Author Topic: Interesting day...  (Read 1640 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Interesting day...
« on: February 14, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
This day has a different meaning for me. Not that I was never inclined to buy flowers for a girl on Valentine's Day, but when I was 15 one of my Grandfathers passed away on a Saturday morning, February 14th.  I always end up remembering him on this day especially, but something else happened today that just occurred to me.  When I had Rocky, I had always thought that somehow he and my Granpa were connected somehow.  Then one day when I was going through some old photo albums my Grandmother had, I found a picture of my Grandpa with a couple of white birds on his arm - he had forever been a member of the Audubon Society.

So today I was filling in the pond I used to have, and since it's a deep hole and I'm going to put in a fire pit, I had decided to call it "Rocky's Fire Pit".  Without even thinking about what day it is, I had dug up Rocky from his temporary grave on the hill to bury him in his final resting place beneath the soon to be fire pit.

How fitting that I have Rocky and my Grandpa on my mind today.... both just happened without me realizing it.  I know, I sound a little silly and all that, but I don't care... I just thought it was nice to share it, however out there I may sound.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting day...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »
Valentine's isn't just a day for candy, cards and flowers

o(:-)  but the perfect day to remember all those that we have loved.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 05:27:16 PM »
I agree Sue.

And Michael, I don't think you sound 'out there' at all, just someone who is in touch what they are feeling.  I like Valentine's Day because it does bring back many memories and our 'connectedness' to those we love that aren't with us anymore. 

I don't like the hype of Valentine's Day to buy diamonds, etc., but I DO like that we think back when we were in school and got to make those boxes, buy valentines for our school mates, receive a few that were precious and a few from the bratty boys in that class that were not.... ::)  Remembering (with longing) my parents and grandparents who made this day memorable for me by the special things they did with me. 

So I think it's fitting that you would remember Rocky and Grandpa together, they are loved ones who were special and need to be remembered on Valentine's Day!  I love the idea of a fire pit where the pond was too, and putting Rocky there is extra special.   o(:-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:16:44 PM »
Even though Rocky was your bird, I miss him. I got a kick out of seeing your pictures and hearing your stories about him. I know he was your bosom buddy and soul mate---he was family. I think it is neat that you have that feeling of connectiveness with Grandpa and Rocky.

Don't tell anybody. I have lots of connectiveness going on in my house. My mom's bread knife is in my drawer. I don't use it much, but it's there. I have several sweaters in my closet that were my mom's and also some of her jewelery. When my dad remarried, I would wear something of mother's when I went to be with the new wife. Silly I know. There are several sewing hand tools that are in my drawer, and pieces of fabric from her quilts that I see from time to time in my drawers.

My parents were very involved with their church and helping missionaries. Because of the contact with foreign missionaries, they would often be given items made by tribal people. We have several pieces of ivory that was given to them waaay back before it became illegal to take it. I have a pistol that was given to my dad by a missionary that he used to take out with the tribesmen when they had to hunt down a rogue elephant or kill a huge snake that was invading the "village". Wish I knew the stories behind it. My bedroom has two rocking chairs and each belonged to a grandma on each side. I have a bread plate hanging on the wall in the living room that belonged to my mom's mother. Hanging over the couch is a painting done by my mom's sister in law. She's been dead now maybe 10 years but somehow, I like having it there and knowing she lifted the brush that applied the paint to that picture.

I'm glad you have a reason to have this connectiveness. I think it is healthy. Maybe keeps us from feeling so lonely or alone. I have no siblings so when mother and daddy died, I felt kinda empty even though I have a husband children, and other relatives.

Hang in there Mike. One foot in front of the other is my motto.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
I know Esther, I miss Rocky too.  I loved that bird; I still do, it's like I knew him somehow.  :'(   :hug:
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:53:45 PM »
Michael you have 3 very smart ladies above saying what is all so true.  All I can say is that you got an effective date to truly remember someone who in spirit is connected with you.  Sometimes dates are good ways to remind us of someone special.  Any other day and it rips me to remember a specific date.

I agree that V-Day shouldn't means all the commercial hoopla associated with it.  It brings out the phony cover image of "love" in many people.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:19 AM »
I find it so appropriate that the day meant to be all about love and loved ones was spent thinking about souls so very dear to you. 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
Thank you all for making me feel 'not so weird' about linking up my memories the way I did on that day. 

remembering Rocky...

thank you for missing him, I really miss him too.  For the past nine years I lived in this big house, and now it seems so empty... Grandpa would have loved Rocky!

This pic was when I first moved into this house... his cage was the first thing brought inside, so I could make sure he would get used to his new surroundings...
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 08:58:29 AM »
I didn't know about Rocky, I am so sorry for your loss

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
Did Rocky ever nip you?  I saw the photo of you trimming his claws with the Dremel and Rocky's beak is near you hand.  A friend has several parrots and she has some small scars on her hand and one on her cheek where her parrots have nipped her.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 05:28:16 PM »
No, Rocky was very trusting of me and it got to the point where I could do almost anything (within reason, mind you) and he knew he was safe with me.  I did have to trim his beak once because he was chewing on a cotton rope and it split the end of his beak and a piece of cotton was wedged in there.  I went to cut with some scissors (it's like trimming a finger nail... a LARGE finger nail!) and he bit down on the scissors and got me accidentally.  It was pretty painful, but he wasn't after me, he just didn't know what the scissors were doing.  That was the only injury I ever got from him.

When I used the dremel, it was so cute... he would sometimes try to bite the dremel, so I had to stick my head in between so he wouldn't get hurt.  It's like he never put it together that my hand was operating the dremel!

When he had his eye injury before his cataracts developed, I had to administer eye drops.  Keep in mind, I had to hold his beak/head like that for a few seconds with the eyedropper that close to his eye until the timer on the camera clicked... yes... he was very trusting.

Sometimes, when I had to hold on to him I put one finger in his beak and held his beak closed on my finger.  He knew my finger was there and didn't want to bite down, and trusted that I was helping him.  When we had to take him to draw blood, I asked the vet not to wrap him in a towel - he hated being confined - and she was amazed that he allowed them to stick a needle in him and draw blood without being wrapped up.  The nurse just held him and pet him.  He squawked once when the needle went in, but since they were holding him he trusted them.

All that is pretty amazing considering when I first bought him he didn't like people at all and lunged at me!  In case anyone wants to read a looooong poem, here is one I wrote about the time Rocky and I came together:
http://mascotgraphics.com/parrot_ad.htm
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 05:35:12 PM by mascot »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 10:46:55 AM »
Rocky was a very very good and smart buddy.  All from being raised with your love.  You did right by him.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
I feel your heart in your poem.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:20 AM »
Thank you... I have always loved animals since I was a puppy, but I never realized I would fall for one with feathers the way I did with Rocky. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"