Author Topic: Filtration via Bug  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Pond Princess

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 04/04/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Filtration via Bug
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »
Hello,

I am a new member to this site. I recently read about "God Bugs" in the Bog Garden forum. I read through the old posts hoping for information on where to purchase these incredible creatures but unfortunately the majority of the links were dead and my google searches did not produce anything. :(

Other names for these creatures are Isopod crustation, Asellus Aquaticus and Water Slater. Can anyone help me find a source for these "bugs"

Thank you in advance,

Renee

Offline dperry

• Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
Re: Filtration via Bug
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:57:30 PM »
I've not heard of "God Bugs", but I know Asellus well.  It is an aquatic crustacean related to the common land crustaceans known as sow bugs and pill bugs.  They are aquatic Isopods (Phylum: Arthropoda Class: Crustacea  Order: Isopoda).   Commonly they are referred to as scuds.  They are very common in lakes, streams and ponds.  Using a fine net, they can be collected in the wild in bottom detritus by drawing the net along the bottom, putting the collected detritus in a white-bottomed container, adding a little water and picking them out of the shallow water.  They are small, but can be seen crawling about the bottom.  The collected specimens can then be cultured.  You can buy live cultures from biological supply houses.  Here is a link to one of them (Carolina Biological):

http://www.carolina.com/catalog/search-results.jsp;jsessionid=BDB4410F95D5CCD22BC2B4BDBC97D436.stageworker3?_dyncharset=UTF-8&question=asellus&_D%3Aquestion=+&questionSaved=&%2Fatg%2Fuserprofiling%2FProfile.searchTabSelection=Products&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fuserprofiling%2FProfile.searchTabSelection=+&%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.search=Search&_D%3A%2Fatg%2Fcommerce%2Fsearch%2Fcatalog%2FQueryFormHandler.search=+&searchExecByFormSubmit=true&_DARGS=%2Fincludes%2Fgadgets%2Fheader-search.jsp.mainSearchForm
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline Pond Princess

• Members
  • With us since: 04/04/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Filtration via Bug
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:04:51 AM »
Thank you very much for the information and for the link Don! I'm considering adding some filter media and ascellus to the top portion of my bog/waterfall. I am willing to try anything that assists with the natural biological filtration system without affecting any of my pond inhabitants. Have a great day! :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"