Author Topic: Sew, I need your help......Esther and others that Sew (pics added)  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I didn't have this problem when I made two other quilts.  My thread is fraying out at the needle and breaking  :swear:.  Thought maybe it was the needle, and changed that  >:(-.  That didn't help.  I'm about to  :blowup:, and chuck the whole thing.  You think maybe the thread could be bad?  The stitches look fine, top and bottom.  I'm just getting aggravated at it. 

I didn't think of it until now, to change thread and mess around on some scrap material :doh:.  Maybe it just helped to get away and type this and it made me think.  I will be upset if it is the thread.  I've gotten alot done, although I've had to re-thread the needle on each cat that I have done.

Kim
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 08:31:36 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Sew, I need your help......Esther and others that Sew
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 06:21:02 PM »
Kim,
  My guesses are bad thread or the tensions on your machine. I have had this happen at times and it was usually from either a dull needle or bad spool of thread. I did find one time that there was some tiny peices of thread around my bobbin case which made the thread be goofy but that only happened once. Hope you figure it out.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:31:50 PM »
I have 5 quilts that were hand stitched. sometime I'll have to post a pic. My aunt used to teach quilting and when she died, she gave me one that she had finished. I only use it for a short time each summer. She also made one for my son when he was born.
My neighbor lady makes quilts and have 3 of hers. (Actually now that I think on it, they are sewn with a machine.)
Very old fashioned but beautiful. One on each of our beds.

All I can say is that you have a lot more patience than I ever will.
I always appreciate quality O0

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 06:52:36 PM »
Out of my league.......me no sew.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:30:40 PM »
Just a look of more of the squares laid out.  Still haven't decided to just do a block/checkerboard, or something creative in between.  I haven't even bought the material for the strips/squares yet.  I'll lay it back out in the floor tomorrow and mess with it a bit and try to make up my mind.  I only have 5 more cats to do.   Personally I would rather it be softer colors MIL likes bright...lol

:thinking:  Kim

Offline emm

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/08/2006
    • View Profile
Re: Sew, I need your help......Esther and others that Sew (pics added)
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:09:39 AM »
That is going to be a really pretty quilt Kim.  The cats are very cute.  Hope you've sorted out your thread problem by now.  Any thoughts I may have had on the subject have already been suggested.  I find that cheap thread breaks continually in my machine but if it worked fine at the beginning that shouldn't be the problem.  I once had a spool that had a tiny, tiny little nick on it that kept catching the thread and breaking it.  It was extremely frustrating until I noticed what the problem was.  emm

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 07:53:25 AM »
My eyes say to use the blue of the heart for your connecting pieces. By the way, thread must not be stored in the light, especially in the sun. So stuff it in the drawers. Obviously the sun weakens the thread. At times there can be a snag inside the bobbin area that catches the thread and pulls it or makes it not always sew correctly  in the tension area. If you are experiencing this stuff, your machine may need cleaning or repair.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 01:13:13 PM »
I love the kitty quilt.

My thread kept breaking and I thought it was my machine - again.  When I went to pull the thread off, it broke in my hands and it was a name brand, new spool.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 01:49:04 PM »
I'm on a different part of it, and using a different thread and I'm not having any more problems.  I went ahead and bought some more of the blue in a smaller spool that was the same color.  I was afraid to buy another just like what I had, thinking it might have came off the same line that day.  I haven't tried it yet, but so far so good with the apriocot.

Kim

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 07:13:42 AM »
Kim, since Walmart is dropping their fabric section, where are you getting your fabric?  The closet one for me now is the fabric store at Indian Trail.

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
I go to Hancocks Fabrics alot here lately, but I do go to Walmart in Valley alot.

I just looked I didn't realize you were from here, or are you the one out by Mt. Washington???  Or something like that.  (I had forgot, sorry  :redface:).......that's cool. 

We might have to be like the others and meet someday for lunch.....

Kim
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:28:13 PM by Ky Kim »

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 01:22:29 PM »
Are all Wal-Marts dropping their fabric dep. or just the one by you gals?
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Ky Kim

• Members
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »
Oh, I hope not Cath....I would be lost without that section.  The one by our house is always busy.

Kim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"