Author Topic: Fertilizer /koi! Yes or no?  (Read 909 times)

Offline skarol98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Fertilizer /koi! Yes or no?
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:30 PM »
I been scare to add fertilizer on my pond. Is it necesary? my water lilies havent bloom, the pads look ok but Im not sure if I should use fertilizer. Will that mess with  the pond balance? Will that create more algae?

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fertilizer /koi! Yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 03:21:15 AM »
I use osmocote or something simular in all of my plants....just make sure its the little bb type slow release fertilizer....If I'm putting it in an already potted plant I just take two fingers and make a hole in the soil add a teaspoon or soo and cover it back up...if your planting new plants I add it to the bottom of a holeless container and then add the soil on top....the only way it would harm the pond is if you just tossed it in--then your water could turn green from all the nutrients--but, putting it in pots you'll have no problems with green water....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »
Correct.  If you use tabs, you push them down into the soil as far as you can, where the lily roots can reach them, but to keep any from getting into the water.  Fertilizer that gets into the water can feed algae, as stated above, and then you get "pea soup."  But lilies are heavy feeders, so they do need to be fertilized, here they say about every 2-3 weeks.  Mine have already been blooming for weeks (Houston).

So get to it!!!   ;)

Offline skarol98

• Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »
Uhhh no pea soup not for me! So I think I pass on the fertilizer! I think my fish are going to need to work hard lol

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 11:43:46 PM »
Uhhh no pea soup not for me! So I think I pass on the fertilizer! I think my fish are going to need to work hard lol
If you use tablets as suggested above it will not contribute to the pea soup.   

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"