Author Topic: Lily Stems Damaged  (Read 994 times)

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Lily Stems Damaged
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:40 PM »
I was very excited that my Colorata and Green Smoke lilies were blooming.  Day 1 for Colorata and Day 2 for Green Smoke.

So yesterday I went outside to look at them, and both had tall stems above the water, but both flower heads were bent down and the flowers face down on the surface of the water.  It looked like a giant had come into the yard and rolled the stems between his fingers, just below the lily heads, squishing them.

Lindsey Woods was also blooming, Day 1, and no damage.

Any ideas?  I had fertilized the day before, but I can't imagine that causing the stems to collapse.  Is there any other sort of malady that could cause that?  Or do I have to worry about vandals getting into my locked yard?

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Lily Stems Damaged
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:40:33 PM »
Hope not a vandal. I can't   even  begin to think of what might be.  Are stems weak looking for
any reason?  That bloom so large, stem gave under the weight.  I had similar problem with stems,
my problem was turtle, just snapped stem off close to crown, let it float off.  Turtle is gone, thankfully.

Marie Fisher

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:44:17 AM »
Can you post pics?

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »
If it happens again, I'll get pics.   

The heads are small and light - little sun, so the flowers are somewhat stunted.  A turtle would have bitten them, not squeezed the stems just below the head.  Earlier this year, all boomed perfectly.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"