Author Topic: I have a turtle! Not sure whether to woohoo or not..... ID?????  (Read 1269 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
It is very shy and soon as I open the door to go out it dives from the rock into the pond.  I was able to get this picture of it from my window so its not very clear.  It appears to be black with yellow on its head, .  but mostly black.  I have been afriad to get into my pond to clean out my lilies.. do they bite??  I am wondering if it is a tarpan that has gotten in there and either cant get out or likes it there.. any info appreciated. OH and the rock it is  sunning on is the rock directly under my waterfall for splash effect so I am keeping my waterfall off till I find out what I Need to do.. would hate to drowned it if this is its only way out of the water.

Tink
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:43:19 PM by tinkster »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I have a turtle! Not sure whether to woohoo or not..... ID?????
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 01:58:59 PM »
It's a slider, probably yellow ear.  If they are anything like red ear sliders they bite when approach suddenly.  Big chunks of your skin if they get it right.  It should be able to find a good spot somewhere else to sun so you can run your waterfall.  They need water to eat their food.  And yes they love fish food pellets.

Just be careful and keep your eye on it while you dig for lilies.  It will be very shy.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »
thanks!  Was doing a search and seems they arent winter hardy in my area.  This is not a small turtle..wonder how it lived so long or if its been someones pet that got lose and found my pond?

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:50:20 PM »
Thats a good question Tink. I have a map turtle ( was told that was kind he is) . He is in a kiddy pop up pond and has been since April. There is sweet flag water iris and pickeral in his pond no lilies. And only gambusi fish. He has never got out. I did not plan on a turtle but my daughter asked me to take it last Aug. So far he has not been a problem but has grown fast. He is fed good and eats frogsbit and azolla beside turtle and fish food. A frog goes in and out of his pond. I take him inside for the winter.

Offline turtlemike

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 10:29:17 AM »

Yellow belly slider probably. Not native to here, more southern but aparently it is winter hardy here because that turtle is a few years old. Maybe it was big when it excaped. Someone gave me one but it hasn't gone through a winter here yet.

They are not mean and won't bite unless you stick your fingers in its face and it is scared. There are allways mean individuals. A few RES are mean but most are sweethearts.

You should visit next year Tink. Lots of new stuff to see.

Offline dperry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:44:37 PM »
That's a pretty fuzzy picture, but my guess is that it's a painted turtle, specifically (or that should be subspecifically), a Midland Painted Turtle, Chrysemys picta marginata.   In the United States, we commonly refer to all Chelonia as "turtles".  In other parts of the English-speaking world, turtles are found in the sea, terrapins are found in fresh water and tortoises are found on land.  What you have there is a terrapin, or freshwater "turtle".   He (or she) will live quite nicely in your pond but, unless you have some sort of surround to keep it in, will likely eventually wander off.  By the way, if you can get close enough to see its front claws, the male is identified by its especially long claws, while the female short claws. Other methods of establishing sex are too up close and personal to be of value to you. 

It might be another species, but it generally looks like a painted turtle, especially with those prominent yellow stripes on the head and neck.  If it is, indeed, a midland painted, the stripes on the legs are usually a slight orange-red in color.  Yellow-bellied Slider's range does not include Kentucky and the yellow near the eye is stripe-like rather than the large blotch found behind the eye of the slider.

My pond was built to house the turtles I had in classroom for many years.  I have Western Painted, Midland Painted and Red-eared Sliders residential in my pond here in northern Illinois.

Don Perry
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:54:16 PM by dperry »
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:07:14 PM »
Thanks yall!

I had forgotten about posting this..  After looking at photos  of the painted turtle.. I believe thats what it is to.  I just seen him in the pond last week, he/she has been there all summer now so either cant get out or doesnt wanna get out yet.

TMIKE..... got something to tell ya.. whens a good time to phone?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"