Author Topic: Consensus on repotting tropical lily  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Consensus on repotting tropical lily
« on: May 07, 2012, 08:36:52 AM »
Hi all, just had a question regarding my Trickett. Since it never went down for the winter here in Fl. Should I repot it anyway? It has 6 buds on it, and 16 pads, so I am wondering if I really need to touch it? The pads and blooms are a bit smaller at the moment, but I'm not sure if that is because we had some really cool weather lately? Right before that cool spot, the bloom I had was the biggest ever. It's in a large dishpan, like 4/6 qt.? I think...don't see any root or anything sticking out....

So, should I, or shouldn't I? I would be crushed if I somehow ruined it.  :doh:

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Consensus on repotting tropical lily
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
If it was my lily I'd repot it with fresh soil & fertilizer.  I'd also try to pot it so the corm was going sideways instead of into the pot to try & get a fresher corm started.
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies/repotting_overgrown.html
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »
Is it crowded in its pot?  If so, it definately needs repotting.  If not, you could leave it.  But Kat makes a good arguement for fresh soil and fertilizer.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »
I just went through the very same thing. Most of my tropicals were large and blooming large blooms. I still pulled each one out and checked to see if anything was rotting.  I fertilized and repotted or repositioned them in their pot. I potted up in most cases. I don't use soil I use oil dri.  So I can reuse the potting medium every year.  This is my second year and it has been a good thing for me and the ponds.  I can just rinse it off and reuse.  If  it gets in the pond I vac it up and reuse.  I fertilize like Kat does and it has proven to be a good thing for me also.  Less work more blooms. 

Cindy

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 04:19:25 PM »
If it was my lily I'd repot it with fresh soil & fertilizer.  I'd also try to pot it so the corm was going sideways instead of into the pot to try & get a fresher corm started.
http://www.victoria-adventure.org/waterlilies/repotting_overgrown.html

Thanks for the link Kat. I guess I will brave it, and repot it. Couple of questions though.  It's very warm here, so should I wait for a cooler/cloudy day before pulling it up? I'm not clear on the suggestion about the corm? When you say 'sideways', do you have a photo of what you mean, or are you saying to lay it like they have in the link you posted? How would a new corm start? After seeing the photos on the link, I now know why the lily seems to sit off to one side, and I know it was dead center last year. It's about 4" off center. So I'm guessing the rhizome/corm? is that much longer. There were only roots when I potted it. Never saw anything looking like a corm, that I remember.

This seems a bit more complicated than a hardy for sure. Those I just cut apart, lay them in, slightly angled up, pointing towards the middle of the pot, and cover them up slightly. Maybe I'm more worried about this because it's my favorite. I'm a tropical lily repotting virgin, so maybe that's why I am skeerredddd.  lol

Thanks!

Offline Kat

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
If you know of a cold front coming in, try it.  But I've repotted tropicals in hot temps, too.  Yes, like they show in the pics at Vic is how I'm suggesting.  The lily will send new roots sideways down from the crown & then you eventually remove the old "pineapple" looking growth.  The lily will eventually start growing upright again.
Kat

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 03:28:44 AM »
Thanks Kat. One more question. Why is is necessary to keep such a long piece of the corm? I would think breaking most of it off wouldn't hurt the lily, provided that there are good roots on it? They kept a fairly long section of it, where as with a hardy, I normally break all but about 3" off. What does it provide for the lily? I was thinking about how they laid it in there, with the rock on top, then I get what you were saying about going back and breaking it off. That's what I don't know. Why not just break most of it off to start with? I also saw another tutorial where someone was repotting a mature tropical, and I didn't see any corm at all. Just roots.

I am going to try to get this re potted this Sunday afternoon, so it doesn't have to deal with the heat of the day, and can rest at night before the next day.

Thanks!

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:51:12 AM »
I've cut off the "dead" section of an overgrown tropical corm before like you are suggesting & the lily did fine.  But in this case I'm going to defer to what is posted at Vic & what they have to say because you are worried about loosing the lily if you mess with it.  Mine, I had spares just in case it didn't work out.  In the end you are going to decide what you are most comfortable with.

Kat

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 04:36:33 AM »
True Kat. I think I will leave a fair amount on it. Thanks!

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 05:10:32 AM »
Here's another tutorial, from our local pond store.
http://nelsonwatergardens.com/how-to-repot-your-tropical-waterlily/

Don't wait too long to do this....Two years ago I repotted in July, having been told that you could do it any time of year.  Well, here in HOT Houston, that was a mistake.  The lilies did live, but not a one of them ever bloomed the rest of the year. 

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:42:58 AM »
Well, with much anxiety, it's done. I did not find a big mass of the corm, in fact, it was about 4" long, and running horizontal behind the crown, which was in perfect condition. I didn't mess with it too much, but I did go up a size to the larger dishpan, mostly because the roots were HUGE- like baby carrot size-not a mass of little root, but there were small ones only on the very bottom of the pan.

Something interesting though. I started to wrap the pond tablets last year, in a single layer from a paper towel, because I though it would keep the white film off the top of the pads- and it has, but there were about 6 of them, still wrapped, and big roots clinging to them. The tablets were still intact, and soft, so if you consider that I give it a tab about every 2 weeks, it has not consumed a lot of them in the recent past. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it has never not had an open bloom, and has always had at least 4 coming up. Maybe it was because of the cooler weather, or because I never stopped feeding it through the winter, since the pond was heated. I removed all of them, and only replaced 2 tabs.

Here it is, and I had to prop up the open bloom today....there are a few buds that I hope will make it. One was kind of laying over, but has perked back up, but the larger one has not....

And a beautiful lemon mist today, and I am so excited, there are 6 more on the way. That one lemon mist is now five separate lilies, and all but one have two blooms on them. Last year, the blooms were few and far between.

And a shot of the whole pond today;

Now, we wait to see if it will be the same excellent bloomer that it was....I hope so.

Have a great Mother's Day all. Thanks to all who contributed to this topic!

I'm cracking a beer!  lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 01:51:34 PM »
That Lemon Mist is one gorgeous lily... 8)

And "heck yeah"! to crackin' a beer--you deserve it after all that hard work and keeping your pond so clean in the process.  I can't do it and for the life of me I don't know how anyone can!!   O0

Happy Mom's Day!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 03:36:15 PM »
That Lemon Mist is one gorgeous lily... 8)

And "heck yeah"! to crackin' a beer--you deserve it after all that hard work and keeping your pond so clean in the process.  I can't do it and for the life of me I don't know how anyone can!!   O0

Happy Mom's Day!

LOL Kittyzee, Bacteria/enzymes and Accuclear, NO ALGAE control chemicals, at all. That's how I do it. I do have a filter, and 2 aeration stones in it too, as the good bacteria like oxygen, or so I read...so a teaspoon of each, once a week. Trouble free.  O0 (so far anyway.) But I am going with a lot less pads this year, as the lemon mist seems to like it better that way, since it's blooming so much more.  O0 Time will tell....

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
Those are surely beautiful palms at the end of your beautiful pond. What is the
name of that variety?

Marie Fisher

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 08:56:54 AM »
hi Marie, those are actually Areca's, but they are root bound, and they need more water.  ;) They should be darker green, and if/when I repot them, and it rains more, they will get darker green....thankfully, they are hard to kill.  lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"