Author Topic: Critter in the greenhouse pond  (Read 1714 times)

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Critter in the greenhouse pond
« on: February 20, 2007, 02:11:41 PM »
I went out to check the tropical waterlilies in the greenhouse pond this afternoon. I pulled up a pot and saw the tuber move..well it wasn't the tuber it was some creature under the tuber moving. I got a quick impression of something sand colored with gray stripes, rough texture, squarish shape about an inch long as it slithered quickly over my hand and into the mud of another pot. THAT ended my excursion into lily checking and I won't be going back out there until someone with a net goes with me. Yeah, I know it was only an inch long but I don't know what that thing is. Could it have come in on a tropical lily last summer? It buried itself in the mud. I can deal with creepy critters as long as I know they're there and what they are. Slithering things surprising me is NOT acceptable.
Kay (the pond coward)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Critter in the greenhouse pond
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »
Ummm, sounds like some kind of leach . . . but the good thing is that most of them eat plant material, dead and decaying stuff. 

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »
Was it a leech???

Kim
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 09:35:32 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 03:51:22 PM »
Not a clue but I'm not sticking my hand back in there without gloves or something to whack it with if necessary..leeches..ewww..that gives me the willies just thinking about it. I had to put leeches on a patients wound once but they were little and black..and I had forceps..

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 03:58:04 PM »
Teresa and I must have been posting at the same time...

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 06:25:01 PM »
Now THAT would be freaky. I have heard of putting leches on wounds, and now I know someone who has done it, BUT still won't put her hand in the pond.  :)
I use leaches to fish with but probably somewhat different.
I can't wait to hear what it is.

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 06:54:45 PM »
Did y'all see the show on TV the other night about teenagers leeching? How disgusting.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 07:08:56 PM »
 ;D Steve....There were 3 other nurses on the floor and they flatly refused. I was younger and more adventurous in those days ;) I'm old and cautious now :)
GaJen, teenagers leeching?? ..to what purpose?  Do I want to know??
Steve, you fish with leeches??? They sell leeches for bait?..that's unreal!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:08:49 AM by Kay »

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 04:06:56 AM »
Mystery critter revealed. It was a dragonfly nymph. I didn't see the feet because of the mud I guess. Well I'm embarrassed  :redface: I'm just glad it wasn't a leech..

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:59:23 AM »
I think you might be safer with a leech. I've heard that those dragonfly nymphs bite something fierce.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 08:44:02 AM »
Way cool. I have been holding my breath threw this whole thread afraid you were going to say a baby snake. That's the only thing I can't handle. Well I hate the leeches but they don't freek me. There was a giant beetle on my filter mat the other day when I pulled it out. It was bigger than my thumb but he jumped and got Neomied threw the pump I guess.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
Esther, I didn't know that..ok, back to wearing gloves ..While I was searching for pictures it did say they can and do eat fry up to an inch or two.
Happy, we do have garter snakes but I think their nest is under the deck. I'm ok with snakes, small snakes :)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
 I'm not even OK with them! One time when I was pulling a bail of hay from the stack a huge ball of them popped out from between the bails and rolled down my front side. DH thought for sure he would have to call 911 from me having a heart attack. We have rattlers here so I'm extra careful now. I would think down there you would have all kinds of nasties?
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"