Author Topic: Deals at Costco  (Read 1010 times)

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Deals at Costco
« on: February 09, 2007, 02:01:14 PM »
I just bought 18 Oriental Hybrid Lily bulbs 9 'Bahia Blanca' (white) and 9 'Expression' (pink) for $10.99. As they $3-$6 for a single bulb this is a great price. They had a lot of packaged summer bulbs and perennials for that price.

Some had more bulbs than others but all were a good deal.

They had Dicentra 'King of Hearts' which I see going for $10 in a 4" pot and I think there were 4 in the bag. I woud have bought them but I didn't need 4.

They also had a red or black ceramic pot with 2 Phaelenopsis orchids and 1 Neoregilea (sp) Bromeliad for only $15.99. The orchids were all multi spiked.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Deals at Costco
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 02:23:13 PM »
:o*GASP!!!!* :o
You are buying from a big box store....OMG!!!! It's the end of the world! ;)

Anyway...back to reality...getting a grip.... :-)~

Good for you LeeAnne!
Smart to grab a bargain when you see one!
Maybe we'll head out to Costco tomorrow after my morning apt.
Thanks for the heads up! :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 06:08:55 PM »
 :D

I don't shop at Wal*Mart,   >:(  but I do shop Home Depot and Costco and I don't really care if the lilies are true to name as long as they are Orientals.....I only care about the fragrance, not the color. If I cared about the variety and wanted to be sure I'd go to Portland Nursery or Shorty's in Vancouver. I know the Jackson & Perkins roses they had at Costco are all truly named. They are very reputable.

I bought a greenish/yellow mini Phael for Bob's birthday in November at Trader Joe's. It is still blooming. Since I was a florist in a grocery store for many years, I don't have a problem buying plants at them. I know a good one from a diseased or infested one and I know most of the growers that they come from too and what the wholesale prices are.

I generally do support my local independants but I grabbed a 4" Jasminum sambac the other day at Quality Food Center for $4.99 for my greenhouse......

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Joyce

• Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:24:08 PM »
I found the most beautiful double blooming form of French Blue Lilac at Costco about 5 years ago. It was just a small rooted twig for $4.99, but as of last year, it has started blooming. It is a pale 'light blue' which I consider more of a pale lavender, but still, each floret is doubled, like one bloom cupped inside the other...and the effect of each cluster is amazing.

My friend JL has another double Lilac fro Costco, and his is DEEP periwinkle.
He gave me a rooted sucker last year, about 18" tall. Can't wait til it starts blooming!

I'm definitely going to Costco tomorrow! O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 06:59:08 PM »
I forgot to mention the new Sunset Western Garden Guide. Of course, many of you won't find it relevant but for us out West it is the gardening bible. I hadn't bought an updated one in several years. Wow, this one is amazing. Such an upgrade from the one used in my horticulture class in high school. That one had about 3000 plants, this one has 8000 and is all color.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline azreno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Mesa, AZ
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 06:21:43 AM »
The new Sunset is all color!? Very cool, that'll have to be on my must have list. the one I have has 6k plants but only the front selection guides are in color, the rest is all line drawings.

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
Yes, all color but some are still drawings. Not all color photos. However, there are color photos mixed in and the sections at the front are much bigger too.

Funny, when I was reading it the other night I was looking at zone 13 as much as 6 LOL

My high school hort class used the Sunset guide as a text book. There were so few zone 13 plants back then. (1979-81)
I had them all memorized. There are so many more choices now.
~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Offline azreno

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Mesa, AZ
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 12:23:14 PM »
LOL Yes, many more choices now. And once you have microclimates established it's pretty easy to escape even zone 13. Although when part of your microclimate depended on a huge rubber tree that seems to de completely defoliated.....that's a bit of a problem. Now stop checking out all the zone 13 plants! LOL

Offline LeeAnne151

• Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Lynn, I can't help it. :) They are like old friends. Except all the new ones I don't know. LOL There were so few choices back when I worked at a garden center in Phoenix. I had the entire nursery memorized. The HP Plants For Dry Climates book too, which I still have and is dog earred to almost falling apart.

~LeeAnne~

Robert A. Heinlein

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"