Author Topic: Winter has me thinking of spring.  (Read 1846 times)

Offline howardTheHumble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
Winter has me thinking of spring.
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:57:57 AM »
The weather has me thinking about the ponds I want to build.  I will continue digging through the old posts here looking for good ideas.

Here are two that worked for me.

I have used a submerged ridge in a flat pond that allowed me to drain one side of a pond after moving the plants and chasing the fish over to the other side.  Once the water was gone I let the sun bake the left over solids and swept them out with a broom and shovel.  Much easier then running a pond vac.   It should also get rid of most if not all of the dragon fly larvae that feed on young fish.

A koi pond can double as a settling pond.
My last real koi pond was about 5 feet and shaped much like a steep walled bathroom sink on the bottom.   The 4" bottom drain never got connected to a filter.  The drain pipe was capped off on the down hill side of the pond about 6" below water level.   Once A week I pulled the friction fit cap off the drain pipe and let it flow till the water ran clear.    It worked very well.  Note that I always feed the koi at the surface while using the drain as the water, for lack of a better word, gushed out once it got moving. I am thinking about the possibility of using a 2nd pipe about 1 or 1 1/2 feet up from the bottom to feed clean water to the pump(s) on the new setup.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Winter has me thinking of spring.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:20:03 AM »
Winter is a great time to plan.  I've been thinking about the coming spring and summer also. 

Do I want to down size or not?

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
One of my goals is ease of maintenance.   I want to be able to leave for a week or two at a time so filters that require much work to clean are a no no. 

My question to you is if you want less ponds or less pond work? 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:12:24 AM »
One of my goals is ease of maintenance.   I want to be able to leave for a week or two at a time so filters that require much work to clean are a no no. 

I feel ya!  That is a primary goal for me too.  I gave away my big koi, they were getting too big for pond, but I so miss their personalities which I could never train the goldies and fancies to behave.  So maybe if I can find some good sales on small or baby koi I will do it again.  But the large koi were also getting too big for the filtration system in the pond.  I so do not like having to clean out the bio filter.  Upside of that is my garden loves it.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
howard, I had trouble with my back/hip all last summer.  I'm thinking less physical labor without having less blooms.  My tanks for the most part are unfiltered...just air.  Hubby says he will help more to not get rid of my plants.

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:34:21 PM »
howard, I had trouble with my back/hip all last summer.  I'm thinking less physical labor without having less blooms.  My tanks for the most part are unfiltered...just air.  Hubby says he will help more to not get rid of my plants.

Cool I picked up a little kabota and towable backhoe this fall.   Maybe we could put together an inground pond with a bog filter.  Not pushing but the offer is there.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 02:36:01 AM »
Thanks for the offer howard, but I really have no desire for an inground pond.  The back doctor says no stooping or bending.  I am absolulitely pain free at this time, and I am not tempting fate.

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 09:44:11 AM »
Your the boss :) and I hope you continue to improve.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"