Author Topic: Pre-Filter vs. Hungry Goldies  (Read 1023 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pre-Filter vs. Hungry Goldies
« on: February 09, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »
Goldies WIN!  I'm the loser I guess.  Water flow almost at a dribble.  Had to reach down about 30" into the soooo cold water to fish for the pre-filter.  It was packed with @#$^@*  {-)  Yucky! 

Ever since we decided to feed the fish more often (yes we feed them winter food when the water is cold) all year round I've had to clean out the pre-filter more often  >:(  Probably once every 6 weeks or less  :P

The water is sooo cold I don't know how these small fish can handle swimming in it!  Well the waterfall is flowing again  o( o( o(

So my pondmaster pre-filter works amazingly.  I like it better than the foam filters that came with the pump.  How about you?  Do you pre-filter?

Our view of the Sierra Nevada Range on our way to Tahoe to ski for a week while fishies maliciously packed the pre-filter  :P

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Filter vs. Hungry Goldies
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
I'm zone 6 and I do not feed my goldies in the winter.  When the weather starts to warm up, I'll start out by dropping in a few pellets.  When they all make a dive for them and beg for more...then I'll start feeding.

I do have a DIY prefilter before my DIY trashcan (skippy type) filter.  I also do water changes occassionally and vaccum the bottom when it looks necessary.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 01:58:51 PM »
Sue, I love your DIY filter and skimmer.  Your skimmer is a project I hope to make this Spring when I redo a few things around my pond.

I realize there aren't many feeders out there this time of the year but when you are feeding the fishies when the water is warmer do you find that your pre-filter gets clogged?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:07:10 AM »
I noticed that my falls was running a little slower, so I pulled up the pump, and - sure enough - it was clogged with gunk.  I hadn't checked it for months.  And when the koi got into the lily section of the pond and tore up so much plant material, this added to the debris being sucked toward the pump's pre filter.  Good thing it's on there.

Nelson's Water Gardens, our biggest local pond store, removes and throws away those foam pre filters.  They don't filter well, and clog quickly and bog down the filter.  They recommend a basket type pre filter, which is what I use.  Works great.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:10:37 PM »
Yeah, I don't get the foam pre filters purpose either.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:46:13 PM »
 {:-P;;  I'm a real DIYer and yes, my prefilter gets clogged.  I usually spray it off weekly.

I have a new ider in mind for this spring   ;)  I'll see what happend   ::)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »
Sue, oh,oh,oh....Please share your DIY with us!

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »
 :D  It's too cold to play in the water yet.

When I give the new idea a try and see if it appears to work, I'll share  ;D

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"