Author Topic: Fungus and rot on new seedlings.  (Read 2015 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
Fungus and rot on new seedlings.
« on: March 04, 2007, 07:19:57 AM »
I posted this as a reply to one of Sean's posts, but thought i would bring it to the top for more discussion:

In one of my seedling tanks, i noticed that almost overnight, pads were rotting from fungus. of course i panicked, too much time and money goes into this extravagant hobby of mine. i picked all pads that were bad and introduced a small amount of fungicide into the water and have been spraying the pads with a light solution of the same.
it seems to have stopped for now but some of the pads are slightly distorted, not sure why.  the other tanks are fine. hopefully i can get them all out into the greenhouse next month.

I would appreciate any help i can get on this problem. last year i lost a batch of seedlings in only a few days to the rot.

lou

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Fungus and rot on new seedlings.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 12:19:20 PM »
I have to cringe a bit here as I ask....what fungicide are you using?  It might not only be solving your problem, but distorting your pads.

Are the tanks covered?
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:59:08 PM »
I have to cringe a bit here as I ask....what fungicide are you using?  It might not only be solving your problem, but distorting your pads.

Are the tanks covered?

hello craig, thanks for answering. cringe no more.. :)

yes the tanks were covered, at least by 80% by a cover, i just removed them when you mentioned it. i have always had the covers on to hold in the heat. that in itself could cause a extreme moist environment

and the fungicide i am using is a very mild solution of a broad spectrum who's main ingredient is:

CHLOROTHALONIL

what are your thoughts.

lou

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:59:32 PM »
Lol....what we have here is known as an 'off label' use.

I think removing the cover will do as much to eliminate the problem as anything.  100% humidity and a no doubt constant drip provides fertile fungal feeding grounds.

I also don't think adding it to the water doing much to help.  Most fungicides need constant agitation to stay in solution,  the particular one you mentioned is designed more for a foliar uptake and there is a threshold for effectiveness, .  So if you are adding it to the water at a less than recommended concentration odds are greater that you are developing resistant fungi than that fungicide is actually doing any good.  If you have to use it again, mix it at the highest recommended concentration and thoroughly spray the pads, but I wouldn't suggest adding it to the water.

I would not be surprised if the constant exposure to even the low dose in the water caused the leaf deformities.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »
Lol....what we have here is known as an 'off label' use.

I think removing the cover will do as much to eliminate the problem as anything.  100% humidity and a no doubt constant drip provides fertile fungal feeding grounds.

I also don't think adding it to the water doing much to help.  Most fungicides need constant agitation to stay in solution,  the particular one you mentioned is designed more for a foliar uptake and there is a threshold for effectiveness, .  So if you are adding it to the water at a less than recommended concentration odds are greater that you are developing resistant fungi than that fungicide is actually doing any good.  If you have to use it again, mix it at the highest recommended concentration and thoroughly spray the pads, but I wouldn't suggest adding it to the water.

I would not be surprised if the constant exposure to even the low dose in the water caused the leaf deformities.

hi craig,
yes the constant drip, i am sure did not help things.

i will try  your recommendations, which make much sense.

i will keep you advised, thanks for the help.

lou

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"