Author Topic: Is your door lock any good? This is scary.  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Is your door lock any good? This is scary.
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:23:31 PM »
Do check this out.  I was concerned, but our back patio doors are glass.  How hard would they be to break?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM>

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Is your door lock any good? This is scary.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:32:42 PM »
They had that on our local news the other day.  It is really scary.  But what got me is, they was not going to tell you how its done.  They showed it.  Just what we need for future fugitives to see that and learn. 

Kim
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 10:52:40 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:33:27 PM »
A friend sent me that video link just last week and I commented how I had just spent $150 getting the locks all keyed the same...  And those Medeco locks are pricey...

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:36:33 AM »
It is scary but should anyone come in uninvited they better be able to disable my dogs in 5 seconds or less. I don't think they could get them all before one of them got to them and they don't play around. I don't believe anyone around here is quick or dumb enough.

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 07:23:35 AM »
Several years ago I locked myself out of the house and DH was 3 hours away with the extra key... 
With a screwdriver I had no problem jarring my patio door open!
After that...... I have a bar inside to prevent that from ever happening again!
(And an extra key handy)

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 08:16:43 AM »
Me too Bonnie, but how hard is it to break the glass? I think a pro will get in, just use the defenses to keep dumb jerks out
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 08:32:54 AM »
Do any of you get 'It Takes A Thief' on cable? We do and that's certainly an enlightening show. But it will give you ideas for home safety that you may not have thought about........like NEVER leave ladders outside for a thief to use, or at least lock them to an immovable object. Scary to see that creeps have tons of ways to gain access to your home.
Our local station reported on key bumping, but they didn't show or tell how it works, just said there's such a thing and recommended you replace locks with the bump-free' ones.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »
From what I understood, there has to be special cuts made on the key that is inserted in the lock and the news clip didn't show how the cuts were made. My opinion is that if an experienced robber wants to get in most of our homes, he'll do it.

My X lifted the sideways sliding window that is in the bathroom up out of the track to gain entry to my home when all the doors were locked.

My son broke into our neighbors home at their request, the same way with their patio door when they couldn't get home to take care of the dogs. Both of those examples were a long time ago though and maybe stuff isn't made that way any more.

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »
My parents locked themselves out this past summer and it was a newer lock.  They walked over to their neighbor to use something from his garage.  Nino, said hand on.  Went and got a empty two liter out of the trash cut out a round scoop shaped triangle, and took it over and slid it right in no proble.  He said he saw that on a show.  He said with the newer knob locks a credit card is to think and the plastic off the two liter is thinner and boom, it worked.

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 09:48:01 AM »
Several years ago I noticed a lady had locked her keys inside her Dodge Caravan and she was quite distressed.  We also had a Dodge Caravan and I knew that often times the keys of one will fit another.  So I tried the key on the drivers side door with no luck.  I then tried opening the passenger side door with my key and it opened.....

Auto thieves often have a ring of shaved keys for various makes of cars which they use to steal cars.  I imagine the technique for the "bumping" keys are the same where they simply shave down the keys.....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 03:02:36 PM »
One of our tenants called the other day to say her house had been broken into. Well not exactly broken into. Someone had entered and made a mess going through stuff but only took the cash they found. She insisted she had locked the only door with a key lock and she has the only keys to that lock as her roommate just moved out and had given back the keys. They are good friends so the roommate isn't suspect. This sounds like it could have been how the robber gained entrance to the house. I won't tell her about it though. She's scared enough as it is. I just thought she forgot to actually lock it.

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »
Good Lord what will it be next. With Grandmother having Alzheimer's we have a deadbolt on the inside of the door to. That one can't be bumped unless your inside. Wait a minute......Shep may want to break out of here sometime.  @O@

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
They showed that on our news tonight . . . I don't usually watch, but wanted to see why there were 5 big fire trucks, two small ones, 3 paramedic trucks and ten cops about a mile down the street . . . seems two cars collided and one fell off the street and down into a gully that's about 100 feet deep . . . made a real mess of traffic . . .

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 11:48:36 PM »
Lock the door??

We lock it if we aren't home..but otherwise it's not locked.    Hubby however is very good at setting up alarms if we should ever be gone for a length of time.

Caught someone breaking into our rental house when they were out of the country for a few months..set it up with a motion sensor light without a light bulb..this had a plug socket in it that was wired to a hand held farm radio with the button taped down.  He had hispanic music playing loudly..so when the music came across all the other farm radios they knew someone had broke in... the 2 guys went to jail too.  Ended that rash of robberies up in our area.
Mary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"