Author Topic: Sphinx moths at the pond  (Read 780 times)

Offline dperry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/10/2012
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Don's Pond
Sphinx moths at the pond
« on: August 29, 2013, 07:20:12 AM »
I video-recorded several sphinx moths, also called hawk moths and hummingbird moths, two days ago at my pond.  At the end of the video portion are some still that my wife took.  These interesting insects are often mistaken for hummingbirds.  At the end of the video one of the moths gets eaten by a frog, much to my surprise.  I  didn't even see the frog as I concentrated on the moths.

http://youtu.be/T_lDT3o1MLw

Don Perry
Don Perry  http://youtube.com/dperry428
Retired science teacher
BS, MS, Biological Science, NIU
Northern Illinois
Zone 5a

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Sphinx moths at the pond
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 01:06:37 PM »
That's great video! Did you know that those moths are from the caterpillar that you find on your tomato plants~the green horn tomato worm? I don't kill them anymore, I remove the stem that they are on and lay it in the pasture.  Of course if the worm is covered in little white eggs from the parasitic wasp, I don't have to worry anyway.  The bodies of those moths are so big, it's easy to think people mistake them for hummingbirds. Thanks for sharing Don.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Sphinx moths at the pond
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:58:03 AM »
I have way too many of these moths in my garden this year....caterpillars are all over my tomatoes... they make a hardy meal for my turtles though!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"