Author Topic: Well, it's official...  (Read 3022 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Well, it's official...
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
As of this moring, I am now a freelance automotive journalist!

I was given an assignment and it was accepted on first pass and published to their internet magazine: http://www.streetlegaltv.com/news/heads-up-73-plum-crazy-challenger-stolen-out-of-garage/

Please pass this on to anyone you know... and comment on the article if you want to!

Thanks....
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Well, it's official...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
Fantastic news!!!  Good read!  Congrats, Michael!

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
Thank you!  I submitted a second article just now and it was published before I knew it.  Finally, a job that I thoroughly enjoy... it's only part time for now, but hopefully I can work it into full time.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 03:47:25 PM »
You know the topic and you write well. A perfect marriage.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »
Thanks... I've done three stories for them now and they like what I'm doing thus far.  I do love writing about cars, so it is a good match.

I'm not sure if I'll marry this one.  I might sleep just with it for a while and see where it goes.
yeah, i know. that was bad.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 05:08:18 PM »
Congratulations!!!!!   @O@  Your patience has finally paid off!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »
Thanks, LuAnn!  I'm not sure if what I was is called 'patient', but I do feel a lot better to be working finally.  I spoke to my contact today and he told me I was doing a great job, and he was very happy with my writing.  I do hope this becomes a full time gig, eventually - it pays a bit more than the freelance work.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:44:28 PM »
You're welcome Michael!  It's wonderful to get paid for doing something you love to do and you are good at.  I read your article, btw, and it was very good.  I can't believe that someone would steal a car right out of a garage!  Seriously, with a car like that, you couldn't drive it around so it could be seen.  Surely they wouldn't strip it for parts?!  :-\
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
Best wishes and I hope it works out for you.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Well, thanks again.  Yes, I do love to write.  I've written a couple more articles now, and today they asked me to come into the office on Friday because they have some things going on... not sure what to expect, but it seems they want me to do even more work because they like my writing.

If you want to see what they've published, you can click on my name on the article and it will show everything that I've written.  It's kind of fun and exciting... I mean, for 18 years I was an editor and we rarely ever wrote complete sentences, now I'm writing complete stories!  It feels good to be appreciated, too.

It's sad to say this, but I've read about four or five other articles that others have written and there are so many errors it's ridiculous.  One person wrote about a car and called it an Oldsmobile when it's a Pontiac, that same person wrote "peaked our interest" when the word is spelled "pique".  Another article I read by someone else on another site mentioned "Thucksun Special" on the side of a car when the company name is "Thickstun".

I'm just amazed at how many people pay so little attention to details and don't bother to do the research when they write an article!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 08:09:16 AM »
Congrats.  You're very good at it.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:38 PM »
Well, thank you so much!

This is a dream job for me...   @O@

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:16 PM »
I didn't want to put the cart before the horse, but things have progressed very fast with this company.

Initially they told me that after 2-3 months they would give me a feature article and see how I do on it. After 3 days they asked me to write a feature article. 

The also told me that after a few months they would see if I would fit into their organization as a full time employee.  Last Friday they called me in for a lengthy interview and asked me if I was interested in a full time position on their staff.

While I was there, I was told by the Pres of the company that he felt I had talent as a writer and that I was doing well.  I was also told by another person there that the person I interviewed for my feature article had called and told them he was very impressed with me.  That blew them away, they said I was able to get this guy to open up more in one phone call than they have in a few conversations. He's a big client of theirs, and they're happy that he was impressed with me.

Today, I was offered the position, so it's official: I am going to be working full time again, at a desk, in an office, at a business.... doing something I love to do!

I'm just excited and now that I've written over 24 articles for them I feel that I have finally found my niche!

Thanks for those who have encouraged me and all the nice things you've said.  Finally... being wordy has really paid off!  lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 07:00:49 AM »
Wow, getting paid for what you LOVE to do....does that qualify as a job?!   :D  Just kidding of course:  CONGRATULATIONS!  Perisistence ALWAYS pays off and you certainly have that.  Plus talent.  A winning combination!    @O@

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race”.
--Calvin Coolidge
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:59:55 PM by Kittyzee »
LuAnn

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
That's wonderful Michael.   @O@  Congratulations! 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »
OH wowowow!!! :D I'm so glad to hear this. Took a file for sure.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 11:50:37 AM »
Thanks again... I really hope this works out well for me. Writing stories about cars and engines and stuff!  Even my best friend has said, "it's the perfect job for you, not hiring you would be their loss".  (and that only cost me a 12 pack of Coors to get him to say that!)

I even get to do a little artsy fartsy stuff, which they are grateful for.  I think this is one job where I'll be able to use a lot of my other skills, such as video and graphics.  It's exciting!

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »
Michael.  I once had a problem employee. I told him the best eay to hold and grow in a job is...
Make yourself indispendible!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
I'm starting to wonder... I have even more good news...

They offered me the position, but it was as a contract staff writer. It would be a couple/few months, then they would decide whether to make me a full time permanent employee.
So I asked them if I could take a couple days here to tie up some loose ends, get some signs and banners done for my clients and start fresh on Tuesday, the original start date.  They said, no problem.

A couple hours later I got another email saying that they are going to just hire me as a regular full time employee instead of contractual!

I'm blown away... and very flattered that it's happening so quickly!!  @O@

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 03:29:48 PM »
Great news! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
 @O@ @O@

Will you be able to do much of this work from home?

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 12:04:31 AM »
No working from home on this one, possibly in the future.  There are a couple guys who live out of state and have editorial positions.

I'm excited either way; at the office/shop I'll be around all the cars they're building, so I get to be a part of that process too.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 05:40:38 AM »
Will you be able to keep your existing clients, the sign and banner people?

Question:  Since this is about cars and engines, do you tailor your writing to match the subject?  For instance, if you were writing for doctors or in a science magazine, the writing style would be dry and technical.  Glamour Magazine has its own peculiar writing style.  I'm imagining that guys reading about cars don't want flowery prose or overly wordy articles.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
I'll still do my graphics business and keep the regular clients I have, most of which are friends. With school 3 nights a week and a full time job I'll turn it back a notch.... I could do more artwork being unemployed, but not so much now.

re: writing style... good question!  I change my style a little, but not much.  The content changes, just like when I contributed to a computer magazine years ago, but my style stays about the same.  I try to use humor when it's a less-than-serious story, and I sometimes throw in an anecdote that people can relate to just to draw them in.

Even when I submitted a memo to upper management where I used to work trying to convince the leaders of a 200-million-dollar company that a certain proposal was a bad idea; I used an anecdote to get my point across in my one-page memo - and it worked, too!  I even managed to get a couple of unsuspecting fans after that memo.  What one person said just blew me away - I was completely flattered by his compliment.

I don't think I would be able to write for a medical journal... I like my readers to have fun and to be entertained, even when the theme is of a more serious nature.  Many of the news articles are only 250 words, but occassionally there's too much info to keep it that short.

Overall, I try to use my wit to keep the reader's attention through the end of the article - to appeal to the backyard mechanic as well as a gearhead who just loves reading about cars and looking at the pictures. We get hundreds of thousands of site visitors, and my guess is that a vast majority are not Master Certified Automotive Technicians with more credentials than a four-star General.  Many of them are just regular people who have regular jobs during the day, but transform into a car nut evenings and weekends.

Car guys (and girls) are just regular people who don't want to have to grab a dictionary when reading an article about a car.  I used to hate some writers who always seemed to be giving me their resume when they wrote a story.  Too often, they used big words when they wrote - describing a drive through particular countryside in an exotic car as having "euphoric overtones".  What the hell does that mean?  Tell me that it reminds you of how you felt after your first kiss and I'll know exactly how it made you feel!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:19:46 AM by mascot »

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 12:45:48 PM »
Great news.  Unbelievable how fast things are moving along.  Sounds like your "dream" job!

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 01:08:50 PM »
yes, it is happening very quickly... and it is a dream job!   O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"