Author Topic: I think my cat is depressed  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Loony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I think my cat is depressed
« on: March 01, 2007, 04:49:47 PM »
O.K., here's the background; our daughter and sil have been in the process of moving from Kentucky to Texas since Christmas. They have been pretty much living in a hotel while they house hunted and then waited to close on the house. We ended up keeping their cat for them until things were settled. The cat was here all summer when DD was home for her wedding too. Our cat,Maggie,took forever to warm up to Sybil and never really acted as if she liked her. They did chase each other through the house at night after we were in bed. We joked that Maggie didn't want us to know that she secretly liked Sybil. Anyway, we took Sybil back to her "mommy and daddy" two weeks ago. Now every night after we go to bed, Maggie goes all over the house crying. It is the strangest sounding meow. I swear she's looking for Sybil. I don't know what to do for this poor cat, and she is breaking my heart. DH asked her if she wants her own kitten. (He always talks to her like she can understand.) What do you all think? Is she depressed? Will she stop wandering around at night meowing soon?

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I think my cat is depressed
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 05:19:56 PM »
I would get another kitten. We had only 1 cat for years until our daughter found one and we gave it a home. It took them a while to get used to each other too but now they clean each other and sleep snuggled together. I think it's good for pets to have a 2nd one of their species around. I'm sure yours would warm up to a new one instantly since seh's been around your daughter's.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 05:45:17 PM »
I've had three cats that did that after a second house cat died.  One of them, Chowder, could open cupboard doors and every night, he HAD to open every cupboard door in the house looking for the missing cat (he outlived several cats and did this at least twice that I recall).  That cat is looking for it's bud and a kitten, if it fits your lifestyle, would be very good for her.

She'll fuss and stew about the kitten at first, but get along with it eventually.  Chowder used to his at the new kitten and then stomp off . . . but he'd turn around to see if the kitten was watching him as he flicked his tail . . . . if the kitten wasn't, he'd go back to the kitten and bop it on the head as if it had done something wrong . . . .

Offline froggerLee

• Members
  • With us since: 24/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 05:58:25 PM »
That does seem like a good excuse/reason to get a kitten!
Geeze, our one cat would probably be happy if every other cat in the house were gone!
Lee

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:35:56 PM »
Oh goody!  A  reason for another kitty!!  :clap:  I agree that it's good for cats to not be alone.  And I agree with Teresa that she'll fuss (because that's what cats do) but then they will bond and have their own special relationship.  It may not be the same as with Sybil, but it will fill a void in her life.  Make sure you take pictures and post them! 8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Bonnie

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:17:52 PM »
Loony, are sure that she's not coming in heat! {nono}

I've had animals that have went thru a grieving process after another animal has died so I do believe she's probably missing Sybil.

Offline Loony

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 04:44:20 AM »
Bonnie, she's spayed, so no heat. We have a dog too, and they are buddies, but Maggie seems to be missing Sybil. (So are we, she is the sweetest little cat.) I'll have to talk to DH about this. He's the one who never wants to discuss getting another animal. Strange that he would even jokingly bring it up....

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 05:08:44 AM »
Of course your kitty is missing her friend and not in heat.

When my Kleo died just last December, my cats 'moaned' for her for weeks.
Yes, they were looking for her too...and it sounded so pathetic.
And they would look at me like, "Where is she mom?" ?)(?

VERY good reason to get at least one other kitty. {:-P;;  o(:-) :D
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 05:35:06 AM »
I have a male cat who starts complaining at times at night early spring. He wants OUT and I don't want to let him out. He by the way has been fixed since he was old enough.

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 08:09:03 AM »
Get another kitten or cat.  They need buddies. I have 3.

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 08:19:59 AM »
I do agree that there is a love loss issue here, as with Joyce I lost my cat this fall and the other three did there share of looking, some more then others.  They did the same thing when we lost the dogs.  One has now taken up residence on the bed at night in the same place my dear Pandora slept.  Sounds like you also miss having 2 cats.  If you have the energy and love for another cat go for it,  Maggie will greive and in time adjust also if you don't replace Sybil with another cat.
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 10:51:19 AM »
Maybe Sybil could come back and DD could get a new cat?
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Loony

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 11:00:18 AM »
Leanne, I had to laugh about DD getting another cat. We kept telling them that Sybil should just stay with us because she was so happy here. When DD called the other day, DH wanted me to ask how "his" cat was doing. I think I might take everyone's advice and see if DH will agree to get a kitten. If it was up to me, we would have a house full of animals. Thanks everyone!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"