Author Topic: Here was my pond last July  (Read 2414 times)

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Here was my pond last July
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:41:51 PM »
We had just put in the little pond. The water does not flow under the bridge to the bigger side.

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
Re: Here was my pond last July
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 05:16:32 PM »
Very pretty....I love that ajuga! O0 O0 O0
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 06:07:05 PM »
First Miley's photo, now yours. Man, I gotta get a bridge!
Very nice Esther

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 06:09:27 PM »
I'm glad you posted your pond Esther it is lovely and I've missed seeing it.

Offline froggerLee

• Members
  • With us since: 24/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:11:10 PM »
Your pond looks great. I really love the bridge, always did have something for them!
Lee

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 06:26:42 PM »
Whoa is me  :'(, I miss the warm season  :'( .  Miss seeing your pond  :'( , other's ponds   :'( and my pond  :'( . 

I'm glad you posted that, looks great.  I like the bridge too, I've always liked your pond.   ;)

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
Very nice Esther.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:27:08 PM »
I love it!  I am hoping the aguja you sent me will be that pretty this year.  I so love it!

tinkster

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
I love the way you designed your pond, very clever. O0
I'm not familiar with the aguja, but love the color, might have to try some.

Karen

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 05:25:32 AM »
Thanks for the nice words folks. Karen, give me a yell this spring/summer and I'll send you some. There are several versions of Ajuga and mine has low growing marooney/dark green foliage. The flower stalks are deep blue and last for quite a while late June/early mid July here. It is a ground cover and sends out little runners that put down roots wherever they land. If it is happy, it is almost invasive. It is very hardy. Mine just loves it besides the pond but it will survive almost anywhere.

Actually that bridge is really a boardwalk as the ponds are not connected. We had built three decks and had leftover material so DH got busy edging the main pond on the south end. We needed to cover the skimmer/filter.  So when we put in the little mini lily pond, we did the same thing. We cut away a couple of boards and put the skimmer/filter under it.

The real bridge isn't much visable. It is behind the little fishing boy on the right. There is a window well there for egress to the family room. I kept having to jump over the hole and was sure I would fall in some day. So Dh build that little arched bridge over it. It is light enough and not attached so we can pick it up if someone is going to stay over
night in that room.

Actually there wasn't much designing involved. We were restricted on the west by the underground sprinkling, on the south by the front walk and porch, on the east by the house and the north by the tree. The pond just kinda grew as we worked on it.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 07:17:56 AM by Esther »

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 06:13:55 AM »
Yes, Esther, I would love a start!  Even if it is invasive, I have plenty of spaces around the edge of the woods that I could get it started.  I'll be in touch with you later.

Karen

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 07:28:34 AM »
Esther, Wow so glad to see a big picture, hard to tell from the little one.  The ponds are really nice!  I love how you did the bridge, it really does look like it goes over  one pond not two separates, is it difficult to remove the boards and get at the skimmer?  My husband has always wanted a bridge, hopefuly I can incorporate one in the new lily pond for him.   Ooo and yes the aguja is sooooo pretty, do you know if it is a zone 4 hardy, I have lots of problems finding different plants that are cold hard to naturalize with. 
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 08:14:45 AM »
Oh Esther, Your ponds are beautiful. Ajuga, Almost impossiable to kill. Runs amuck quickly, one tiny speck of root left will sprout, beautiful bronz and green foilage, Lovely blue spike flowers. wouldn't give it up. I am letting that and creeping jenny take over the bank beside my pond.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 08:59:09 AM »
The boards that come out for the main pond were designed to be removeable because we knew we were hiding the skimmer/filter under the boardwalk from the beginning. But when we added the little pond, the boardwalk had been there a year or so and we just took the screws out and cut the boards in half because we didn't need a big opening. We reattached the permanent boards and then cut down the edges of the loose ones a smidgen so we could pick them up. We discovered that having the pump under the boardwalk cut down on the noise it made when it was in the open.

There were 2 x 6s underneath to support the boards and then attached the cross boards. The ones we knew would be removed to access the filter had a little piece of wood attached to the bottoms inside the 2 x 6s so they would stay in place. I don't have a picture of that specifically but I think you get the idea. 

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 09:15:55 AM »
Esther, I'm so impressed with you! You are a true DYIER. And so cleaver. Bath rooms, Ponds, what other handy work do you do?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

GAJen

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 01:57:32 PM »
Esther darling......my soil sucks around the pond as you know I've tried everything. What is something good to grow in pots for color?

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
I do what I can. I guess you could call me cheap. Somehow when we need something my brain goes, "How could we make that?" Notice I said, "we"? Dh is a Master Plumber so has worked construction for about 42 years. He also doesn't mind DIY so we make a good pair. One thing nice, if he has a problem with some construction thing, he just asks somebody at work the next day. Oh and it comes in handy that he is allowed to drive his plumbing truck all the time so we have access to all those tools too.

I grew up on a farm and though my family wasn't trained/educated at all, they also found ways to accomplish what we wanted and needed without having to put out big bucks. One of my earliest memories was of coming (walking) home from school and entering the "back room" and looking up to see my mother sitting in the attic with wires in one hand and a book about wiring from Sears in the other hand. She had discovered the brown stuff/insulation that coated the wires was all crackled and she was afraid the house would burn down. So she pulled the new wire through the walls with the old wire and she rewired the whole house. So see I come by it naturally.

Jen, I'm not one much to know about plants. What kind of soil do you have? Are you looking for perennials? I don't like putting bushes that drop leaves or flower petals by the pond. I have sand/sand/ and then more sand. I used the Ajuga because I had grown it about 25 years ago and when I pulled it up and threw it on the back of our property, it took off and was growing all over the place back there. So when I needed something to put by the pool, I just went back there and dug it up again. I use Impatiens/annuals a lot by the pond and in the back yard because it is shadey. Joyce is a good person to ask for suggestions.

Really DH does most of the hard work but you might be surprised at what I'll tackle.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 02:20:24 PM by Esther »

GAJen

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 04:45:14 PM »
The soil is mainly sand. We brought a mixture of soils in but nothing grew there much except tropicals. I've pulled up all elephant ears, and the umbrellas and filled it with pine straw. Thought about setting pots around because we did plant Barberry's which are doing well and put the umbrella back in the pond. It looks so plain ......

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 09:21:48 PM »
Our soil hesr is not good either. I amend all my soil where I plant with home grown compost and peat. I'm a firm beliver in amending. Then you can grow things tell it snows.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Pam B

• Members
  • Pam
  • With us since: 28/01/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 05:40:48 AM »
Esther and GaJen your ponds are beautiful. I also have sand, sand and more sand!! Can't wait for spring to "move" plants around.
Pam

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 06:21:50 AM »
At least with your pots, you can put good soil in there so stuff will grow. But then you have to be sure to keep them watered especially toward the end of summer as they might become root bound.

I don't have any problem with the sand as long as you keep water to it. Like I said, I grew up on a farm and was used to dealing with a nice loam.  When we moved her 36 years ago, I thought this sand wouldn't grow anything. Boy was I wrong and I love it. It is so easy to weed and dig. But if you want stuff to look good, you have to keep the water and fertilizer consistantly going to it.

We do also amend the soil from time to time. DH put a special mulcher blade on the lawn mower to chop up the clippings well so they will sift down through the grass and rot there without smothering the grass. I didn't like it one bit. Before we had used a bagger on the rider but he didn't like having to dump the bags. Turned out that mulcher didn't work like it was touted and he put the bagger back on. We do have underground sprinkling so maybe keeping things green is easier for us than some.

We do have a spot in the backyard in front of his storage building (toybox) that doesn't grow grass very well. But there are several maples shading it a lot. It just never gets sun and barely any light. It is way out back so we don't really care all that much.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2007, 01:04:11 PM »
I don't believe that I've ever saw that view of your pond before..
Looks just wonderful Esther! O0

Ajuga is alittle invasive but it's very easy to pull up and restart elsewhere.
It grows very easy for me which is the type of plant that I love!  I have it in areas where it gets little water and areas where it get it's feet wet and in both areas it grows just fine!

GAJen

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Maybe we should try it.

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:27 PM »
Don't forget, give me a hollar.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"