Author Topic: Do Yall ever feel overwhelmed with everything ya have to do........  (Read 2760 times)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Its almost ponding time and I cant wait to get out in my yard but it seems this year is gonna be pretty hectic, I am wondering if I will get to start even half of what I want to do.. I hate feeling this overwhelmed!

First Ebay is discontinuing the program I have used to list, track sales etc and replacing it with one that has such a huge learning curve I dont know that I will ever understand it let alone work with it... and that is to happen in april ... right when i need to be outside.

Second I have a small hernia that I need to have surgery on and have delayed that trying to get all the heavy work done outside so I dont injure myself again so that is gonna kill me for working this year...

third... the games on this arcade are killing me. I am spending way to much time on them!! I am addicted... can you kick me out of there sean or jerry :)

and fourth but most difficult is all the ideas I have in my head that I want to do. .plantings and etc and they just dont seem to come together like I want..

and I desperately need that patience you guys with seasoned gardens have I guess.. I want it all overnight .....

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Do Yall ever feel overwhelmed with everything ya have to do........
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:09:21 PM »
I hear ya Tink. I get very overwhelmed! There is just so much I want to do, but to much of what I have to do. Now that dh is unable to do much at all that leaves me to do all the yard wock and house work pluss job work. Yes I get very over whelmed. I make a list and then prioritize it. This year I'm putting ridding at the top. Last year I got on my mare once >:( :'( For the past 2 years I was totally wrapped up in getting the pond so so. It's still a work in progress but I'm going to try not to ubsess with it. A little here and there. I went into the games room once played a few times at a few games and got so pi**&^ off don't care to go back. I too have a need to get outside and get my hands dirty. I have long nails and I just don't ever have them from pond and garden work. I love the dirt. Patients? What's that. lol lol Your not alone out there! ;)
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 04:21:01 AM »
tinkster, I hate it when eBay changes their software. It does take a long time to relearn it. I don't use eBay much anymore, so any time I go to sell something, it's usually different enough that it takes forever!

I have a couple of beds that I can't get planned out satisfactorily in my head either. I will probably just put off the most challenging one another year.

Actually, focusing on starting or renovating just one or two beds (or ponds) a year helps keep me from getting too overwhelmed. I rotate every year, so I get to each of them eventually. I do a lot of moving plants around to get locations they like better, or to make the bed look nicer, and I always have perennials that need dividing, or bare spots where something hasn't done well and needs to be replaced.

Take care of your health!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 05:37:05 AM »
Overwhelmed by what you need to do or want to do? You have to decide what is more important. Sometimes you take more joy from doing what you want to do than what you have to do, so what you have to do is a chore and seems less important. So that may be the overwhelming part.

Obviously if this is causing such a problem for you, you will have to figure out what to cut out or put on the back burner and decide to live with it. Life gives us lots of things we wouldn't choose, so get used to it. Eventually things will change as the kids grow up and become more self sufficient.

Maybe you are taking responsibility for many things that others could do. Do DH and kids do their share of home jobs? One time when I was sick with strep, I gave my (they were maybe 16 & 11) two boys a grocery list and my debit card and was amazed at the good job they did.

Maybe your kids or DH could fix meals now and then and do the clean up, even if it was something simple like sandwiches. You are going to have to find ways to cut back on your stress because it sounds like your body is giving out already.

Maybe you have to change your attitude about what is important when it comes to housework. The meals don't have to be a 5 course meal each time. The house doesn't really need to be cleaned from top to bottom every week. Or what if each person was responsible to keep clean 1 or 2 rooms in the house instead of you doing it all?

My Dh doesn't cook but appreciates my cooking. Even though I'm retired, he cleans up from the supper meal every night. He says it is only fair and it's how he keeps his hands clean. If the dishwasher has been run, he empties it before I get up in the morning.

What if you have a family meeting and let the others know how stressed out you are and ask if they have any ideas about how you could be relieved of some of the stress? I remember making a list one time of all the stuff I did around the house and sharing it with my oldest. Your family just don't realize how much you do to keep their lives running smoothly.

Don't forget that as the children get older, they must be taught to take on the responsibilities of the home in order to prepare them to take care of themselves and their homes eventually.  Don't let them be one of those kids who go off to college and have no idea how to do laundry or cook. It doesn't matter if they are boys or girls. I had three boys and they all knew how to do it all. I made a step by step list of how to do laundry and framed it with a cheap black frame and hung it over the washer. They didn't have any excuse.

Anyway, hang in there Tinkster, some day this will all be a dim memory and you'll wish you had something to do. Just ask me how I know.

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 06:02:29 AM »
Gald to know I am not alone in this.. I figure its a big part of everyones life.. just seems other organise/ get it done better than me.. :)

Esther your suggestions sound wonderful and I think everywhere here should see them and learn from you.

My situation is unfortunately is probalby never gonna be that way.  My daughter is 18 but severly handicapped and requires total care 24/24 and that will never change.  I long for the nothing to do,  but  would probably hate that to if it ever did happen as I cant stand to not do anything.  Im never even am satisifed to just sit down and watch a movie.  I have to be on the computter or doing something while I do that. THe only place I am really happy just sitting is by the pond feeding the fish or just sitting there.. its such a relaxation for me!

But I sure could gain from having a list of priorities.  I start one job and run into something I cant physically or mentally figure out so I move on to another job  and nothing get really done and I keep making new projects.. thats gonna have to stop this year!

Thanks!

tinkster

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 06:18:14 AM »
I'm there too. I'm doing what Esther suggested. Set my priorities and ask for help. If it doesn't happen then I will cut back on things that overwhelm me. So far my DH is helping more and I have a bit more time to do what makes me happy, gardening, ponding, and my family.

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 07:07:53 AM »
I'm constantly overwhelmed, but I am getting better.   I sort of crashed and burned a little over a year ago.   Year before last, the horses got in the yard and destroyed all of my lilies.   I didn't re-pot any of them.   Last year, I never touched a lily.   I was overwhelmed with the number of animals that the rehabbers asked me to take.  They donated a lot of cages, thinking that would be a big help to me...but that meant more animals and more work with them.

Got sick last year and then ended up with a bleeding ulcer.   I lost one of my horses in a horrible accident last fall...very depressing. 

So now I am trying to just ease back into things.   I am potting lilies...have done 42 so far, and have barely scratched the surface.   I have less animals to take care of and my husband is helping me with the lilies....set up a potting table, carrying the soil and gravel for me.   I have a very bad right knee and can't walk as long as I used to.   Can't get in the pond.   Gave all my koi away.   But I feel better and I am enthused about getting my lilies potted. 

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 07:24:07 AM »
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but I am never overwhelmed. I don't allow it. I need to be organized to stay that way though. I take one thing at a time and what I'm not doing, I don't worry about. If I don't get to it or get it done, that's just life. I figure it's not going anywhere. there is ALWAYS too much to do.
I realize how easy it is to be overwhelmed. I could list a ton of things that I need / want to do, but I'll take them in the order that I feel like doing them.
I always have the toughest time deciding weather to go fishing, golfing, work on my bike, which bike to ride, work in my gardens or ponds, etc.  :)
I play life by ear.

Be Cool 8)

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 07:48:10 AM »
I've been feeling pretty overwhelmed this past year, battling cancer and all. :o :( :'(
But thank goodness gardening and ponding is my 'sanctuary'.
It's a wonderful distraction, makes me go into my little 'pondsai' world.
I forget about the bad stuff when I am gardening and ponding. 8)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 08:01:38 AM »
Me too Joyce (forget about the bad stuff). I have a stone by my pond that says 'gardening is my therapy' and that's my true belief.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 08:25:15 AM »
I get overwhelmed but I try not to let myself think about it. What gets to me is how much stuff I have to do and don't ever get to do things I want to do.
I work all the time. I'm hardly home enough to do anything there. My house is a mess and almost disgusting but I simply do not have enough time in the day to get things done. I don't have any choice but to work the hours I do as I have to keep us afloat. DH is working a little bit but still not able to go full speed yet. I don't get to paint anymore. I barely get any time with my horses. I'm not sure that I will even be setting up as many water gardens this spring because I just won't have the time to take care of them. I wish that the fire and EMS service was something you learn and your done with it but it doesn't work that way. You constantly have to be learning. There is always a certification to obtain or maintain. Its exhausting but its keeping the good money coming through the door.
So, I know what you mean. Life just gets too darn busy!
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 08:31:48 AM »
Yes gardening and ponding is my therapy also. It really helped me get threw my granddoughters transplants. The year before and still now when we go threw rough spots. My dh used to be able to help a lot, and he did. But as his diseases progress he is barely able to get his daily functioning done. The pond work took over my life and like Joyce said I would temporaly forget. But I know Tinks feelings. I get anoied because I didn't get to that bed on the bank. or I didn't get the top falls rerocked. I try to have more of Steve's attitude, it will wait for me, but then by waitting it became more of a job. I think I have gotten to the point where I do much more of what I want rather than what really needs to be done. When I make my list of to do's I try to alternate, 1 thing I want to do,1 thing I have to do. I started a bed 3 years ago in frount of my house. Well it's still only half dug and planted but oh well someday I get around to it.
P.S. I like this therapy thread, It's good for the soal.And better yet It's FREE!
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 12:45:58 PM »
Tink, is there any social services help for your daughter available where you live? I have a friend on another forum who has a very handicapped son and they recently looked into having assistance with him. I know when my dad came home from the hospital and needed help after he was hurt, the agency couldn't do enough to get therapists and aides to come in and help.  The aides stayed at the condo in the morning at times so Naomi could get groceries and once they stayed while she got her hair done. They would have prepared lunch for my father and even done minor housework if they needed it.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »
This past year has been a rough one for me. No one was seriously sick or hurt, but it has been tough. Things are looking up though! I'm looking forward to spring and free time to relax as I choose. We need a break!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline tinkster

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 03:20:15 PM »
Wow !  I so dont feel so alone :)

Ester.. my problem with my daughter is a unqiue one and we kind of fall in the cracks.  Her father had a series of strokes and heart failure.  From all the stress I suppose of having a terminally ill child for many years.  Her condition has improved past the terminally ill but it took its toll.  But anyway Kentucky is a strange state as far as help, its all income based and I could spend everything we work our whole life for and go on public assistance and get some help for her and live pretty good.. But that  would leave me nothing for retirement, my insurance etc.  And its just a matter of principal.. As long as I can do ebay and make a living I intend to do so.. just wish they didnt make it so hard.

I do have one agency that comes into the  "house" to help me bath her.. which is a laugh. They send me 90 lbs kids that couldnd lift one her legs let alone all of her.. But another bad catch, this program is the only way I can get a medical card on her.. ITs a waiver of our income. Cant buy insurance as she is uninsurable.. so I have to stay in this program and let the "tax payers" pay 120. a visit , twice a week for them to come watch me bath her just so I can get a medical card to afford her much needed medical care.. you tell me where it all goes wrong :(.  But I am really not complaining about that.  We were blessed with good insurance and some of the best medical treatment available for her "tuff" years.  IT wasnt until her fathers stroke and disabilty that we lost the company based insurance.  I meet so many thats kids could do so much better in life with proper medical treatment but its just not there. 

tinkster

Offline Pa Nancy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 03:31:02 PM »
Believe me you're not the only one who gets overwhelmed at times. I just try to break things down into smaller groups, making the mountain a bit smaller and climbable, though at times it is hard to do .  ::)

Offline Esther

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »
Well maybe that is why my dad had such good help seeing they both are on social security. Plus the fact that they knew that insurance would eventually be paying the bill.

So that just stinks that the help they send isn't enough to really be any. Shoot, maybe they could wash dishes while you bathe your daughter. At least make themselves useful.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »
Tink,

No, you're not alone. Try running a water gardening club and planning a major event for it, by yourself. Then I have projects that need to get finished, some that need to be started, and some that need to be done before the big event. On top of all of that, my wife is a member of a car club and they have meetings and special events that she wants to go to but in order for her to go with me to my club events, I have to go with her to her club events.

Sometimes, I just feel like giving up.

Scott
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline froggerLee

• Members
  • With us since: 24/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 05:54:17 PM »
Wow, seems many of us are in the same boat.
And..it also seems that many of us had our share of health problems this past year. My yard will need a complete overhaul, due to having a very bad case of sciatica last spring, which disabled me for a good part of the summer. Now, bending over for more than one minute is going to be a problem while gardening this year.

This old house battles us, in that we can never seem to keep us with the home repairs.

Shanna, you are in EMS, too? Me too, and you are so right about the classes and certifications and the like. Classes never end, and even on the job, we have computer tests and reading to do any given day of the week.
Lee

Offline Loony

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 11:12:13 AM »
I was stressed last spring between kid's graduations and DD's wedding. I wanted to redo a couple of beds and make everything look perfect. Then I hurt my shoulder and just keeping up with the weeding was hard to do. It was a good lesson for me to have to sit back and accept that I couldn't possibly do it all. I did what I could and got help from my family for the important stuff like pond upkeep. This spring I'm finally having surgery on my shoulder so I won't get much done this year either. I've learned to say "oh well" and get over it.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 11:33:14 AM »
Shanna, you are in EMS, too? Me too, and you are so right about the classes and certifications and the like. Classes never end, and even on the job, we have computer tests and reading to do any given day of the week.

Yes, I'm a volunteer EMT-B/FF1 for my local fire department and I work part time for the local airport as EMT-B/ARFF. Its always something. :) Seems like I'm always taking a test for something. ::)
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"