Author Topic: Matala Filter Medium  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Jane C

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Matala Filter Medium
« on: May 04, 2013, 01:11:47 PM »
Hi all,
I've been on this forum many moons ago (I think my user name back there was Jane S) and it's great to recognize several member names. My 2500 gal pond with beautiful large koi and goldfish has been up and running since 2000 with no problems (other then the occasional egret  >:(). My present filtration (hasn't changed for the last 10 years) and consists of lingerie bags filled with dollar store scrubbies, filter material sold in pond stores, waxing machine pads and fiber floss sewn into net-like cases in a 250 gal trough.  I recently came across the filter medium, Matala and it appears to be a great way to go, light, easy  to clean and efficient.  I did a search here and didn't seem to see any negative remarks concerning Matala? Is there anything more, pro or con, that I should know about the product?
I also saw a member that is selling it, Joes Ponds.  His prices seemed very competitive.
Thanks for any info you can provide me.

"Nothing can be finer then a pond in Carolina......"[/[/i]font]

Offline dperry

• Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
Re: Matala Filter Medium
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 07:23:09 PM »
I use it in 3 different densities.  It is sturdy and easy to clean. Provides considerable surface area for bacterial growth.  I get mine from Foster and Smith.  I wouldn't use anything else.

Don Perry
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline Jane C

• Members
  • With us since: 02/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Matala Filter Medium
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:30:39 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  I saw it in a local nursery the other day and thought it was a great idea to replace the bags of scrubbies.  After 10 years the lingerie bags are getting a bit tattered and torn and it's so hard to clean them, even with a pressure washer. I checked the prices at drsfostersmith and thought the prices were better then most and I've had only good experiences with them.

"Nothing could be finer then a pond in Carolina..........."

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"