Author Topic: Need opinion on Snails  (Read 1480 times)

Offline skarol98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Need opinion on Snails
« on: April 30, 2012, 07:36:20 AM »
I was checking ebay for pond stuff and someone is selling snails for a pond and it say that helps with the pea soup. What you guys think about snails?(trapdoor)
Thanks

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Need opinion on Snails
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32:11 AM »
I know they eat the algae on the liner and also decaying plant matter, I guess that would help with a pea soup situation. I love to watch them chugging along!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
I used to think snails help out too.  Now I know they are more trouble than they are worth.  I had the usual regulars but they multiply so fast and get into the pump (clogging it).

Pea soup in a pond is caused by too much nutrients (fish poopies and leftover fish food) in the water.  To prevent pea soup in my ponds I have to hide the fish food from DH, who does not listen to the rules (probably because he doesn't have to deal with yucky water).  IF he had his way the fish would be fed a few times a day, everyday.  {nono}

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »
Oki! So by reading this i vote against! Thamks

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »
I recall that snails are also a link in the lifecycle of a specific parasite but I do not recall which.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »
I vote no. Snails may eat some algae but mine eat my waterlilies. I did not add them on purpose, they came in on some plants. They seem to vastly prefer plants I paid for and not garbage. I never felt they did any "clean up" in aquariums either. The myth that they help clean the pond or tank persists.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 02:16:53 PM »
I have the Japanese trapdoor snails. I have not noticed them on my plants. I have not had a problem with over population. I have never seen them in my pumps. As always holds true. Something good for one might not be that way for another.

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 09:24:17 AM »
I have always considered snails just one more addition to the biomass of a pond.  They are just another animal that poops too.  Have foud it better to just keep them out as much as possible and save the space for the plants.  As far as pea soup algae is concerned they add to it, but not much.

Mikel

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
The one thing that I have found that helps is lots of bare root plants.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 05:28:25 PM »
Pea soup green water--a UV is a bit higher but, less problems than snails...also its been my experience "You build it and they will come" with snails.....but, as to their helping--they only cause more problems IMO...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 10:24:54 PM »
Thanks everyone :) no snails on my pond :)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:06:50 AM »
Good luck with your decision of "NO SNAILS".  I have little ones and at one point had put two Apple snails in from the aquarium but they were impossible to see as they were dark brown against the black of the liner and gunk of the bottom. I found them eventually DEAD mid fall. The snails come in on plants you purchase. They don't cause any problem for me at all but suspect that the ones in the Skippy die back and or get pumped out when we empty it for winter. But somehow, come spring I see snails here or there. No problem  with them but I would NOT add them in intentionally. Yah they eat algae on the surfaces but not enough to make any difference.

NOW in my opinion having had a pond about 12 years====and every pond owner has their way of doing things that works for them,,,,I have a waterfall with 4 overhanging drops/steps. When I'm struggling with gunky water, I put filter media in a basket that fits under two drops in the waterfall and add another sheet of filter in my skimmer box. I have to commit to cleaning them frequently but I get it mechanically cleared up. Anywhere you have running water, try to filter it more than normal. IF all else fails, use a chemical (don't shoot me) but be very careful in dosing as you can easily kill your fish. Another thing if you do use an algaecide, be aware that you need lots of filtering then too as all those dead "pea soup" fibers are now laying on the bottom of your pond.

I can see in mine that string algae is beginning and it's way early for cover from the water lilies. So I might just sneak a little algaecide in, but don't tell anybody. This pond about 9 years ago had SA so bad (because I didn't do anything about it) that the fish had made little trails in it to surface. Eventually we both got in the pond and would reach down as far as we could and swish our hands around grabbing hands full and then bring it up, wring it out and toss the clumps into a bucket on the shore. Two of us worked about an hour that way.  That is when I learned that I had to stay on top of any algae problem and resort to the algaecide before it got out of hand.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"