Author Topic: Have LOTUS question, please  (Read 827 times)

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Have LOTUS question, please
« on: April 03, 2014, 10:11:16 PM »
I got my large pot of Mrs. Perry Slocum Lotus out on the pond yesterday, April 03, with the hopes of dividing it while it was still dormant.  I live in the coldest part of Zone 6 and just had 8" of snow last weekend.

When I cleared accumulated debris from the top of the pot, I found 4 small (1-2") green shoots coming up around the edge of the plant.  I am thinking that it is too late to try to divide this lotus.  Am I correct, or can I divide it.  It is really overgrown.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks RDR
Ruth

Offline lukealderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/05/2013
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Have LOTUS question, please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »
If it's severely overgrown, I'd think you'd be fine. Sure, a few growing points might get broken in the process but if it's that overgrown, you probably won't miss them. Up until this year, I would have probably been about as scared as you to divide said lotus.  But I just (2 weeks ago) divided two lotus that had been growing uninterrupted for about 5 years now and they had also started peeking up little unfurled leaves. It all went fine and I ended up just breaking a few growth tips. Even with those being broken, each lotus still yeilded about 30 tubers each.  Basically I took it slow, unwound the entire tuber mass into one long strand, and then made sure that each snip of the scissors left me with 4 or so unbroken growth tips per division. Hope this has helped! I think many people, including myself, think that lotus are a lot more fragile than they really are.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 05:52:50 AM »
I'm zone 6 also and I did the exact same thing earlier this week.  Mine was new last year and struggled to survive, so I decided to just hold off and see what happens this year with an established plant.

I also left it on the bottom of the tank for now.  We had frost again this morning.

Offline matherfish

• Trade Count: (75)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 06:23:59 AM »
Sue, that is a good idea to leave the plant in the pond for one more year. Your tubers will have grown more and be stronger.
Ruth, Luke is right. Lotus are tougher than people think. Just be careful not to break any more tips than possible, but you only have to have one growing tip per division for it to grow a new plant. Braking a few tips will not kill all of the plant's tubers. I have divided many plants with leaf shoots showing.
For more information go to my website www.matherfishpondplants.com and click on "about the plants" in the menu.
Happy ponding!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:14:05 PM by matherfish »

Offline rdrboone

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I will give a go.
Ruth
Ruth

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"