but I loved doing it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 02:56:28 PM by Esther »

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 01:25:36 PM »
Wow Esther, what a generous thing to do.  I'm sure it was much appreciated. o(:-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
I am sooo busy, but I knew I wanted to read this thread.  Glad I did.  Esther, you have the biggest heart ever! 

What a wonderful story, just at Thanksgiving time.   :)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »
Mary's mom and dad live about an hour drive from Mary. Her mom just had knee surgery so can't be having company for dinner. So they are coming to Mary's house. About a year ago, her father who is very overweight was sitting on the toilet and it actually fell through the floor. That gives you some idea of the condition of the place. So I am excited for her folks to come to visit and see the improvements.

I don't know what to say about the compliments but just that I love doing things for people.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 10:09:04 AM »
Esther, you and Pete are simply amazing people with humongous hearts.  Plus the talent between the two of you is more than any corporate company.  Bless you!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"