Author Topic: Cutting back the lilies  (Read 1213 times)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cutting back the lilies
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »
It has been a nice summer and fall.  More rain than last year and not as many 100* plus days.

Weather forcast is a low of 25* Saturday morning.  After three days in a row of 80* plus temps, I decided to cut back the lilies for winter.  I had two blooms,  a colorado and an unknown tropical.

I found several 'nuts' under my two tropicals and hopefully, I can get at least a couple of each to survive the winter.  I need to get some more pellon at WalMart in the morning.

{:-P;;  Hurry up spring.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting back the lilies
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
Sue

I am down here on the gulf coast. We expect 40's next week. After I read your post I went outside and still have major tropical blooms.  I need a break from weekly pruning. It's been a nice growing season but with the weather changing and the time changing things are sure to begin to slow down.  :) What do you use the pellon for?

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:56:21 PM »
One method of storing tropicals is to wrap the croms(nuts) in pellon dampened with pellon and place in a zip lock bag and place in s cool dark place for the winter.  I usually check on them in January and toss anything that is moldy and moisten the pellon if needed.  About mid April, I place them in a warm aqurium to sprout for the summer.

You never have to remove your tropicals do you?

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:14:47 PM »
No

In the spring when I am fertilizing or repotting I usually have a pot with water and toss them into that pot. I keep the water shallow in that pot and pot up the ones that sprout sometimes there are too many.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:38:33 AM »
I trimmed my hardies back two weekends ago. They were pretty well done and pads dieing and the water was getting too cold so had to get it done. Perry's Orange Sunset was the only one still trying to bloom. Crazy thing.
I had a really good lily year. Made a HUGE difference to repot most everything last fall into large dishpans from the oil drain pans. I repotted a few remaining lilies into dishpans back in September. Plants all did very well this year and some lilies that hardly ever bloomed for me did very will this year.

Sue......Pellon? As in interfacing for sewing?
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"